1 2 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2009 6:53 PM by joshtownsend

Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media

mickkeay Level 1
      Hi all, I recently changed pcs after a m/b failure. I have revovered my data and projects and all is sweet. However my stills and audio files are now in a differnt location (I had a good tidy up!) When I open a old project it fires up with media offline and I can re link the media no problem. However I have a couple of projects that have loads of stills and it is a pain to re-link individually. Is there a quicker way (without replicating the old directory structure - which was lousy) Thanks and happy new year to y'all
        • 1. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Unless the stills and audio files are in the same relative location, there is no way Pr will be able to find them automatically. Sorry.

Happy New Year back atcha. :)
          • 2. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
            Sun°
            Something to consider for CS5?? (ha!)
            • 3. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Given that a user could have more than one file of the same name in different folders, I don't think that will ever become a practical reality.
              • 4. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Jim,

You pointed out a potential major problem.

Got handed a Project that had been set up and worked on by others. There were over 20 "1.MOV" files used! (There were just as many "2.MOV's" and "3's," etc.) Not only did I have to link each one manually, I had to view each, try and establish the context vs the content and then use trial-n-error. It was a nightmare, but imagine if these had been automatically and arbitrarily linked!

One big lesson in layout, structure and file naming. This was definitely NOT the way to do any of those.

Good point,

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                  Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3
                  Here are two methods we use:<br /><br />Method 1.) We save a backup of the latest Premiere Pro CS4 project file just for safety. Next we open the project file we need to link media in Notepad. In Notepad with the file open, search for "filepath". Keep hitting find next until you find the original drive letter indicated after FilePath which looks like this: <FilePath>E:. If the original drive letter was "E" for instance, if practical, change the actual hard drive letter on your computer to match the file path indicated in the project file. Then the project will open without linking media. This will work unless of course, you had media in the project scattered over various drives.<br /><br />Method 2.) Put all of the media that was in the project into one folder. If you don't want to change the actual hard drive letter on your computer, you can open the project file in Notepad and do a "find and replace", replace all. In other words, replace the old drive letter with the new one. Example in Notepad:<br />Chose "Replace"<br />In the dialog for instance "Find what" could be: <FilePath>X:<br />"Replace with" could be: <FilePath>E:<br />Hit "Replace All" and every instance of the old filepath in the Premiere project file will be replaced with the new drive letter.<br />This allows us to avoid the tedious and time consuming chore of re-linking media in Premiere when a drive letter changes. Our company is currently using external drives to store media files for projects. When these drives get moved around from one of our editing systems to another, XP sometimes changes the Drive letter. The above 2 solutions save us time and unnecessary work.
                  • 6. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                    joshtownsend Level 2
                    Charles BRILLIANT POST!!!!!! Thanks a ton. this is very useful info when it comes to massive projects, multiple backs-ups and migrating to other systems.

Didn't know you could open Project files in wordpad. Makes sense. Wish Adobe would mention things like this in there help. You just saved me hours and I just got lucky reading this post.

Seems like it wouldn't be to hard to make it so Bridge could help with this in a future release. Need to add to the Adobe wish-link.

Gonna bookmark this!!! Amazing.
                    • 7. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                      mickkeay Level 1
                      Yes indeed - top tip - worked a treat too. Thanks Bill
                      • 8. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                        Level 1
                        Charles info was very interesting and helpful. But most of the time, it shouldn't be that complicated.

When you FIRST open the project, it will start asking you where things are. If you had, say, 150 stills in a folder in the original project, the FIRST still that comes up will need to be found manually. But it should find the rest on it's own. When you get to the preview files, there should be a button that says "Skip Previews".

I've reorganized a few times, but I usually only have to manually find 4 or 5 items and everything else happens automatically. You have to do it on first start up.

If you miss a few or skip something, you can save it and restart it, it should give you the option of finding what you missed the first time.
                        • 9. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >it should give you the option of finding what you missed the first time.

Is that new, because previous versions of Premiere would not do this. If you saved and closed a project with files "offline", Premiere would never again ask where they were and you had to manually relink them. That's why it used to be critical to do this upon first opening. You never got a second chance.
                          • 10. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                            Phil Griffith Level 2
                            I believe it's the same. It won't ask you again.
                            • 11. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Jim,

Your observations are the same as mine. This is why if I am having a problem with Assets, I do not Save, but Save_As when I select Offline All. Then one still has the original Project with the links intact, even if they are not working for some reason, plus the Offlined version.

Had some Assets get "lost" once, and never found out what sort of OE contributed to that. Re-linking to each did hold for the duration of that Project. Other time was a migration of an older Project and even the normal behavior of PP finding all (in the same location) after the first is Linked, did not work. I attribute that to the migration aspect, and some faulty housekeeping by the previous editor.

Once you Save with files Offline, you will have the manual task ahead of you of re-Linking. Maybe CS4 is "smarter?"

Hunt
                              • 12. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                At work, we sometimes have 3 or more editors contributing to the same project. Work styles are different. On a recent corporate marketing video I worked on (done is CS3), I had media, web grabs and stills from nearly every department in that company. For sanity sake, I organized everything into folders within the main project folder in order to make things easier to find. After the first video review, department heads came back to me with the "new logo", I had somehow received the old logo, the web demo had actual people's names with their credit ratings, had to change that etc. By the time the video was finished, I had lots of folders and folders within folders.

It's been my experience with the previous Premiere CS3, that relinking media within Premiere when the drive letter changed also involved finding and linking media within the individual folders within the main project folder. The trouble is compounded if the editor had media scattered across multiple drives.

I haven't had to revisit a CS4 project yet. It may now be smart enough to find the media in the subfolders once the new drive letter is determined. I need to check that out.

Last Friday, I did have to put together an old CS3 project. First, I tried to open the project with CS4. Premiere indicated all media was offline. I saved a backup copy of the original (not CS4 converted) project file and opened it in Notepad. I searched for filepath until I found the original drive letter. Another USB external drive on the system was using that drive letter, so I disconnected it. I gave the drive the project is on, the correct original drive letter indicated in Notepad, and everything opened without Premiere asking for any files.

An alternative that makes things easier with an old project You're re-linking in Premiere without the "Notepad method" is to empty (copy and paste) the contents of the folders within folders into the main folder. This way Premiere re-links it all in one step when everything is in just one folder.
                                • 13. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                  Always save a backup of the project file if you open it with Notepad.

A few years ago when we were using the Matrox RT.X100 Card in our systems, we would sometimes end up with a corrupt project file that Premiere would refuse to open. In messing, trying to manually repair the (XML) Premiere project file, I learned that it takes very little to wreck the file.

As an experiment, I took a copy of a good Premiere Pro 1.5 project file, opened it with Notepad and changed one character in the XML code. I learned, all it takes to trash a Premiere project file is one bad character of code. Although I haven't wrecked a file yet with Notepad I strongly recommend that you only open COPIES of a project file with Notepad.

It would be great if the next version of CS offers the ability to VIEW (if changing the drive letter is practical) or CHANGE the original filepath within a project file.
                                  • 14. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                    Charles again AWESOME posts. YOU ARE THE MAN.

"it should give you the option of finding what you missed the first time.

Is that new, because previous versions of Premiere would not do this. If you saved and closed a project with files "offline", Premiere would never again ask where they were and you had to manually relink them. That's why it used to be critical to do this upon first opening. You never got a second chance."

In After Effects it works correct. If your missing a file and you 'link' it to the correct one, it finds all the missing files in the same folder. I had a project with files on multiple harddrives then moved it to another system. Open the premiere project in AE found all the missing files then exported as a Premiere project. Was way faster.
                                    • 15. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                      If you manualy have to relink files you select them all in once in the project panel. Select the first one and the rest will follow.
                                      • 16. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Ann,

I tried that (in PP2), and it would not let me re-Link the grouped Asset files. Things have probably changed in later versions. This is good news.

Thanks,

Hunt
                                        • 17. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          Charles,

Thank you for sharing your workflow with this and also for the caveat to Save a Copy of the Project. Too often users will rush to get the work done and use their original Project file, with no regard to working on a Copy. Good one.

Hunt
                                          • 18. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                            Hi Bill, the workflow is still the same, worked in PP2 and still does in CS4.
                                            • 19. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                              Hi Bill, the workflow is still the same, worked in PP2 and still does in CS4.
                                              By the way CS4 rock sollid, cannot get it to crash.
                                              • 20. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                fuaho Level 1
                                                C'mon over to my place & I'll show you how it's done!!

Import an XML from FCP with a "Slug" in it instead of real "Black."

"Sorry, Premiere has encountered an error. We'll try to save your project before collapsing into a heap..."

:)
                                                • 21. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  Thanks Ann,

For whatever reason, I could not get PP2 to handle multiple Assets this way in the Project Panel. I'll chalk it up to OE, but it could have been the origin of the Project files, P6.5 Mac. Got it done, so I might not get back to it, but will try again (per your description), if I do.

Happy New Year!

Hunt
                                                  • 22. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                    Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                    This doesnt help with the past, but it may for the future. before you archive a project, run the project manager on it and use the pref to collect and move all files into one project folder. This will help a heap if you ever have to open it from a different drive down the road.

Curt
                                                    • 23. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                      Had a period of boredom, so for fun a made a project with media spread across 4 subfolders of the root project folder. Copied the project to a new drive and opened it. It opened and found all the files by itself with no prompting. The key is to use the same root folder and locate files in subfolders of your root folder. Where you will see manual re-linking is if you spread media across different root folders or drives.

Curt
                                                      • 24. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        Curt,

That sounds like a great idea. I would never have thought of doing an Archive, when I was just starting the Project, though it was actually begun well into the past. I see the wisdom of this approach. That well might have saved me a ton of work, but I finally got the Links in order. I will remember this and give it a go, if I'm confronted with similar.

Thanks,

Hunt
                                                        • 25. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                          I had to put together yet another Premiere CS3 project. It was a standard definition project that had scaled down 1080i clips shot on our Panasonic AG HVX 200P camera. The quality of the video from this camera is excellent. It looked great even scaled down to standard def. The main issue for us with the MXF files this camera uses is lack of preview thumbnails in Explorer and Bridge and hi-def media archiving, organization or whatever you want to call it. After the project was originally finished, I didn't think it would be revisited in project format, so I organized the MXF files with all of its associated files into folders with long descriptive names. This makes it easier to locate shots in the Premiere CS4 Media Browser for future projects.

Re-linking media in the project took a couple of hours after I renamed the upper MXF folders a month ago . One workaround would have been to Use Premiere's Project Manager to create either a trimmed project or a copied project for archive purposes. The disadvantage for us is all of the duplicate files taking up drive space. On the up side I have seen the new Seagate 1.5TB drives for $129.
                                                          We really need to build a media archive server (Big Bucket as opposed to SAN) that uses either a Raid 1 for safety or even possibly a Raid 6 using one of the Adaptec Raid Cards. Any of you using a media server?

My co-worker who shot the last batch of 1080i on our HVX200P used a FireStore as well as the ridiculously expensive P2 Media Cards. Both provide the convoluted MXF format. I haven't had a chance to use our P2 camera except to test it with CS4 OnLocation. When I captured 1080i directly into our editing computer through OnLocation CS4, Instead of capturing in the annoying, scattered typical MXF format, capture to disk was in the form of a honkin self-contained *.avi file!

The AVI file looked identical in dimension and quality to the MXF we get when using P2 media or the Firestore. Makes me want to attach a notebook computer with CS4 OnLocation to the camera or carry it in a backpack on video shoots. The self-contained hi-def video format from OnLocation seems to be the way to go. Less archiving headaches and gives a thumbnail preview same as standard definition AVI's. One could also purchase a laptop with CS4 software for less money than it would cost for a pair of large capacity P2 cards.

The Panasonic manual is written in broken English (All your base are belong to us) It would give Monk's brother suicidal tendencies.

I have only spent a couple of hours with this camera. Any comments?
                                                          • 26. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                            joshtownsend Level 2
                                                            I just finished a movie using P2 on CS4 here's the link. http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b770a1/0

I'm not sure what your asking asking here. Your gonna have to stay tethered to a computer if you shoot that way. Also a lot depends on the codec your making your avi's with. I'm not sure if onLocation records DVCPROHD if so your OK but we need to know what codec and bitrate your recording when you make the avi's.

Since you now use CS4 why does P2 structure bother you? Media Browser in Premiere makes accessing them one click with thumbnails like it was one file. Why would you want to have to stay tethered to a computer?

If you really want a single file (and don't care about all that metadata) you rewrap them into avi or .mov with Cineform and Raylight.
                                                            • 27. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                              I just wrapped on a four day shoot where I served as a sort of 'Media Organizer', as well as Second Unit Director and Editor. Day 1 we used a Firestore, but had some difficulty getting the media offloaded at the end of the day. Day 2 I decided to use Premiere for live capture, logging my shot/take notes as I went. As the editor, I have to say that this method of production beats any other I've been a part of.

I went into the editing session with a separate clip for every take of every scene, already on the hard drive and in the correct bins, with notes on how the take went so I could quickly pick out which ones to use.

The last few scenes of Day 4 were shot using OnLocation (which will capture using the DVCPRO HD codec). What a marvelous tool that piece of software is. I LOVE the monitor and scopes, and recording was slaved to the camera so a separate clip/file was created every time the camera op started and stopped recording (something even the Firestore couldn't do with the four pin connection the camera had.)
                                                              • 28. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                josh townsend wrote:
                                                                I'm not sure what your asking asking here. Your gonna have to stay tethered to a computer if you shoot that way.

C.A.M. Reply:
                                                                For stationary interviews, recording to a laptop using OnLocation would be fine for us. Looks like a pair or the new 64GB P2 cards will run around $5000. I can buy a 64GB Corsair Flash Drive on sale at Fry's for under $70. There can't be that much difference in the technology to justify that kind of price difference.

josh townsend wrote:
                                                                Since you now use CS4 why does P2 structure bother you? Media Browser in Premiere makes accessing them one click with thumbnails like it was one file. Why would you want to have to stay tethered to a computer?

C.A.M. Reply:
                                                                We shoot a lot of b-roll for our corporate clients and commonly reuse some segments of what we shoot in future projects, often 3-4 years out. We want to be able to give individual files descriptive names (as opposed to MXF names like 0008T1 buried deep in folders) and be able to browse a Windows search by key words in a file name, as thumbnails in Windows Explorer. We have a huge library of b-roll. Searching MXF files using Premiere CS4's Media Browser would take much longer than searching other media takes using Window's Explorer search.
                                                                I would rather strap a small notebook computer with OnLocation and a 500GB drive to my belt for action shots than pay nearly $20,000 for 500GB of P2 storage.
                                                                • 29. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                                  You should explore using the extensive metadata available and transportable in CS4. That would be a much more effecient way to make your clips descriptive rather than altering the file name/structure.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                    Premiere CS4 seems to be able to "tag" MXF files and remember metadata saved to a particular file within a Premiere project...but I didn't have any success writing metadata directly to any MXF files. I can change the "file name" in the Metadata in Premiere, but on the disk, the file name is still 0001KV1.MXF. This could possibly cause a nightmare re-linking media when a project is re-visited.

I would prefer not to use Premiere as an alternative to Windows Explorer for finding media throughout our network.

I tried removing "read-only" from the MXF files and folders without success, thinking that would allow Metadata to be written directly to the files.

Whatever they have built into Premiere CS4 that enables thumbnail preview and video playback of MXF files, should be built into Bridge.

Can any of you see video previews of MXF files in Bridge? If so, I'm doing something wrong.

MXF files seem to be write protected. Bridge does not show MFX previews and I haven't been able to change file names or add any Metadata.

The MXF files will play back in Windows Media Player on my system though.

In my opinion there's a market for a small Firewire enabled, Vista 64 bit driven, notebook-like device with a 500GB hard drive that will load OnLocation. A small device with a locking curled "phone-cord" style Firewire cable that connects to the P2 camera. As I mentioned, 500GB of P2 storage would cost about $20,000. I believe the technology is available to make something like this compact so it could be comfortably worn, perhaps attached to the waist by a belt loop.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                                      Its called firestore. It doesnt run OL, but it stores video stream data. Its also an endangered species as solid state gets cheaper and cheaper.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                        We have a FireStore. Me no like. FireStore is what we're trying to get away from. I'm talking about a laptop-like device with Vista onto which one could install Adobe OnLocation and capture hi-def files all-in-one (*.avi format) as Location does on our editing computer.
                                                                        • 33. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                          You may have better luck convincing Panasonic to drop the proprietary nonsense and fix their implementation of the MXF file structure, using single files that contain all necessary info (which is what the MXF format was designed for in the first place).
                                                                          • 34. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                            joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                            Well Jim and I disagree about the sillyness of the P2 card structure. What he wants and what you want doesn't exist so you either deal with the workarounds or stick woth Premiere 2.0 and DV like Jim.

To me it is more of pain in the *** that Bridge won't preview P2 mxf, AE's Imaganeer tracker won't read MXF files nor will any other 3d tracker and Photoshop won't read P2 MXF files (you can do some amazing things with video in photoshop) than not having single files for your media.

Charles,
                                                                            Bridge cannot read MXF files not play them back. If you go to the thumbnail folder in the P2 structure it will show you those. The whole reason there is a media browser is because Bridge can't play back tapeless media like HDV, P2 or AVCHD.

Yes I'd rather it be different. Adobe knows it's a pain but other than Canapus Edius there is no other program that will play P2 MXF files as fast and easy as premiere. Adobe and Avid make you rewrap the files.

I'm pissed that I have "interpret footage" for every file to get my 24p. Then I get pissed again when I have to do it agian in After Effects.

But would rather be editing AVCHD or HDV and have all these problems you read about on this board. P2 cards edit like smooth as butter only dv edits better.

Just ask yourself "my alternative is what?"
                                                                            • 35. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                              >Well Jim and I disagree about the sillyness of the P2 card structure.

I'm hard pressed to understand that one. If you could have all the functionality you now enjoy, plus the single file architecture, why would you disagree with that?
                                                                              • 36. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                                If I could have a camera that let me use GPS to automatically pull focus I'd be happy. The technology is there!!! Instead we have to buy Follow focus and remote control focus pullers that they make more money because it's proprietary.
                                                                                That's what you sound like jim.

What is a better alternative that you can buy right now?
                                                                                • 37. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                  I don't understand how that answers my question, so I'll ask again. If you could have all the functionality you now enjoy, plus the single file architecture, why would you disagree with that?
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                                    Yes it would be nice but it doesn't existent.

I would also enjoy having Robert Richardson ASC be my DP from now on so I don't have to touch the camera.

I would also like for After Effects to be 64 bit native and include a timeline in the next update.

I would also like to shoot with a RED scarlet this weekend.

I would also like have dinner a few drinks with Sam Peckinpah.

I care about a lot things more than I care about a file structures that don't exist and aren't shot my an existing camera.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Is there a quick way to mass re-link to media
                                                                                      joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                                      Jim, another Jim (Jannard) wrote this about Steven Sodenberg I thinks it's something we can all learn from.

Let me tell you what is incredible about Steven Soderbergh in my eyes.

1. Academy Award winning Director.

2. Loves to shoot his own stuff. And edit it.

3. He doesn't ask anyone's permission to do what he thinks will work.

4. Made a decision to shoot two Ché features (Benecio Del Toro) based on seeing Peter Jackson footage and one quick test shoot at his house (with Jarred, Deanan and myself) on two prototype, pre-production RED ONE cameras.

5. Assembles his troops in Spain waiting for two RED ONEs to show up. Has told his team he does not need backup cameras. RED will come through. We got the CF cards working minutes before shooting begins by emailing firmware to Deanan, Rob and Ivan in Spain. They then drive to location and fire up the cameras and start rolling...

6. 1st day shooting in a walk down only valley, 100+ degree temperature. Cameras overheat. SS says "put ice packs on them until RED can figure this out" and continues shooting. Continues this process for a few days until we can email a firmware upgrade. Pre-production firmware, no exposure assist or frame guides of any kind, 24fps only... barely more advanced than "Boris" and "Natasha" used by Peter Jackson. Never complains. Not once. Only... "happy to be here".

7. Sends me an email how thrilled he is to shoot RED and probably will never shoot anything else, no matter what the budget. Loves the cameras.

8. After finishing the 1st (2nd) Ché movie, decides to shoot the next one anamorphic. We tell him he is nuts. He believes that we will find a way to make it work. We do. He is thrilled with the results.

9. After shooting and editing the two Ché movies, SS informs us he is shooting "The Informant" (Matt Damon) on RED. "What do you have in the way of improvements?" We give him Build 15. Off he goes.

10. Next up is "The Girlfriend Experience". Shot on RED Build 18 (with anamorphic support). His 1st AC surprises him onset that he can actually view the anamorphic footage correctly on his monitor. He wrote me a note to tell me, "you won't believe how good this stuff looks... well, maybe you will."

11. Next up... 3D on RED.

I have to say several things about Steven. He is wickedly smart. He never gets flustered (that I have seen). He is an incredible story-teller... one of the best.

He never once complained about "what RED couldn't do". He always made work what he could do with any given version of RED. If I tell him that we just enabled something, he'll respond with something like "well that will be nice. I could use that." Steven has never once asked us for any special treatment... only pushing us along by believing in us. Amazing what a powerful technique that is.

Sometimes on this board we get so carried away with every spec, feature or wish that we paralyze ourselves with actually doing something. I have learned a lot from Steven. Not just about cameras and shooting, but about living. "We have what we have and that is plenty enough (for today) to do something meaningful. If you give me more, I'll do more. But I have enough now." I just love his philosophy.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23776
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next