10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2009 10:03 AM by Eddie Lotter

Import Issues

angel_6213 Level 1
      I am trying to import files from my Sony Cybershot DSC-W100, but Premiere doesn't support these kind of files. Other forums identifies these kinds of file as MUXED. All of my video files are in the .mpg format, is there anything that I can do?
        • 1. Re: Import Issues
          mickkeay Level 1
          You could try TS Remux (it is freeware) Re mux the stream and try that. This often sorts out the mpg video without audio problem too.
          • 2. Re: Import Issues
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Chances are good that this still camera shoots MJPEG compressed format and exports as MPG.

The muxing will not really be the issue. The CODEC used will. A freeware program, G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot) will tell you exactly what the CODEC is, and whether you have it on your system. I'd bet that it's Lead, or Morgan MJPEG. If I am wrong, you may just need to go out and find the proper CODEC, download and install it.

If I am correct, you will do best by converting to DV-AVI w/ PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio, outside of PP. Then Import the converted file for editing. Note that the compression will give you a big quality hit, but the camera has already done the compression, so there is no way to get that compressed data back.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Import Issues
              angel_6213 Level 1
              I had a copy of a modified version of Premiere Pro 2.0. I observed that it loaded some .dll files to import video files that may need conversion (according to your suggestions). Does this make any sense to you?
              • 4. Re: Import Issues
                Phil Griffith Level 2
                modified version?
                • 5. Re: Import Issues
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >is there anything that I can do?

I generally recommend using a real video camera if one's intent is to edit.
                  • 6. Re: Import Issues
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    JM,

My guess is that what you are referring to is the addition of the AC3 (DD 5.1 SS Audio) .dll to PP from Encore. This allowed AC3 encoded Audio to be Imported into PP. I do not know if this .dll (obviously a newer version) is in PP CS4, but I would *think* that it is.

From your camera's manual, what are the formats and CODEC's used for both the Video and the Audio? That will probably answer a lot of questions, and I can quit speculating.

Chances are good that you can get the footage into PP. You may have to do it in steps, and the output quality is something that you will have to pass/fail on. Only you can make that decision. Heck, some people edit footage from camera phones in PP and don't seem to mind.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Import Issues
                      angel_6213 Level 1
                      Here are the specifications you might also need to know.

Video output: MPEG VX Fine with Audio (640x480 at 30fps) (MPEG VX Fine requiring Memory Stick DUO PRO media)
                      • 8. Re: Import Issues
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        JM,

One part is missing, and it might be that your manual just does not cover it. This would not be uncommon with a still camera, that can shoot video. Does it list the CODEC?

If not, download, install and use a little freeware program, G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot). Open one of your video files in G-Spot and look in the upper right. What CODEC does G-Spot tell you is used? This can be all important.

Also, in the same general area, G-Spot will tell you if you have that CODEC installed. Do you?

With that data, someone will be able to make suggestions for you. Hang in there, as you are only a few steps away.

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Import Issues
                          angel_6213 Level 1
                          I couldn't use the G-Spot, it displayed nothing when I used, so I went to another. Here are the results:

omplete name : MOV04288.MPG
                          Format : MPEG-PS
                          File size : 32.9 MiB
                          Duration : 26s 366ms
                          Overall bit rate : 10.5 Mbps

File : 82 MB (82 MB), duration: 0:01:06, type: MPG, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 65 %

Video : 82 MB, 10463 Kbps, 30.0 fps, 640*480 (4:3), MPG1 = MPEG 1 (VCD), Supported

Audio : 515 KB, 64 Kbps, 32000 Hz, 1 channels, 0x51 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 [0xc0], Supported
                          • 10. Re: Import Issues
                            Eddie Lotter Level 4

FAQ: How do I import xyz format files?

Cheers
                            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                            - Over 250 free tutorials
                            - Maintained by editors like you
                            Forum FAQ