This content has been marked as final. Show 13 replies
There seem to be a couple of possible things:
The clips are of a different size, aspect ratio or audio sampling rate.
The clips are not actually linked/found even though they appear with thumbnails in the timeline.
The XML is not properly interpreted by CS4.
Until the update to v4.0.1, XML's could not be read at all, and I think it still doen't work properly.
The problem I'm having with this same issue, is that any attempt to remove, overwrite or in any other way modify these clips causes a crash with a sourcefile error (-236, I think). The error shows a partial path, but since much of it is [\..\..\src\.....] it doesn't mean much. I don't have it in front of me, but I'll add it to this thread later tonight if it will help.
We've pulled out all references to black video, universal leader and slugs from FCP before the export to XML but to no avail. There should be no problems with any of these.
No Harm, they are not "locked track," thin line stripes, but rather wide dark grey diagonal stripes.
In our case, we can actually play the timeline with no problems and see all the clips. However, no changes, etc., can be done.
In that case a shorter duration could be the case. But whatever causes this, the question remains why not finish a project with the software you started with? In this case FCP.
Because, in the real world, there are often changing requirements that are client, editorial or post-production driven.
So, the question remains, "What causes this?"
>it doesn't mean much.
Not to you but the more detail you provide the better people will be able to help you.
Please provide these details to help us help you.
PremiereProPedia ( RSS feed)
- Over 300 frequently answered questions
- Over 250 free tutorials
- Maintained by editors like you
It sounds like nested clips that had an original sequence length change.
William, people are trying to guess at the appearance of diagonals you are describing. Time to post a screen shot.
thanks for your thoughts guys,
I've taken over this project from someone hence changing platforms.
Must admit, i wasn't sure how to post an image straight onto this message so heres an external link to view.
my first thought was a locked track. then I realized that it wasn't the whole track, just certain clips. Only other thing I can see is the sync lock icon. what happens when you turn that off?
The stripes are "danger stripes". Normally they appear, as tlc51369 said, when the source sequence for a nested sequence is shortened. The duration of the nested sequence isn't affected by shortening or lengthening the duration of the source sequence, so Pr warns you that the nested sequence is longer than the source sequence by adding danger stripes.
You can also see them in a clip that has been shortened by time effects.
Do any of the striped clips have time adjustments (of any kind) applied to them?
You should also try using the Clip>Replace Footage command to "reload" the source clip.
From page 309 in the PP manual:
In some cases, the source media may not contain enough frames for clip handles. If you apply a transition, and the handle duration is too short to cover the transition duration, an alert appears to warn you that frames will be repeated to cover the duration. If you decide to proceed, the transition appears in a Timeline panel with diagonal warning bars through it.
@Ranger Jay & Jeff Bellune:
Thanks for the inputs!
FWIW, There are no nested sequences or time effects involved but there might have been a cross dissolve transition. I'll have to ask my editor to check the FCP sequence.
When PPro crashes, it displays:
"...encountered an error."
"...encountered an error."
I didn't catch the rest of that error message.
It doesn't make much sense that simply attempting to delete or modify the offending clip with the stripes should cause PPro to crash.
I'll try to see if relinking the media or modifying the XML prior to importing makes a difference.