38 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 1:23 PM by Jim_Simon

Export won't export anything

The export option works, settings etc but when it comes to save the edit in the selected format the exporting dialog box comes up but no file is save to the selected location.

We have tried to reinsall, checked the
      internet of a solution but with no luck, we have
      updated the product via the Premiere update and now when >file>export is
      selected we receive a popup sugesting the updated (select o
      k and the same result as above).

Windows VISTA 4GB Nvid 9800 SLI
      Operating System: Windows Vista
      Browser: Microsoft IE

Any help would be Massive
        • 1. Re: Export won't export anything
          joshtownsend Level 2
          "The export option works, settings etc but when it comes to save the edit in the selected format the exporting dialog box comes up but no file is save to the selected location."

when you say 'save the edit' to you mean render? also "no file is save to the selected location" did you tell it render?

Maybe you should rephrase you question and tell us what your source files are and what your trying to export them as. We need codec, PAR, resolution, all that.

Need more info...where's eddie and the blue box?
          • 2. Re: Export won't export anything
            Curt Wrigley Level 4
            Did you click Start Queue?
            • 3. Re: Export won't export anything
              Level 1
              Sorry, yes I ment render.
              I have not seen 'Start Queue"
              I Have selected file> export> media> (since the 4.0.1 update There is a dialo box "media encoder update available etc" the updater is up to date so click OK)> In export settings Any format, preset, I get the same results.
              In this case format=windows media - preset=PAL HQ - Output= desk top\sequence 01.wmv - export video /audio checked, - then I select OK, Exporting data diag box shows briefly then disapears. No file on the desk top though.
              • 4. Re: Export won't export anything
                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                After clicking OK to export, Adobe Media Encoder should launch and you see your export added to its queue. You need to click start queue for it to actually process. Since you arent seeing "start queue" AME isnt launching; with points to a bad install.
                • 5. Re: Export won't export anything
                  Level 1
                  Thanks for you prompt reply Curt, I have tried the install 3 times now, do you think any other software could be messing it up, vegas, avid, or and 3d apps max c4d etc. It migh be a vista permissions problem yet again. Any further though?

Thanks again at least Im on the right track now.
                  • 6. Re: Export won't export anything
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                    Just out of curiosity can you independently launch Adobe Media Encoder? What version do you have?
                    • 7. Re: Export won't export anything
                      Level 1
                      Hi Bill yes I can load encoder, Version CS4 4.0.1. I did notice that it is not happy with the dynamic links as i tried to bring in premiere (dynamic link error occured)"great help" that way. It will transcode and build fine
                      • 8. Re: Export won't export anything
                        Have been struggling with this same Export issue for several weeks.
                        Have PPCS4 on an xp Pro system (dual boot) and everything works fine; however with PPCS4 on a Vista x64 system (dual boot w/xp Pro), there are no successful exports.
                        1) when File -> Export -> Media... -> OK, get the Exporting Data screen for a few seconds, then nothing, no AME screen or no file created.
                        2) when doing the same sequence, with AME already running, the source files gets loaded into AME, hit Start Queue get the following log entry:

- Source File: C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\xmas.prproj
                        - Output File: I:\2008\slide show.avi
                        - Preset Used: NTSC DV Widescreen
                        - Video:
                        - Audio:
                        - Bitrate:
                        - Encoding Time: 04:36:26
                        12/16/2008 3:01:00 PM : Encoding Failed
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\xmas.prproj really exists, along with a number of other copies (e.g. xmas_1.prproj et. al.) from previous failures. So my work around is to reboot to xp Pro and do the Exports and boot back to Vista x64 for more editing and/or Encore.
                        • 9. Re: Export won't export anything
                          shogunii, what is your Vista drive called? I assume it is not C: and therefore AME is not looking in the right place. I have both OS's loaded but on removable disks, therefore Premiere/AME does not get confused.
                          • 10. Re: Export won't export anything
                            Level 1
                            Running on a Macpro 1, dual Intel 2.66 Mhz, 10GB ram; OS X and xp Pro on disc 0; Vista x64 on disc 1. Yes, when Vista x64 is booted, it's drive is indeed C:. This configuration is using Apple's Bootcamp to run all three OSes.
                            • 11. Re: Export won't export anything
                              Sorry for my PC mentality. but I am still wondering if the dual booting is somehow confusing Premiere since it cannot find the file.
                              • 12. Re: Export won't export anything
                                Level 1
                                shogunii, yep thats the same problem. If I pre open encode then Prem projects go into the que, Start the queue and band same error as yours - Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.

This is on a dual boot system making my boot drive 'f'.

What result do you get if you try to open any of the temp files i.e. "Source File: C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\xxxx.prproj" straight into encoder under file > prem project/ option. Mine blows out with 'dynamic link error'

I have a crash log now and can see that the drive letter issue is ok, all the paths look to be right.

The problem swapping OS for rendering is that the work im doing is very short renders, it takes longer to open prem than to put them together.
                                • 13. Re: Export won't export anything
                                  Sounds like you should formally report dual-booting as a bug. It probably was something that they never tested.
                                  • 14. Re: Export won't export anything
                                    @Glen,

can you please provide with a few more details like:-

1)Do you have ppro cs4 installed seperately on both partitons.
                                    2)Are your source files placed on the "xp Pro" partition?
                                    3)Try placing your source project on a sepearte data partition (basically which has no OS on it), i am getting a feeling that Vista-64 does not have the access permissions to the drive where your source files are placed and iam assuming that is your "xp pro" partition.
                                    4)Try this as well-->Boot into vista-64 and then goto the folder where your source files/project files are placed,then create a new text file,edit this file and try to save it,if you are not allowed to do this operation then surely the issue is that vista-64 is not able to access your project.

@shogunii,
                                    i feel that you are also facing the same problem,you also might want to try out the things mentioned above.
                                    • 15. Re: Export won't export anything
                                      Level 1
                                      Hi Shogunii,

1) only on the 2nd drive ( running vista32)
                                      2) no on the vista drive
                                      3) I have infact reset permission just to make sure nothing was bugged out
                                      4) I did check that first, after reading your earlyer post, from which I got the workflow straight in my mind. (thanks for that most helpful)

Is the project file that is sent to \Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\ The same as the one that you would save yourself, under file> save> ? or does it add the encoding info selected when exporting before sending to \Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\

I Think that makes sence!
                                      • 16. Re: Export won't export anything
                                        Glen

"Is the project file that is sent to \Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\ The same as the one that you would save yourself, under file> save> ?"

No it is not. That file is not produced until you go to File/Export/Media and finish choosing the type of output file and then close the Export Settings window. Then Adobe Media Encoder goes to that temporary intermediate file to do its thing. Unfortunately Adobe never deletes that temporary file.

Back to your original problem:

"The export option works, settings etc but when it comes to save the edit in the selected format the exporting dialog box comes up but no file is save to the selected location."

In the Export Settings window did you click on the Output Name setting and tell it where you wanted it to go. Adobe goofed on this one in that it defaults to the first place that you ever used the program and from then on you have to change the setting to your new project file location. Maybe you have your file out there just not in the location that you expected it. Not only is the Output Name set in that option but also the location. You would normally think that it would default to your Project location,
                                        • 17. Re: Export won't export anything
                                          Level 1
                                          Hi Bill,

I'm in the same boat as shogunii. On the exprot from prem encode won't work, if I pre open encode then, it appears in the que list. When the cue is then run I get a log file - - Source File: F:\Users\x2SLI\AppData\Local\Temp\Untitled_25.prproj
                                          - Output File: F:\Users\x2SLI\Desktop\Sequence 01.wmv
                                          - Preset Used: PAL Source to High Quality Download
                                          - Video:
                                          - Audio:
                                          - Bitrate:
                                          - Encoding Time: 38:35:42
                                          17/12/2008 00:09:39 : Encoding Failed
                                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
                                          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO The file is there! and NO there is no permission problems, ~If I try to manualy open it or anyother project file via encode I receive a "dynamic links error" diag box. I have reinstalled several times CS4, removing reg enteries.

Encode seem to behave fine with normal media files, it's just the projects
                                          • 18. Re: Export won't export anything
                                            I have several times seen a very similar error message when I had an operator error, I made one quick attempt but right now I do not have time trying to duplicate it. Will try later and get back here.

If that is not the problem I am guessing that Adobe hard coded some part of the encoder process to require a C: drive, because the everything looks good in the log file. If you have a chance you might want to put another copy of the temp file in the same place on your C: drive as your F: drive and see if you can have a work-around.
                                            • 19. Re: Export won't export anything
                                              fuaho Level 1
                                              I don't have time to be a beta tester for Adobe, but another thing I've noticed is that the so called "presets" also appear to be hardcoded and included in subdirectories of Premiere and AME. If so, this could account for a number of anomalies and will cause problems going forward as "standards" change or new ones emerge.
                                              • 20. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                Level 1
                                                Bill Thanks.

I've been there no joy.

William, this sounds more like the case. sent an email to adobe about a week ago, their response in short was "your the only complaint! tuff!!.

Without re-compiling software, there is no option to store temp files anywhere else, although this is not my main beef, it causes a problem as the files are not deleted, eating up you HDD and making you ruff through other temp files which are necessary.

I can not find any useful info on the dynamic link error.

I have moved the Project files every where, including the BIN!!.

I have been thing to open a prem project in AE, and receive "AE error: crash while invoking render plug in "ae open GL" normally AE is ok.

Oh man the plot thickens, thanks Guys
                                                • 21. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                  Glen, not only have I seen that same error message, here it is:

- Source File: C:\Users\BILLG~1\AppData\Local\Temp\BT2_2.prproj
                                                  - Output File: H:\V 400-1\Sequence 01.m2v
                                                  - Preset Used: PPBM CS4 MPEG2
                                                  - Video:
                                                  - Audio:
                                                  - Bitrate:
                                                  - Encoding Time: 00:12:42
                                                  12/8/2008 9:35:41 PM : Encoding Failed
                                                  Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.

It was caused by my error some how. I normally do not have any problem encoding. Now if I can just figure what that error was and how I corrected it we may have a clue?????
                                                  • 22. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                    got the same problem i really need some help in making this work

i'm going to try what was suggested but it might not work like the other guy
                                                    • 23. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                      Jake, do you have a dual-boot setup also?
                                                      • 24. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                        Level 1
                                                        nope vista x64
                                                        4gb ram

main hdd is C: project file is on another hdd

my video is hd if that makes a different

my main problem is that when i export i do start queue then it says loading...filename then i wait for about 10 mins then the project in the queue is grayed out and the 3 buttons on the top are active so i duplicate and start again
                                                        • 25. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                          For people having problems with "Could not read from the source." on a PC ( I have Vista SP1 Ultimate), and when the reinstallation of CS4 suite did not help:

Create a shortcut of Adobe Premiere Pro and name it Premiere.
                                                          Move/copy this shortcut to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\dynamiclink folder.
                                                          Start Media encoder. The export from Premiere will now work in media encoder.
                                                          • 26. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                            Level 1
                                                            OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH

i'm rendering now you saved me some time in troubleshooting

thank you
                                                            • 27. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                              Level 1
                                                              bogus181259 You are the MAN!! good job works fine now, the only other problem is that I still have to open encoder in the first place as export from prem still don't work.

Thanks for you help
                                                              • 28. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Yes, this work-around was posted here by Adobe Support on Dec 17th.

It is often worth reading other threads, even if you don't think they apply to you. ;)

I have learned a lot that way. :)

Cheers
                                                                Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                                                - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                                                - Over 250 free tutorials
                                                                - Maintained by editors like you
                                                                Forum FAQ
                                                                • 29. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                  I had the same issue, I finally got the Media Encoder to appear after re-installing it and loading the update for it and then starting it up manually. Then the queue actually shows the file when exporting from CS4 , But after starting Queue, a file is still not created. Will the work around suggested work for me?
                                                                  • 30. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

It can't hurt but your problem sounds different.
                                                                    Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
                                                                    Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                                                    - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                                                    - Over 250 free tutorials
                                                                    - Maintained by editors like you
                                                                    Forum FAQ
                                                                    • 31. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                      I did have a similar issue

I can start "Export - > Media" and set any parameter I need to prepare the export. When I export the "Exporting dialog box" comes up and finishes the task within a second. However now video file is saved.

The way I fixed this was to start the Adobe Media Encoder and have it running while I want to export a media. Without having the Adobe Media Encoder running I have no luck to get a export done.

System:
                                                                      Vista Ultimate 64x
                                                                      Intel Quad Core
                                                                      8GB RAM

www.StrongMocha.com
                                                                      www.PhotoMocha.com
                                                                      • 32. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                        Sully79
                                                                        I'm exporting to an MXF file for the first time with CS4. I've had hundreds of successes at this in CS3, but am baffled with the following problem:

In PPCS4 I choose File>Export>Media, then within Media Encoder I choose an output location on my V hard drive. For some reason the file is going to my C drive instead. I've struck out three times trying to keep the files off of my C drive, but the file still goes there.

What am I doiing wrong?

Dual Xeon 3.0 5160 Workstation/Vista Ultimate 64/16GB RAM/Matrox 4.0 with CS4
                                                                        • 33. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                          A copy of the sequence goes to the C: drive by default. This is so you can keep working on that sequence while it's being exported in the background.

The actual export will go to V.
                                                                          • 34. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                            Rick, if you just want to work off the original project and not a copy (I really doubt many people would go back and do more editing after they start encoding) just follow the steps below:

After editing and saving completely close Premiere, open AME and under "File" select "Add Premiere Pro Sequence" find your project and click once on it. It will look like nothing is happening but eventually in the right hand pane "Sequence 01" will appear. Select "Sequence 01" and the "OK" button will come on, click it. Then from the drop down menus select your encoding options from the "Format", "Preset" and "Output File" (location). If you want to modify the presets click on right hand "Settings" button and when you are ready hit the "Start Queue" button and you are off and running without Premiere being in the way and you will probably have a faster encode because you are not using the C: drive and its lame performance (especially if your project drive(s) are less loaded and/or are faster than the C: drive).
                                                                            • 35. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                              Sully79 Level 1
                                                                              Bill- Jim- Thanks for the help. I've not figured this out yet. When I save out of PPCS4 and close the program, I am able to open AME and navigate to the "Sequence 1" in my project. But when I try to render it I get the yellow "yield" sign at the right hand side of my que. I cannot proceed.

So I go back and attempt an output to my V-Drive again and once again there is no file at the output location when I'm finished.

One more weird thing is the resulting file that I located on my C-Drive and imported to the project for a looksee. It has conflicting information that worries me that I've somehow created a 1280x1080 file rather than 1920x1080. Here's that info:

File Path: V:\Finished Videos\Flavors of Carolina 313\CONTENTS\VIDEO\0001AA.MXF
                                                                              Type: Matrox MXF
                                                                              File Size: 4.0 GB
                                                                              Image Size: 1280 x 1080
                                                                              Pixel Depth: 0
                                                                              Frame Rate: 29.97
                                                                              Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Mono
                                                                              Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
                                                                              Total Duration: 00:05:00:13
                                                                              Average Data Rate: 13.7 MB / second
                                                                              Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.5
                                                                              Codec Type: DVCPRO HD
                                                                              Bit Depth: 8
                                                                              Scan Mode: Interlaced - Upper Field First
                                                                              Timecode: 0
                                                                              User Timecode: 0
                                                                              Actual Image Size: 1920 x 1080
                                                                              Created: Friday, March 13, 2009 at 14:10:24
                                                                              • 36. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                1280 x 1080 with a 1.5 PAR is correct for DVCPRO HD footage, if that helps. You should probably have created a sequence with those settings, rather than 1920 x 1080.
                                                                                • 37. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                                  Sully79 Level 1
                                                                                  Jim- Pardon my ignorance, but what is "1.5 PAR"? I've always thought DVCPRO HD was full 1920x1080.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Export won't export anything
                                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                    PAR is Pixel Aspect Ratio. It refers to the relative dimensions of a pixel. If it's square, it has a PAR of 1.0. For DV, the pixels are rectangular, and the PAR is .9. (This is how you fit 720 pixels into the required 640 horizontal dimension. You make the pixels slightly smaller, so you can fit more of them in.)

With high definition sources, however, things go a little backwards. The technocrats figured "Hey, if we can change the shape of the pixel to make more fit, why can't we change it the other way so we can use less than we need?"

HDV has a raster of 1440 x 1080, with a 1.33 PAR. If you multiply the 1440 x 1.33, you end up with the required 1920. DVCPRO HD uses 1280 with a 1.5 PAR, so if you multiply the 1280 a 1.5, you get the required 1920.

Only a few HD formats actually have a 1920 x 1080 raster with a normal 1.0 PAR. AVCHD and AVC-I among them. Most HD formats sort of cheat things by using a PAR greater than 1, so the raster actually records fewer pixels than required.