12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 7:47 AM by Takyc

Copy transition

Takyc Level 1
      I'm so disappointed in Premiere Pro CS4, there is still no way to save a transition settings to a preset, or to copy the settings of a transition from one to another.
        • 1. Re: Copy transition
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Sorry to hear, but you can always file a feature request.
          • 2. Re: Copy transition
            Takyc Level 1
            I already did when I found out there is no copy and paste transition funcationality when Premiere CS3 came out last year.
            • 3. Re: Copy transition
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              You can copy and paste transitions: PPro CS4 Help Doc.

I don't know if you can paste to an EXISTING transition, but you can definitely paste a copied transition to an edit point that doesn't currently have a transition.
              • 4. Re: Copy transition
                In CS4 you now can copy/paste a transition.
                • 5. Re: Copy transition
                  Takyc Level 1
                  oh woow that's great news. I will check it out now. Thanks guys
                  • 6. Re: Copy transition
                    Takyc Level 1
                    Just tried it. it doesn't work quite the way it should be.

When I paste a transition to a new spot, it only copy the transition without any settings changed. For example, I created a iris round transition with a yellow border. After the paste, the new transition show no border just like the default settings.

That's pretty useless consider if I set that transition as the default transition, then use marquee to select all the clips I need to have the transition applied, then use "Sequence, Apply Default Transiton to Selection".

For what Adobe provided with the copy and paste transition, I still need to go to each transition and tweak the settings I need (for example I need to set the Flip Over transition to a black background instead of the default grey background).
                    • 7. Re: Copy transition
                      Had a go at the transitions:
                      They do copy the settings as you can see in the effect controls but they do not show in the program window.
                      For some 'odd' reason a added a keyframe to the opacity to clip preceding the pasted transition: and guess what? It worked.
                      • 8. Re: Copy transition
                        Can someone confirm this? Jeff, Eddie?
                        • 9. Re: Copy transition
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                          I rarely use anything other than a dissolve so ive never tried customizaing and pasting a transition.

So I just tried it:

I put 5 clips on the timline, added a round iris to the first edit point, (customized); I coped and pasted it to the other 3 edit points and the first two behave properly with the custom settings, but the last one behaves as default. So I added your opacity keyframe at 100% trick and that made the last transition work with the custom settings.

Looks like a bug to me.

Curt
                          • 10. Re: Copy transition
                            I also rarely use anything other than the cross dissolve, maybe a dip to black.
                            Thanks Curt for testing.
                            • 11. Re: Copy transition
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

This work-around is the same one used to solve another transition problem. See the following FAQ added by Jeff Bellune: FAQ:Why do my transitions stop working after I render?

Cheers
                              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                              - Over 250 free tutorials
                              - Maintained by editors like you
                              Forum FAQ
                              • 12. Re: Copy transition
                                Takyc Level 1
                                I creaetd slideshows using Premiere and need to use the Gradient Wipe transition a lot. Imagine for 50 photos I have to customize 49 times of the same transition.

I couldn't get even one transition copied with customized settings. All copied transition has the default settings. The customized settings show up after I added a keyframe. It's a pain.. but at least it works. Thanks for the workaround.

Is there a way to copy and paste to multiple cut spots? The help document said "Draw a marquee around the cut line where you want to paste the transition." I'm not sure what does that mean. I can only paste to the current time marker red line and have that current video track selected in order to paste the transition. Did I do something wrong?

Thank you very much.