26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 4:27 AM by (spiv)

Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?

Level 1
      Very, very, very sad. I try to export a Project that in CS3 Works PERFECTLY trought the *NEW* Adobe Media Encoder and WHAT my surprise that the video file it´s really BAD.

I export with Quicktime, using the Photo-Jpeg codec. In the CS3, there´s no problem. Quality perfect. But in the *NEW* Media Encoder, it´s a CRAP!!!

Then, I try to export in a BMP Sequence. The files appears and when I try to see it...ARG!!! WHAT THE HELL!!!. Drops between the bmps!. Is like if the project have rendered in 30fps, not 25fps. I checked and rechecked all. No bad settings. ALL HAVE 25FPS, from finish to end.

Now, I must to return to CS3 :-(
        • 1. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
          Level 1
          > I try to export a Project that in CS3 Works PERFECTLY

Have you tried a new progect in CS4? A common recommendation on the
          premiere forum is to keep the previious release until all the projects are
          done, and to start new projects in the new release. Opening older projects
          in new releases of premiere often leads to problems.

Best,
          Christopher
          • 2. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
            Level 1
            Yes, I try to create a NEW project, and the same UGLY THING. When I Export a Quicktime with the JPEG codec (whatever), the results are Really Bad. It´s like if the Quality of the codec have set to 0.

Ah!. I found the problems with the numbered stills. I don´t know why, but when I import a sequence of images, it appears how if these are 29.90FPS, NOT 25fps (the project´s settings).

In CS3, in a project in 25FPS, the numbered stills appears correctly when imported. I see something in the preferences about "unknow timecode settings" that point to 29.90, and I set it to 25fps, but no luck anyway :-(
            • 3. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
              Level 1
              Well, I updated the Quicktime to the latest version. No luck. I try to see the propierties of the new files created with Adobe Media Encoder and it´s a bit suspecting, because Quicktime report as N/D codec, when the other files created with CS3 are OK.

The last test I done its to export in the JPEG2000 codec. This appears to be fine and valid, BUT the playback it´s very jerky and slow.

This is incredible :-(
              • 4. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                Level 1
                One thing you can try is to create a new project with the settings you need and then "import" the other project into it.
                • 5. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                  Level 1
                  Today I tested Premiere Pro CS4 in another machine, with OTHER S.O (XP x64, not supported): THE SAME PROBLEM.

I cannot configure the import still images to match the project timebase. It always set to 29.90, always.

Adobe Media Encoder, the same. Exporting Quicktime with the PhotoJpeg codec have serious compression...unusable :-(. In this side, it´s equal to import a video directly in Adobe Media Encoder, the results are the same.

Very dissapointed :-(
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                    mauerswald Level 1
                    I have similar problems exporting my video as the QT Animation codec. Terrible errors and compression artefacts in the result, unusable.
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      I figured this out the other day. CS3 automatically would adjust the bitrate for you compared to the video size. Now they defualt into very small bitrate. You have to click the advance render and figure out what bit rate works right for you then manually set it.

EDIT I just tried it and there is no bitrate changes avaible and your right it looks horrible. Animation codect should be close to uncompressed. Looked like streaky ***.

COME ON ADOBE WTF?
                      • 9. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                        Level 1
                        Ok so first off... create a new project with custom settings and set your editing mode to DESKTOP! then set your frame size, frame rate, and field order manually.

Now right click in your project panel and choose "new item" then "bars and tone" now output that as UNCOMPRESSED (don't worry you can always come back to the file later and re-encode it with h.264 or what ever.)

If your output looks good now, then its probably a problem with your settings/codec.

If your output looks bad at this point, then format your HD, reinstall your OS, and just install drivers, and premiere, and test it again with the bars and tone, if that still doesn't work then perhaps you should look into other software, or go back to CS3.
                        • 10. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                          Level 1
                          I ALWAYS work in Desktop mode. And yes, I have tried to save in AVI UNCOMPRESSED or another codec. These WORK!. What doesn´t work it´s when I try to export to MOV. The settings of the codecs i´ts useless because you can touch whatever but the quality it´s very BAD.

I think that its a Premiere problem related. Maybe the Media Encoder cannot "talk" with the codec itself and cannot pass the parameters that you set in the Media Encoder. In other applications (Photoshop, for example), you ACCESS DIRECTLY to the codec, so you set the things DIRECTLY in the codec and these work!

The solution of reformating and installing all it´s really bad. Because ALL the system that I test have the same result. MOV PhotoJpeg exports (and I think that all codecs under MOV) are useless.
                          • 11. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                            mauerswald Level 1
                            I agree that reinstalling is hardly a solution. It really seems like the Media Encoder has problems with quicktime codecs. For example, I just encoded the same clip from with the Media Encoder unsing the QT Animation codec. Result: artifacts in the picture, _lots_ of them. Then I encoded the clip with QT Pro - perfect picture.
                            • 12. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                              Level 1
                              both QT-photojpeg and animation outputs are unusable.
                              If I want to work with mt2s(sony) files I have to encode
                              to mpg2 and then make my QTfiles with TMPGenc.
                              CS4 cannot make a proper QT.
                              bad very bad.
                              • 13. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                leejk Level 1
                                Hi,

I have noticed the same thing trying to export a still image sequence using the Quicktime Animation codec. In CS3 this worked perfectly; in CS4 90 image frames exported to the Animation codec results in a video with half the frames dropped and quality is crap. There is definitely a problem there.

rgds
                                • 14. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                  joshtownsend Level 2
                                  Can someone tell me if it's fixed my AME doesn't work on my Vista 64 and I can't update my AME on my Vista 32 so I can't check to see if it's fixed.

Send your project to After Effects and you render it there with Animation working correctly.
                                  • 15. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                    Level 1
                                    yes...sending the project to AfterEffects and render it
                                    give much better QT results ! Also QT-Photojpeg looks nice.
                                    thanks for the advice
                                    such a shame AE cant handle mt2s-avchd files.
                                    (I have got to make a convert from mt2s to QT-photojpeg)
                                    Does anyone know if this is the way to keep the best quality ?

premiere : mt2s to mpeg 2
                                    aftereffects : mpeg2 to QT-photojpeg
                                    all in 1920x1080 1:1 pix

thank you in advance
                                    • 16. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                      Nicklas_SVT
                                      Hope that Adobe will fix this problem. It would be nice to import AE compositions and render them from AME.

Trying to make a preset to render Quicktime "Animation" or "None" codec, the result looks like crap. Starts with Quicktime - PAL DV preset. Selecting "Animation" "24bit". The result looks really bad. Looks like long stripes cross the screen. Trying in both Mac and PC. Same result. If I select "Avid Meridien" codec it works fine. The problem with "Animation" codec is that the "Codec Setting" button is grayed out.
                                      • 17. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                        Level 1
                                        > such a shame AE cant handle mt2s-avchd files.
                                        > (I have got to make a convert from mt2s to QT-photojpeg)
                                        > Does anyone know if this is the way to keep the best quality ?

Which direction are you trying to go here? Is your main objective to edit
                                        native avchd or achieve best quality?

Best,
                                        Christopher
                                        • 18. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                          joshtownsend Level 2
                                          "Is your main objective to edit
                                          native avchd or achieve best quality?"

Not to put words in his mouth but I imagine both would optimal.
                                          • 19. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                            Level 1
                                            > Not to put words in his mouth but I imagine both would optimal.

I can't be certain, but I may have read this book before, in which case I
                                            know how it ends. Someone asks for "best quality". People start
                                            recommending Cineform CFHD, Sorenson Squeeze, etc, and then we hear the
                                            Peter Griffin impersonation, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa,
                                            whoa!!! You mean I have to spend more money?" Well, yeah, you did ask for
                                            best quality. And then begins the long sigh and followed by bitter
                                            complaints.

Of course, I could be thinking of a different book. We'll know soon enough.

Best,
                                            Christopher
                                            • 20. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                              I'll bet the first round next week that it's a Quicktime problem, and as soon as Apple get their stuff in one sock, all these issues will go away.

Why do I think that? If I told you, you'd never take the bet and I won't get free beer next week. :)

-Jeff
                                              • 21. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                                Level 1
                                                I'm with Jeff - QT has caused havoc before...
                                                • 22. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                                  Level 1
                                                  thank you for replying

yes...edit and filter native avchd in premiere
                                                  and than convert it (somehow) to qt-photojpeg.
                                                  I am planning to use it in a theater-performance with a
                                                  Catalyst-v4 videoserver. (which works best with qt-photojpeg
                                                  , I wish it was different, but it isn't)

The native avchd is 1920x1080 square pixel.
                                                  It would be nice to keep the quality as best as
                                                  possible.

I guess export the edit from premiere into mpeg2,
                                                  import into aftereffects and than into qt, don't you think ?
                                                  or is there a better way ?

thank you all
                                                  • 23. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    > yes...edit and filter native avchd in premiere

Just to be clear, why do you want to do it this way? Fewer steps? Budget
                                                    contraints? If you are limited to the applications and codecs you already
                                                    own, fair enough.

> or is there a better way ?

Some will suggest that converting a long GOP codec to a codec designed for
                                                    editing is a better way, but if you are limited by budget or other
                                                    contraints, the better way may not be an option.

Best,
                                                    Christopher
                                                    • 24. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Ola Christofher,

Im not sure what you mean. AVCHD is not designed
                                                      for editing ? And I should convert it first to
                                                      another codec, before editing ? I did not know that.
                                                      If that is what you say. What codec would you suggest ?

(Besides that I still do not understand why
                                                      AfterEffect has a good QT output and Premiere's
                                                      QT rendering is so horrible)

regards,
                                                      spiv
                                                      • 25. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                                        Level 1
                                                        > Im not sure what you mean. AVCHD is not designed
                                                        > for editing ? And I should convert it first to
                                                        > another codec, before editing ? I did not know that.
                                                        > If that is what you say. What codec would you suggest ?

PPro CS4 supports AVCHD (and HDV) and many Premiere users edit these long
                                                        GOP codecs and are perfectly happy. So, it certainly can be done, and
                                                        depending on your personal preference, you too very well may be happy with
                                                        that workflow.

That said, long GOP codecs are designed for delivery, and when you ask
                                                        questions like what is the "best" approach, the question then becomes what
                                                        do you mean by best. For some, it means the best approach without spending
                                                        any more money. Some Premiere users get extremely agitated at the
                                                        suggestion that they should consider the purchase of and conversion to
                                                        another codec. The Adobe documentation says you can edit AVCHD, and for
                                                        them, that's sufficient justification to avoid considering any other
                                                        solution. However, if you are interested in possible ways to enhance your
                                                        workflow, you might look at conversion to a codec specifically designed for
                                                        editing, such as the Cineform CFHD (free trials can be downloaded from their
                                                        website). Some users prefer that approach; others don't. YMMV.

Best,
                                                        Christopher
                                                        • 26. Re: Adobe Media WHAT THE HEY?
                                                          Level 1
                                                          thank you, I will try Cineform.