20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2009 7:10 PM by the_wine_snob

Loading Project Hang

I'm having this problem:

I open a CS3 project in CS4.

I save it.

I open it again in CS4. This time Premiere hangs. The Load Project window stops at about 95%, and stays there for hours. I can move this little window, tough. Bit if I press the Cancel button, the main premiere window turns white, and I eventually have to close the program as it has stopped responding.

I've tired this in a dual boot machine, one XP (x32) and one VistaX64. the same thing happens.
        • 1. Re: Loading Project Hang
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Have you tried creating a CS4 project and importing the CS3 project into that?

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Loading Project Hang
            Level 1
            Yes. The same thing happens.

It imports OK, but when I save it, and re-open it, it hangs again.
            • 3. Re: Loading Project Hang
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Jose,

Are there any Effects used in the CS3 Project, that might not be available in CS4, maybe Matrox, or something else?

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Loading Project Hang
                Level 1
                the only strange effect is Magic Bullet Looks, but I hav it installed in CS4 also.

The strange thing is that when i import the CS3 project, everything works fine (including the magic bullet effects). But when I save as CS4 and re open, it hangs.
                • 5. Re: Loading Project Hang
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

Can you reproduce the problem using new projects? In other words, create a new, simple CS3 project and test it in CS4.

What I'm trying to rule out is that the problem happens for all CS3 projects.

Cheers
                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                  • 6. Re: Loading Project Hang
                    Level 1
                    SO Far I think it has soemthing to do with the size of the project.
                    I made a new CS3 project and started importing P2 720p video files, and saving it. Then opening in CS4, saving and re-opening.

The projects re-opened, around 40 GB of video.

As I added more files, the project stopped opening. So far, the project adresses 88 GB of video, and the project file itself is 49 Megs.

I also tried to purge my original project of unused files, leaving me a 21 Meg project file that only had the video files used on my timeline, but that didn't work either.
                    • 7. Re: Loading Project Hang
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

Some interesting observations there.

If you create a CS4 project from scratch can you use in excess of 88 GB of video?

Cheers
                      Eddie

Forum FAQ
                      • 8. Re: Loading Project Hang
                        Level 1
                        I made a CS4 project, added the 88 GB of video, saved and re-opened.
                        And although it took it's sweet time to load (about 15 minutes), it eventually opened.
                        The only difference between that one and the CS3 one, are the edited sequences.
                        • 9. Re: Loading Project Hang
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

I'm afraid at this point you will need to speak to Adobe.

My only recommendation is to complete CS3 projects in CS3 and start new projects in CS4.

Cheers
                          Eddie

Forum FAQ
                          • 10. Re: Loading Project Hang
                            Level 1
                            Never ever upgrade while in the middle of a project. That applies not only for Premiere, but for any other creative application out there...
                            • 11. Re: Loading Project Hang
                              Any updates on this issue? I have the same exact problem with a project that was created in CS4. Fairly simple project for a 4 minute music video. I've started saving versions and if I end up saving 8 times during a session only one of those actually reloads. All the others have the same behavior noted here. Load Project dialog hangs at 95%. No crash, no error, just hangs. I've let it "load" all night with no change.

Any project file that has this problem will also not load in Adobe Media Encoder.

I'm heading back to CS3 for the time being. I've already wasted a lot of time because of this issue and can't afford any more.
                              • 12. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Rick, to test whether the project or just some clips are corrupt, close PPro, rename the folder where your source clips are, to effectively hide the clips from PPro. Now open the project and chose "offline all" when prompted. Does the project load?

Cheers
                                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                • 13. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                  JohnJackman

Exactly the same problem, except with a PPro 2.0 project.  I can load the PPro 2.0 project, it seems to work fine, save as new name out of P-CS4.  Cannot now open the CS-4 saved version.  I have tried renaming the main folders and have not even gotten to the "where's the file?" requester, which comes at the END of the load.

Progress bar about 85%-90% hangs.  Just as you said, if you click cancel you get a white screen.  If you use windows to terminte program, it says the program is waiting for a response from you -- but there is no response window up except the loading progress bar.

This is not an emergency because I can go back and finish in PPro 2.0 but I think it is a serious bug.  If it's due to a missing FX or file, shouldn't we have gotten a flag about that on the initial load of the PPro 2.0 or CS3 project?

This is ONLY after the loaded earlier project has been saved out of P-CS4.

• 14. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

It sounds like there might be a dialogue screen that is hidden from view for some reason.

A couple of questions:

1.) did you ever have more than one monitor hooked up to the system?

2.) if you choose Project New, and then Window>Workspace>[choosing a default, or known good custom], and then Close Project, Open problem Project, do you see a new dialogue box anywhere?

3.) can you shrink PrPro down to a smaller size, then Open problem Project and see anything, anywhere, if you move the smaller GUI around?

Since Windows is telling you that the program is waiting for a response, I'd consider the possiblity that for some reason, you are not seeing a dialogue screen. Do you have any sort of GUI enhancer, like Window Blinds?

Back before Workspaces were introduced, a friend came by with his Macbook to show me how well it worked with PS. He set it up, and went to do some adjustment with Highlight & Shadow. PS and his Macbook both hung. No Esc, or other would get him to working. We thought for a bit, and he menitoned that he always had a second monitor hooked up at his studio. I grabbed a spare monitor and hooked it to the Macbook. He rebooted and tried the same thing again. This time, we could see the Highlight & Shadow dialogue box, way off to the side of the second monitor. He dragged it back to his main screen and all worked perfectly. Hidden box, that he could not see, or access. That is why I asked about the second monitor, though it could be another similar display problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                      JohnJackman Level 1

Thanks for trying to help, Hunt, but I don't think that's it.  I have three monitors, all up and fully displaying entire workbench.  Tried this with PPro scaled down so workbench was mostly visible, same result.  No requester window, and display has never been set to larger than it shows currently.

If your idea was correct, then the same would happen when originally loading the project, since the same files or filters (or whatever) would be missing.  But Premiere doesn't ask for these until the very end of the load, we never get there.  And it only happens after the project has been saved out of PP-CS4

I think this is a bug.

• 16. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                        xleggs Level 1

I experience long hang time with some of my CS4 PP projects. A project can take as long as 5-15 minutes to go from the bar being 95% across to having the project open.

It seems like its more with the larger project files, but none of mine are really all that big.

The other place I've noticed extraordinarily long loading times for projects is in Adobe Media Encoder. When I start a queue- of the first 10-15 minutes is spent loading the project. (I just timed one at 12 minutes)

Insight from my mac experience:

As a long-time FCP user, I always avoid exporting directly from a timeline through compressor. I always output a full res movie, then open that in compressor. I'm thinking that PP is unable to do that because it seems EVERY media export routes through the encoder. In FCP, you can output directly from the timeline, and a full-res movie without recompressing goes quite quickly.

Its been my experience that when programs try to talk with one another- one is bound to get confused.

• 17. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                          frazbama

For some reason, the PPro CS3 doesn't load.  I see it loading in the box in the middle, but then it just blinks and refuses to open.  Any ideas?  It was working fine a day ago.  I have the CS3 suite and the rest of the applications open fine.

• 18. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. You task is to try and find out what has changed.

A simple OS update can render your video and audio drivers instantly obsolete. Things like that would be where I'd look.

I keep several Restore Points (manually set), just for cases like this. I also do not let anything automatically update, so I know what has been done and when. That helps me get "back."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                              frazbama Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  I am relatively new to the editing tools.

Yesterday, the computer shutdown before closing the PPro 3.0 file.

Should I reinstall the CS3 Suite to another HD or something?

The backup copy of my edited video opens in PPro 2.0, but when rendering,

gives an error message:

Thereafter, Ppro 2.0 automatically closes.

• 20. Re: Loading Project Hang
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might get you started tracking down some clues. As I point out, much of what you see is likely to be "gibberish," but there should be a gem, or two, that might help you get started on the road to a solution.

Troubleshooting can be a tough road. If you can use the material above to gather some "clues," this ARTICLE might point you in the right direction to helping someone find your particular cause.

Good luck,

Hunt