7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 8:12 AM by (Richard_Ramsden)

HELP!!!     Problems with cartoon effect, audio and dynamic link....

Hi there
      Could anybody tell me if they have experienced the same problems as me, or found any solutions. I am using the Production Premium suite CS4.

Basically after updating Premiere CS4 to 4.0.1, i no longer get any sound from my video files (All Mpeg or AVI files).If i reinstall the software and dont update then it works fine, but i would like to be able to update as and when the patches come out. I am also experiencing difficulties with Premiere when i try to replace a clip with an after effects composition using dynamic link. Whenever i bring the clip in the video is jumpy and the audio is not in sync.

I also have a problem when i use the new cartoon effect. If i apply the effect and then try to render, all i get is a static picture with sound in the background. It doesnt matter what i try to output to, the problem is always the same. It does the same even when i try to do a ram preview. I have not tried all the effects, but the others that i try to use seem to render ok.

Forgive me if i am missing something obvious as i am fairly new to this software. I am wonder if my laptop isnt up to the job. My spec below appears to meet minimum on everything except hard drive speed and i am wondering if this is the problem.

Windows Vista.
      3GB Ram.
      ATI Radeon HD 2600 512 dedicated video memory.
      Intel 2.8ghz dual core.
      SATA 5400rpm 250 GB Hard drive???
      Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
        • 1. Re: HELP!!!     Problems with cartoon effect, audio and dynamic link....
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Disk setup will cause serious grief. 7200 RPM is minimum and at least 3 physical disks are recommended.

AVI and MPEG means nothing. What are the codecs used?
          • 2. Re: HELP!!!     Problems with cartoon effect, audio and dynamic link....
            Level 1
            Thank you for your reply.

As stated i am fairly new to this and only understand the basics. I dont know what the codecs are. The videos are shot on a jvc MG 330. This camera is really basic and created .MOD files that i have changed file extension to Mpeg2 or m2v in order to get them into premiere. This was something that i was told to do an another forum. I only use this software for playing around and creating films for family and friends.

I have cut and pasted some info from video properties dont know if this tells you anything.

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
            Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Please forgive me for my ignorance.

Could you tell me with the other hardware on my laptop is it worth upgrading and getting a faster hard drive or should i buy a desktop.
            • 3. Re: HELP!!!     Problems with cartoon effect, audio and dynamic link....
              joshtownsend Level 2
              Remember dynamic link to AE will never play smooth in the timeline. If your AE comp won't play at full resolution full time your Dynamic link will not suddenly play real-time just because it's in Premiere.

Also if your gonna start using AE you might want to buy a book or start taking online classes or buy a dvd or atleast spend 20 hours at video copilot. AE is about 1000 more complicated than any version of Premiere and unlike Premiere it's a program that is used in multimillion dollar music video's, TV shows and movies. In fact there is a whole industry based around AE (plug-in's ect).

It took me a good month of 10 hour days for After Effects to finally CLICK in my head.

Wait till you get your head around color management.

Harm is right though, you need a desktop to work AE unless you know what your doing off the bat. I have a top system and I was stoked a couple months ago to find that with my quad core OC'd at 3.8 and 8 gig Ram I was able to Preview a 1080 clip with now FX in AE at full frame rate. And I've been using AE for many years.
              • 4. Re: HELP!!!     Problems with cartoon effect, audio and dynamic link....
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >is it worth upgrading and getting a faster hard drive or should i buy a desktop.

I'd go with another camera first. For editing, a MiniDV tape based camera is really the best choice.
                • 5. Re: HELP!!!     Problems with cartoon effect, audio and dynamic link....
                  Level 1
                  Thank you for all of you for taking time to reply to my queries.

Josh when i have chosen to replace clip in premiere timeline with after effects composition, I have created composition, rendered it and saved it in after effects. I thought that the clip would then play ok in premiere without having to do anything else as it was renedered in after effects. What i have noticed is that if i delete the linked clip in premiere and import the clip that has been rendered and saved in after effects then there is no problem.

Im sure i will get better as i go on as i really love this software and am only just beginning to see the amazing power that it has. I have already watched many hours of training tutorials and am getting the basics.

I will also think about upgrading to desktop and buying mini DV camera. Does anyone have any suggestions as to suitable camera. my budget im afraid is no more than £300.

Also i have still not been able to get any sound from my mpeg files when i upgrade premiere to 4.0.1. i have noticed that others have had this problem but i m not aware of any solutions as yet...

Thank you again
                  Richard.
                  • 6. Re: HELP!!!     Problems with cartoon effect, audio and dynamic link....
                    joshtownsend Level 2
                    Do a preview render in premiere to render your dynamic link and make it playable. Push enter.

BTW if you go ahead and render your AE file that kinda deletes the point of dynamic link.