16 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 2:56 PM by Bwax

Basic 3d Effect - Swivel

When I add a title in premiere and attempt to swivel it 360 degrees, as it spins the text moves down then back up. Is this normal? If so how can I make it just spin 360 degrees around without the text moving down and up? There are no other effect or key frames on the title.

THX for the help - I'm new to this.
        • 1. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
          Phil Griffith Level 2
          start your keyframe at the first frame and end with key frame at last frame of your title. otherwise, you will go back to original location if you have frames past the last keyframe.
          • 2. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
            Level 1
            Keyframes are at the fist and last frames on the title. It moves down in the middle of the keyframes. In the middle of of spinning around. I notice it at 225 degrees and 56.3 degrees
            • 3. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
              Curt Wrigley Level 4
              What do you mean by "the text moves down"?

Also; Tell us the values of the basic 3d filter for both keyframes.
              • 4. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                Level 1
                As the swivel of the text approaches 56.3 degrees you can see the text appear to move lower on the screen. Just after that it seems to move higher on the screen as it approached 90 degrees. Then back down at 225 degrees and back up at 270. When you look at playback you can see the title as it spins seems to move up and down.

At the very first keyframe

Swivel is 0.0 d if I expand the swivel properties I see 1x0 d and -100 d below that is 337 d velocity 168.6 / second and -337 d

I I manually move the slider forward 5 seconds to 56.3 d I see 1x0 d -100 d 337 d Velocity 337.2 / second -337 d

Settings at the seconds key frame
                Swivel is 1x0.0 d
                1x0 d -100 d
                337 d Velocity 0.0 / second -337 d

Happy to take a screen shot and post it somewhere. Thoughts.
                • 5. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4
                  screen shot would be helpful.

Without it Im giessing it is not swiveling around the center of the text? This happens if your text is not in the exact center of th frame. You can correct this if the title isnt centered using the anchor point.

Curt
                  • 6. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                    Level 1
                    The only thing I have done to center the title is when i created the title clicking the 2 center buttons. I know nothing of anchor points?

I see that under fx Motion Anchor Point its not active and it set to 360 and 240.

Screenshot here: http://drop.io/27g75uq
                    • 7. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                      I was able to duplicate your problem here. I do believe you found a bug with the basic 3d filter. Out of curiosity I tested it in CS3 and it does not happen there. So its a new bug in CS4.

I cannot see any workaround except to do it in AE.

Sorry.

Curt
                      • 8. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                        Level 1
                        How can we make Adobe aware of the bug so it can be fixed?
                        • 9. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

FAQ:How/Where do I report a bug?

Cheers
                          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 250 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          Forum FAQ
                          • 10. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            Naw Adobe's perfect it's OE!!!!!!!!!!

Just joking, Bug is repeatable on my machine. But Curt has a good point AE is a great workaround (seems to be a common theme with premiere cs4)

Wouldn't that suck if they raped CS5 After Effects of the ability to render with out having to use AME?

AME is a great idea but forcing it (in CS3 you had a choice) as stand alone while still in 1.0.1 design it's really the main cause of most peoples CS4 problems.
                            • 11. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                              Level 1
                              Josh nice to know its not me - for 2 days I have been thinking I must be doing something wrong. Since i just started using premiere I have no idea how to do it in AE, but I will give it a shot. I followed Eddie's link to report the bug, but after following 2 links it says click the "Report a bug" button. Don't you know the report a bug button isn't there. So if you (or anyone else) can report this to adobe I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for being nice to the new guy.
                              • 12. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                I use AE, photoshop and illustrator for my titles so I'm spending 15 minutes filling out another report for something i never use. I'd rather them work on fixing all the more pressing issues....no offense man.
                                • 13. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                  Alas the swivel also jump up and down on my machine.
                                  • 14. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                                    Level 1
                                    It gets worse when you render! Looks like double vision :-(
                                    • 15. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                                      shooternz Level 6
                                      I tested - a title, keyframed to swivel 360 degrees (1x) and could not reproduce the issue.

PAL Project.
                                      • 16. Re: Basic 3d Effect - Swivel
                                        Bwax

Noticed the bug too and was very frustrated. It seems that the render order of the effects is getting messed up....but good news there seems to be  a workaround...not ideal but easier than doing in AE

(Brad_Newman) wrote:

When I add a title in premiere and attempt to swivel it 360 degrees, as it spins the text moves down then back up. Is this normal? If so how can I make it just spin 360 degrees around without the text moving down and up? There are no other effect or key frames on the title.

THX for the help - I'm new to this.

to make sure 3d does not clip off part of image or text or move it up or down you can do one of three things....

nest...easy and quick but make sure you're happy with length of clip cause there seems   to be no changing it or

create a new sequence and use this sequence to set up your track with 3d

once you have a separate sequence bring the sequence back into the main sequence (no need to do this if you nested it but remember the drawback here is you can't make changes) now apply your basic 3d. The program shoudl see this nested sequence as a fluid video so any effects you add with happen regardless of the time remapping timing.

the third is what I've been doing which is to add motion/scaling with transform instead of motion...that way you can maipulate the render order so the program renders the motion (transform first)....not sure if this will work with your problem exactly with text but the other two should.

.ps...see my similar post http://forums.adobe.com/message/1990006