13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2008 7:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs

Hi,
      I am using CS4 on XP.

I imported an avi file from my Casio Elixim camera. I moved or dragged the avi around the time line a little, deciding where I wanted it.

1) The clip won't play through it's entirety. For some reason CS4 won't play the last several seconds of the clip. If I play the same avi in Media player, I can see the whole thing.

2) Somehow...when I did get CS4 to play the whole avi, it would repeat the audio from the first or front section of the avi in the back.

I tried clearing the cash thinking it was using the audio from the avi when it was on a different position on the time line or something. This did nothing.

It seems the tool has problems aligning the audio of an avi with the avi - as well as problems playing avi files.

Frustrated in Columbus
        • 1. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I recommend using a tape based MiniDV camera if editing is your intent.
          • 2. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
            Phil Griffith Level 2
            Unfortunately, Premiere was designed and marketed for professional video editing. Your camera can hardly be called professional. In essence, you have a still camera that happens to take small amounts of video. You call it avi, but avi is nothing but a wrapper for what is actually in there. The compression codec is likely m.-jpeg, which is heavily compressed. Do a search on these forums and you will find that many people have the same results as you. The best thing you can do is convert the video to something premiere likes. dv-avi, uncompressed, etc. Also, Adobe premiere elements is more suited to consumer grade video (and a lot less expensive)
            Not to come down on you personally, but it amazes me that people will buy an inexpensive camera, then go out and (buy??) an expensive and professional video editing software and wonder why they don't work well together!
            • 3. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Sort of makes you wonder how may of them actually buy the software.

(Not directed at you Alex.)
              • 4. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                joshtownsend Level 2
                "Sort of makes you wonder how may of them actually buy the software."

I was thinking the same thing Jim.

You were right Phil.

Camera specs: Movies: AVI format, Motion JPEG, IMA-ADPCM (monaural)

STD Movies : 640 x 480 (30 fps)
                HD Movies: 1280 x 720 (30 fps)
                Hi-Speed Movies (HS): 480 x 360 (210 fps, 30-210 fps), 224 x 168 (420 fps), 224 x 56 (1000 fps)

Pretty cool 1000 frames a sec but 224x56!!!
                • 5. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  "I tried clearing the cash thinking it was using the audio from the avi when it was on a different position on the time line or something."

Don't get your money use your audio bro.

Sorry couldn't help it seeing 'cash' instead of 'Cache' is one the best typos I've ever seen.
                  • 6. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                    Level 1
                    Hi,
                    Well.......I'm a kind of mixed on the answers

- I certainly understand that you might not expect software to take a crappy recording and video.... and magically turn it into some high quality work of art. But this is NOT what I'm asking.

b HOWEVER

whichever codec used is a DEFINED standard. Cheap or compressed, but a standard none-the-less.
                    If the software can't "handle" the standard, then it should CLEARLY state this.
                    If the software only correctly "handles" other formats, then why not prompt me to convert my avi to a more appropriate format?

It's deceiving. I am not asking the software to make my video look like something it can never be......I simply expect it to "handle" the file as expected. If there's 200 frames, show all 200 frames. If somebody starts speaking on frame 120, then the correct corresponding audio should start on frame 120.

Frustrated and Cache-Hoarding In Columbus
                    • 7. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >If the software can't "handle" the standard, then it should CLEARLY state this.

You're not the first one using consumer hardware to think this. But it's much more practical for a company to state which codecs the software can work with, which I believe Adobe does.
                      • 8. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Alex,

Look into the Morgan MJPEG CODEC. It *should* take care of that aspect of your material. Main Concept has/had one, but something tells me that their situation has changed recently. Others can probably direct you to other mfgr's CODEC.

Also, you might want to do a search of this forum, plus the Premiere Elements forum. Since the advent of the Nikon N-90, a lot of people have been struggling with MJPEG CODECs and NLE's. You might get some good tips from those articles.

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                          Level 1
                          I appreciate everyone's reply.

I didn't see where Adobe CLEARLY stated what CODECs they support. The help file says 'avi' files period. Yes I know that avi is just a wrapper, but that is exactly what the help file, and the product web site states.

This is deceiving. What Adobe SHOULD state in their help file and product advertising is 1) that their product works optimally with the these formats and codecs and 2) works sub-optimally with these formats/codecs

The problem is this... I don't have time to do the research the software vendor should do if they want my business. It's these vendors and hardware and software giants (Adobe included) that created this mess of more formats than are ever needed. It's the LEAST they can do to assure it's clear what works with their product.

If they don't want to do adequate research and testing of their product to determine if it supports various codecs/formats, then don't advertise that it works all of these.

Frustrated By 'The Man' Who's Tryin' to Knock the Little Guy Down
                          • 10. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            Guess you didn't have the time to do a google search. First one that came up was this.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/pdfs/prempro_cs4_formatguide.pdf

I typed into google "adobe premiere cs4 codec support"

In the Premiere help (about 6th on the google search list) reveals even more. And it's actually from the Adobe help.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS01FCC81E-8CF6-437a-AAD7-A2D8F9175BF0a.html

Merry Christmas. Took all of 1 minute to do all that. Longer than it took for you to register and post.
                            • 11. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              This one you probably should have looked at before you bought it.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/supportedformats.html

The first sentence reads "...native editing support for DV, HDV, Sony XDCAM, XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, Panasonic P2, and AVCHD."

>I don't have time to do the research

Well then you kind of deserve whatever outcome you get. Caveat emptor is always good advice. (By the way, it also took me less than a minute to find the above linked page.)
                              • 12. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                                fuaho Level 1
                                @Alex Kerezy:

Now that all the really intelligent guys are done beating up on you while giving you no useful information, perhaps the following will help:

Download the LEAD MCMP\MJPEG codec found here:

http://www.leadcodecs.com/Codecs/LEAD-MCMP-MJPEG.htm

There is a demo version available that you can try before you buy. If it works for you, it is well worth the $9.95 to purchase it.

Follow the instructions to install it.

Open Premiere and create a New Sequence and new preset using Desktop as the editor and change all necessary settings to match your footage. You must do this before importing anything.

Set up your Previews using UYVY Uncompressed.

This should give you a good start on being able to import & edit your footage.

You will not be able to use AME to export in MJPEG because it does not work properly. You can either use the "Make Movie" method from After Effects, which works perfectly, or export to some other format using AME until Adobe fixes it.

BTW, MJPEG is not in fact a "highly compressed" format as many people think. It is merely a series of jpgs "flipping" by at some frame rate like 30fps. By comparison to DVCAM, HDV and other codecs like H.264, MPEG2, etc, MJPEG is far less compressed, much higher quality and much, much easier to edit.

HTH,
                                • 13. Re: Why Is The Tool So Lame with AVIs
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  William,

Thanks for the tip on Lead. I could only come up with Morgan, and knew there was another good one out there.

Hunt