16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2010 8:31 PM by ammd1

HDV and Mac

Level 1
      I have been trying to convert AVCHD files the last days, with not so good luck, and now it seems to bee even sader. When I was looking around for help in Premiere web sight I could reed that you can only export to tape with windows, is this rely true. Are we, the Mac-people secend grade customers ?
      Is there anybody who can help me with this, or should I get my money back and go for Final Cut, or is there a solution
      Anders
        • 1. Re: HDV and Mac
          Bob Ramage Level 1
          Good catch, Anders. You're right, exporting HDV to tape is Windows only in Premiere. No support for it on the Mac. Not sure why Adobe didn't add this in CS4.

You might want to take a look at Final Cut Express. It can handle AVCHD and does allow for HDV export to tape.
          • 2. Re: HDV and Mac
            Bob Ramage Level 1
            Out of curiosity, why are you exporting to tape? For me, the big advantage of CS4 on the Mac has been the integration between apps and the ability to author blu-ray discs (not available yet in Final Cut Studio).
            • 3. Re: HDV and Mac
              Level 1
              HeHe,I'm probably an old-timer, but the DV tape can be stored much longer, and is stronger. So I like to use Tape for safety reasons. I'm gonna buy a bluray soon, but tape is the thing for me anyway.
              Do you have some tip for me, using a Mac with CS4, is there some setup I don't wanna miss.

Anders
              • 4. Re: HDV and Mac
                Bob Ramage Level 1
                I archive my original XDCAM EX footage to dual-layered DVD (8GB at a time). It's cheaper than tape and I can keep the original file structure.

Don't really have any Mac tips for CS4. Adobe has some recommendations you might want to check out. Seems like having lots of RAM is a very good idea.
                • 5. Re: HDV and Mac
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4
                  Converting AVCHD to MPG2 then exporting to HDV tape is a less than desirable workflow. Thats 3 layers of aggressive compression. Bad idea. Buy a bunch of cheap harddrives. Thats the archive method for the hd world.
                  • 6. Re: HDV and Mac
                    Bob Ramage Level 1
                    Hard drives aren't very good for long-term archiving. In the short term (a few years) they're fine, but unless the data is accessed regularly in the longer term it can become corrupt.
                    • 7. Re: HDV and Mac
                      Bob Ramage Level 1
                      Here's some more info on the inadvisability of using hard drives for long-term archiving:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_hard_disk_warning.html
                      • 8. Re: HDV and Mac
                        Level 1
                        Yepp, like I said, Tape is the thing. Therefore it is a bit irritating that Adobe don't like to treat the Mac users equally.

Anders
                        • 9. Re: HDV and Mac
                          Level 1
                          Now I am finish with converting the AVCHD files to DV files. And that was easy, when I got some help.
                          Thank you Bob

It took 24 min to render 1 hour of AVCHD, timeline. Is that slow or fast ?

Merry Christmas
                          Anders
                          • 10. Re: HDV and Mac
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            20 minutes of DV footage will on single layer dvd. Avchd is pretty close. Why not save the original files to dvd instead of re compressing to dv. I'm also pretty sure that you can save data on DV tapes.

Think this might work better for you than recompressing to DV? It'll also keep your footage HD.

Does that make sense.
                            • 11. Re: HDV and Mac
                              Curt Wrigley Level 4
                              My point is; archiving to HDV is a bad idea regardless of how long tape lasts. I suspect this is near the bottom of adobe's list because it is not very useful to output to hdv tape. You should strive to get the video out of hdv format, not back into it.
                              • 12. Re: HDV and Mac
                                Level 1
                                How will you backup your projects, Tape is not expensive, and the reability is very high.
                                Disk and HDD is very unstable, and can easily be broken.
                                But I can see that tape is an extremely slow way to take a backup, but safe.

Anders
                                • 13. Re: HDV and Mac
                                  joshtownsend Level 2
                                  ANDERS,
                                  CD's have been around longer than dv tapes. Tapes can be demagnetized, get dirt in them, the tape it self can break easily. Why do you think tape is less safe than cd's, dvd's or blu rays?

Obviously you can make ten disk backup's in the same time as it would to one tape back-up. Yes disk's can get scratched, but you said 'broken'. Tapes are obviously more fragile than disks. My Cd's from 1989 still work fine after hundreds of plays. Something I can't say for beta or VHS I made in 1989.

I'm not saying I'm a hundred % right just using common logic. It's possible that you know something I don't. So can you tell me (or give a link) explaining why tapes are more reliable than disks? Serious question. Not trying to be argumentative or be an ******* at all.

Also are we talking about re compressing your edited back to HDV or are we talking about archiving raw footage?
                                  • 14. Re: HDV and Mac
                                    Level 1
                                    Yepp, I have seen a graph for some years ago, with expected lifetime for some medias. DVD CD Tape, and several types of them, I will try to find it again.
                                    It was also explained other risks, like sunlight, scratch, heat, cold..... and one more thing, if you damage a little bit of a tape, you can play the rest of it, that can not bee done with a CD, DVD.
                                    Note, I don't export to tape, to use the tape for daily use, it's for backup.

Anders
                                    • 15. Re: HDV and Mac
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >According to what I've been told, the life-span of a magnetic signal on a hard disk is between a year and a year and a half.

Hmm. I've had no issues reading hard drives that have been stored for about a decade. My own preference for backups is to make 2 copies on CD/DVD (depending on how much room I need.) Doing that on Blu-ray can be expensive, though, so hard drive may be the preferred method. My own experience tells me the concerns in that article are overblown.
                                      • 16. Re: HDV and Mac
                                        ammd1

I too would like to export my edited timeline to HDV tape for storage after creating a couple of copies of DVDs.  I mainly make home movies and want to keep the footage long term.  The raw footage, I keep on the original HDV, but I like the idea of creating a backup with the edited version as editing the video takes a lot of time.  Any idea whether CS5 will allow mac users to export to HDV?

Maybe I would be better off using my AVCHD Sony camera and backing up the raw footage to a Blu-Ray disc or hard drive.  Seems like we there are mixed ideas about the stability and security of those options for long-term storage.

If CS5 doesn't offer the export to tape, I hope Final Cut will work with Blu-Ray a little easier with its next upgrade.

Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Alan