6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 7:20 AM by Stan Jones

Decreasing file size on .wmv files

I have a Premiere Pro project that consists of an audio file that is 8 MB and about 12 JPEGs which total around 5 MB. When I export to a .wmv, using the Windows Media format and the NTSC Source to Download 512kbps preset, the file size ends up being about 100 MB.

I created files in Elements that had the same size of content, where the wmv file was less than half the size the I'm getting out of Premiere Pro. I'm guessing it's just my lack of understanding of the software?

What I need to do is create a video that is usable by a large audience (which is why I chose wmv, but I'm not set on that format) and is smaller than I'm currently creating (preferably around 50 MBs).

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
      Darren
        • 1. Re: Decreasing file size on .wmv files
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          What is the delivery method - computer projection; DVD to projection TV?

How long is the movie? Dimensions of movie? Frame rate?
          • 2. Re: Decreasing file size on .wmv files
            Level 1
            Stanley - thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how to answer the question. Maybe if I give a more detailed account of my project, it will help.

I recorded an MP3 via a microphone through Audacity. I made the Audacity project, then chose "Export as MP3".

I then took a Powerpoint I had previously created, and did a "Save as" and chose JPEG as the file type. This saved each slide as a JPEG (about 12 total slides).

I first imported the audio file into Premiere and then imported the 12 slides.

As I listened to the audio, I lined up the length of each powerpoint slide with the audio portion pertaining to it. At the end, I had the combined visuals lasting the length of the audio, with each slide showing as long was appropriate.

Then in Premiere, I clicked on the Timeline window, then selected File>Export>Media...

In the Export Settings window, I have the following setting (on the right half of the window):
            Format: Windows Media
            Preset: NTSC Source to Download 512kbps
            Comments: NTSC Source to Download 512kbps
            And then of course the Output name, and the boxes for Export video and export audio are checked.
            At the bottom of the Export Settings Window, it says Estimated File Size: 246 MB.
            The file ends up being about 100MB.

I hope that helps, and that it isn't too much information. Again, thanks for the quick response.

Darren
            • 3. Re: Decreasing file size on .wmv files
              joshtownsend Level 2
              Wish everyone else who posted questions here would give that much info.

Try this, when your in Adobe Media Encoder instead of using the presets try out custom settings. Render a couple of couple of different ways and maybe the problem will work it self out. Make sure it's not render a huge uncompressed audio file or something.

BTW If it worked in Elements why not just render from there?
              • 4. Re: Decreasing file size on .wmv files
                Level 1
                Josh - I can be overly meticulous at times, hopefully it is beneficial here!

I just tried switching to custom preset, and all I see is that the preset name changes. I don't see what else I then have the ability to customize or modify. Is it supposed to bring up a menu or allow other items to be modified?

And as far as the Elements thing goes, that was an old version for my XP computer. I now have a Vista computer and that's one reason why I upgraded to the CS4 Premiere Pro...

Thanks for your response.

Darren
                • 5. Re: Decreasing file size on .wmv files
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  There's a tab in AME to open the advanced menu (look in the help it is hard to see). From there you can adjust frame size, frame rate, bitrate
                  ect.

If it still doesn't work download the Sony Vegas trial and see if it works for ya while you still have time to return Premiere.

BTW Elements does work with Vista. http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565
                  • 6. Re: Decreasing file size on .wmv files
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    You said:
                    > What I need to do is create a video that is usable by a large audience (which is why I chose wmv, but I'm not set on that format) and is smaller than I'm currently creating (preferably around 50 MBs).

And I asked:
                    > What is the delivery method? How long is the movie? Dimensions of movie? Frame rate?

By delivery method, I can't tell if you are playing this for a "large audience" in a room or putting on the web for many people to see. If on the web, size (really datarate) matters; for an audience in a room, it doesn't matter, but the format (wmv vs ?) and datarate depends on whether you are playing from a computer or DVD?

By length, I'm asking about the number of minutes total.

Dimensions and frame rate are normally a DV preset, but for your assets, you could have used some other preset or a custom setting.

I don't have CS4, but Josh has pointed you to the places where you can exercise more control over your export.