13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2008 8:24 AM by Jim_Simon

DVD to Premiere for editing?

A few years ago I transferred our home movies from tape to DVD. I now want to edit those dvd's. In researching this, I found a suggestion recommending that the VOB files on the disc be renamed to MPG. This worked and I was able to import the video to my project. Missing was the audio. I read another suggestion of using a 3rd party app to convert the VOB files to AVI. There seem to be several products that do this but I am not familiar with them. Does anyone recommend a product? Is a 3rd party product necessary? Is there a better way to import the video/audio from the DVD's?

Any assistance/feedback is greatly appreciated.
      Tom
        • 1. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
          Level 1
          Re-capture through fire wire.
          • 2. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
            Level 1
            Thanks, I may not have prefaced this earlier, but I'm new to this, so please pardon my inexperience. How do I re-capture through fire wire?
            • 3. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              The earlier suggestion was incorrect.

You can convert the files using a variety of software tools, many of them free. VideoHelp.com is a good place to do research on this kind of thing.
              • 4. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                Level 1
                Thanks Jim,
                I'll take a look. I appreciate your time.
                Tom
                • 5. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                  Level 1
                  >The earlier suggestion was incorrect.

No it's not. I do it all the time.
                  • 6. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                    Dont re-capture.

Use ULEAD to import from dvd and convert to avi type2.I never have problem with this approach.
                    • 7. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      > The earlier suggestion was incorrect.
                      > No it's not. I do it all the time.

And I've been known to "shoot" a spontaneous moment with my cell phone; doesn't make it good quality! (Sorry; couldn't resist.)

I don't use this method, so I don't recall, but I think it was Dan Isaacs who pointed out the downsides to this.

My approach is somewhat different from any of the conversion methods. The best output is going to be leaving the mpeg from the DVD alone. Don't convert it to anything else (which may involve a quality hit), and which also requires reconverting to mpeg to go back to DVD. This only works if you use cuts only editing, using a frame accurate mpeg editor (e.g. Womble, or I use videoredo).

Of course, you can't really "edit" using that method, and there are times where you need to convert - such as when mixing the footage with non-mpeg. I don't do it a lot; I've used an older version of AVS Video Converter successfully. Jim's suggestion to visit VideoHelp is a good one.

Another option is based on it being Premiere's problem with editing AC3 that is often the culprit, and some users advocate copying a decoder over. I don't know how/whether this applies to CS4.

The bottom line for best quality: never archive as DVD mpeg; if possible, go back and recapture the relevant parts of your movies in your current full quality preference.
                      • 8. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >I do it all the time.

I think you may have misread the question. Tom has a VOB file already on the computer. He wants to convert it to something else. 'Capturing' isn't involved.
                        • 9. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          If one is missing the audio from a vob renamed to mpeg just install a AC3 filter, that will give you your audio.
                          OP does not mention which version of Premiere. For CS3 you only need the install the ad2ac3dec.dll from the Encore CS3 directory into Premieres root.
                          • 10. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >OP does not mention which version of Premiere.

That's somewhat assumed here in the CS4 forum.
                            • 11. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                              juskocf Level 1
                              Hi, Ann, I copied the ad2ac3dec.dll from Encore CS4 to PPro CS4 directory, but still no audio from the vob renamed to mpg file.

Doesn't it also work in CS4 please ? Or am I missing something ?

Best Regards
                              • 12. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                                Level 1
                                VOB is a mpeg2 stream, and typically, unless you have a very short clip on a DVD, is broken into multiple parts.

You can use the free program, VOBmerge, to merge them into one file. At that point you will have a playable file. Premiere CS3.0 can edit mpeg2's fine, 3.2 is known to cause alot problems with mpegs, and i can only assume cs4 probably has the same, if not more, problems than cs3.2.

If you really want to edit them, then encode using lagarith as this will prevent degredation, though when you go to re-encode them back into mpeg2, you will now have 10% of the quality of your original DVD files, so dont expect anything great from doing this.

If you run into any audio problems, which you probably will if your audio is AC3, then demux the video using virtualdub (does vdub work with mpeg2? i forget), then take the resulting audio and encode it to 16/48 PCM wav, import them both into premiere and link them.
                                • 13. Re: DVD to Premiere for editing?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  >when you go to re-encode them back into mpeg2, you will now have 10% of the quality of your original DVD files

While I wouldn't recommend using DVD source for editing a broadcast project, the final result of the conversions you're talking about isn't nearly that bad. I'd wager that your average viewer won't notice any quality difference at all between the new edit and the original, especially using Lagarith as the intermediate. (Hell even using DV as the intermediate, which edits much better than Lagarith, shows no readily discernible loss in quality.)