17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 10:21 AM by (Al_Di_Marzio)

How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?

Shahram_ve99 Level 1
      Hi
      Can anybody help me? I use TV monitor as second monitor for seeing my video output, I dont have capture card so I set it via my Graphic card, I am using Edius and I can see Timeline in full screen mode in TV but I cant set it in Adobes products, I changed some things in Preferences but nothing changed, can anybody help me and tell me how I can see Premiere and After Effect timeline in TV monitor via my Graphic card?
      Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Normally you can't. I'm curious myself to know if anyone's ever been able to make this work right, and if so with what cards?
          • 2. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Matrox Parhelia, it comes with a plugin for Premiere and AE (and some other programms)
            • 3. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Perhaps this will help?

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Unfortunately, none of that is quite what I think people are looking for, Eddie.

I think the idea is to basically have the GPU act as a Matrox RT.X2 type of card with regard to monitoring. The idea is to have the TV show a black screen under normal circumstances, and only show video when Premiere is running and something is loaded either into the Source or Program monitors. The Extend and Clone modes of most GPUs don't seem to offer this. They always want to make the TV some part of the Desktop, but that's not quite what is wanted and needed here.

Ann's suggestion of the Parhelia might be valid, but those cards are somewhat old and otherwise less capable by today's GPU standards.
                • 5. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                  I've made this work with my X1950 Pro Extreme 512MB, using the component video output and the Cinema mode from the Catalyst Control Center. For some reason or another, the composite and S-video outputs don't seem to work. Hasn't mattered much, since I have a Sony production monitor with component inputs. I seem to remember that it mirrors my main monitor (I should mention that I'm only using one 24" LCD for my computer monitor) when not in PPro, but from PPro it shows what is in the program monitor.

About the only time I use it this way is if I'm editing a DVCPROHD project, and want to perform some semblance of color correcting. Not perfect, but good enough for my purposes.
                  • 6. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Thanks for the info, Colin. Still not quite what I was looking for myself. ("it mirrors my main monitor") The goal is that the TV should be black when no video is playing, and never part of the Desktop. And ideally needs to work with both composite and S-video as well.

If anyone has ever been able to make that work with an nVidia or ATI card, please chime in.
                    • 7. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                      OK, a little more info, as I haven't tested this in awhile, until now. This is for an ATI X1950 Extreme Pro.

1) Using the latest Catalyst drivers, I'm able to get component, composite, and S-video output to my NTSC monitor. Looks good. Before, only component worked.

2) In "Displays Manager" in the Catalyst CC, you need to set your Secondary monitor (in this case, a TV) to "Extend Desktop 1 to TV". This basically gives you a two-monitor setup.

3) You need to set up "Theater Mode" in the Avivo Video settings of the Catalyst CC to "in Theater Mode (full screen)". This will output the content of your program monitor in PPro to a full screen preview on the external monitor.

4) Finally, when STARTING a new project (of course, I'm talking about CS3 here at the moment), you need to set Playback Settings > Realtime Playback > External Device to "Monitor:2 blahblahblah". I think this will vary depending on your graphics adapter, resolution and so on. At least in CS3, you have to do this at the time of creating a project; it won't be available after-the-fact.

Now, on to Jim's point about wanting the monitor to show black when not being fed video from PPro: I don't think this can happen with a standard graphics adapter. Since it has to be setup as a second monitor, it will always show "something" from the Windows UI. In my case, it's showing a second desktop when I'm not in PPro; there's no way I've found to make it show black.

To continue on that point, I also have a Blackmagic Designs DeckLink SP card in my computer. It also shows the desktop in extended mode. However, there is a SETTING in the BMD options that enables you to feed black to the monitor at all times when not actively using the display outputs. I think this is something generated by the card itself, not by the software or the OS. In that case, I don't think you're likely to find a standard desktop display adapter that will ever do this. It makes sense to us video types, but for the average everyday user, the support calls would be endless (ie. "Why is my video card broken?!?! It's only showing black!").

So, it's about halfway there. I'm going to see if this works in CS4, as well.
                      • 8. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        Yes, Virginia--it does work in CS4, as well. There is the added benefit of being able to enable output AFTER a project--or, more specifically, a sequence--is created. I've tested this with an NTSC DV timeline, and DVCPROHD 720p/24p timeline--both scaled perfectly to the external Sony monitor.

To the original poster: you enable all of this from the Playback Settings. It's the button that has the red, green, and blue circles on it, or its accessible from the Sequence Settings > Playback Settings. Just set your external device to your external monitor.
                        • 9. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >wanting the monitor to show black when not being fed video from PPro: I don't think this can happen with a standard graphics adapter.

Which is what I was afraid of.

For myself, step number 3 is where the process fell down for me using an X1650 and Premiere Pro 2.0, which is why I was hoping someone might have figured out a way to get proper video feed (black except when a video is playing, never part of the desktop) from a GPU.
                          • 10. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                            shooternz Level 6
                            In CS4 it is now designed to show the playback through an external f/w device. Including HD.

Easy to setup but it only half works. Has audio issues that I have posted about previously. Never had a single answer or response when I asked if anyone had them working properly.
                            • 11. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6
                              Craig,

Output through my DV cam to the same monitor still has issues. I couldn't find the old version of msdv.sys to try to get it to work, and I'm not going to worry about it too much. It's broken and bad, but fortunately, I don't need it that much. I didn't have issues like that when running CS3 on XP SP3, so it's something that was broken upon the install of CS4.

Using the video outs on my graphics adapter doesn't suffer the same issues. In fact, video is in perfect sync in both the program monitor and the external monitor, and the shows frames at the correct time based on the position of the CTI, unlike with the DV device output. I'll be using this for the time being.
                              • 12. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                                shooternz Level 6
                                I can always send you the file if you want it. It does fix part of the issue. (truncated audio clips)

The other issue I can not resolve also because of the audio double playback system utilised. (I know no other way of describing that Playback and scrub use two different play "outs") Whatever..it causes an issue!

Not sure if Black Magic will ever release drivers for my Intensity Pro. My guess is CS4 coding may have created problems for this to be developed and workeable.
                                • 13. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                                  dsladek Level 1
                                  I'm still using the Canopus ADVC-110 to output to a TV as a display device. The ADVC-110 is a great little 1394 capture device which which appears to your computer as though it is a DV camera, so can be used in either direction.
                                  • 14. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    Dennis

Can you get audio to synch in PC Monitor and the External Monitor simultaneously?

Do you see a difference when using scrub and playback?
                                    • 15. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >CS4 it is now designed to show the playback through an external f/w device

Premiere has long done it that way. But it's less than ideal going over the Firewire bus. That's why I was hoping for a Matrox-like monitoring solution from a GPU.
                                      • 16. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                                        shooternz Level 6
                                        It never displayed HD over the FW bus previously. Thats why I have a BM Intensity Pro Card (albeit without any CS4 drivers)

Now it can.

It is also managed differently than CS3 etc...
                                        • 17. Re: How can I see Timeline in TV monitor?
                                          (Al_Di_Marzio) Level 1
                                          This is a bit late folks, but I would like to share my solution to the problem. Thanks to your comments I have picked up clues and experimented on my own. For what it is worth, here's my fix.

We have two monitors and an nVidia GeForce 6800 GT card. A custom computer running Win XP, SP3. Production Premium CS4 package.

Until I get a second nVidia card specifically for the TV, I have to share my second monitor with the TV when I want to do color corrections.

Start by opening the nVidia control panel. Navigate to [Set up Multiple Displays]. You want to configure the two displays as independent. In my case I select [Display 1 of 2 + TV] and then select the primary display as [Display 1 of 2]. If you only have one display and a TV I don't suspect you will see these options ... but something similar.

Next, the secret ingredient (Kung Fu Panda). Navigate to the [Manage Custom Resolutions] selection in the nVidia control panel. Select the TV and create a custom resolution. Select the [Create] option and enter the TV resolution. I use 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high - standard definition. Yours may be different.

You can also change the resolution of your second display if it is a computer monitor by using the [Change Resolution] option in the nVidia control panel. In fact, the choice you make here will be read by Premier Pro and reflected in one of the choices for an external monitor. In using a TV, as we are, this will have no effect since we have specified the custom resolution of the TV in the previous step.

Now we can start up Premier Pro. Highlight the Time Line panel. In the top menu select [Sequence], then [Sequence Settings], then [Playback Setting]. Under [External Device] you will probably have 2 or more selections. One of them should say "Monitor 1024 x 768" or something like that. This is the monitor selection you may have made in the nVidia control panel under the [Change Resolution] menu selection. Other wise you have some default value.

Next set the [Aspect Ratio] to Software. This should pick up the custom resolution you set under the [Manage Custom Resolutions] selection in the nVidia control panel.

If all goes well, when you click [OK] to all the changes, your TV monitor should show you the contents of the Premier Pro video monitor. If you get half an image on your TV, then reboot your system. That clears it in my system.

In all the literature, that I have read from Adobe, this marvelous little nugget of connecting an external TV via an inexpensive video card has gone unnoticed. Or am I just dense? Don't answer that!