26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 6:22 PM by Pahos69

CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!

Ive started using multi camera monitor in CS4 for the first time today.
      Have used multi camera in the past a lot in CS3 with no problems.
      In CS3 when I made a mistake when switching between cameras I could just go back and it would over write everything as it went along. In CS4 I find that when I go back it splits the clip at the point when I click but following that when the next clip change comes up it does not over write it!

This is highly slowing to my editing process, the help files seems 2 say that it should over write although I cannot get it to do this!

Anyone have any advice?
      Thanks in advance
      Thomas
        • 1. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          I don't have CS4, so I can't test what you are describing. But you don't describe clicking the record button when you go back. If you don't click the record button, in CS3, that would be the expected behavior.
          • 2. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
            I have the same issue. Very annoying.
            • 3. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Instead of 'overwriting' mistakes in the multicamera window, continue on until the rough edit is done. Then go through the normal sequence and adjust the edit points as you normally would to create a fine edit.

Doesn't fix the problem, but it'll get the job done.
              • 4. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                Level 1
                Yeah, that's what I do anyway. Clicking on the individual clip in the timeline would let you substitute in a better angle if you choose.
                • 5. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                  Level 1
                  I did go back and edit manually but like you said, it doesn't fix the problem. Am I safe to assume that you guys have seen this issue too and therefore this is looking like a bug with CS4?
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I don't use CS4 yet, but even if I did, I may not have noticed it. I find the twice through method the better work flow anyway.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                      Level 1
                      Regardless of preference, the fact remains that I should be able to stop in mid edit, click the "back to previous edit" button and then start again and automatically overwrite any edit done after that point. What if I decide I want to hold on that camera a bit longer? The stupid thing switches. Now I have a timeline with a cut in it that I don't want. This is a headache when adding transitions. In CS3 it was such a natural flow and made quick, on-the-fly edits a breeze.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Just to check, are you in 'record' mode one you go back and start again? Premiere will show you the previous edits if the highlighted camera is yellow, thus indicating playback mode. You need to make a change, thus turning that highlight red, to enter record mode.
                        • 9. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                          I too am having the same problem with CS4. I am in record mode, and I cannot go back and redo an edit.

Strange.

MG
                          • 10. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                            Level 1
                            Yes, I am in record mode. What seems strange about record mode is that when I go back a couple edits and want to start again, the only way to get it into record mode (Red Box) is to click on the Play button (or spacebar) and then click on one of the Yellow boxes to get it to turn red. This is hard to explain but basically I cannot get any camera box to turn red until after I begin playing. Clicking the little red record button does not work. If I click on a yellow box prior to clicking Play it will switch that particular edit to whatever camera you selected but the box still remains yellow. I must click play and then click on a camera box to get it to go red, which also creates a new edit slice at that point (GGGGRRRRR). And regardless of it being red, it still jumps at old edit points.

Sorry for the rant but this is hard to explain.
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                              I do not have CS4. What you are describing is the same in CS3 and is what the CS3 help files says about it. To re-record, you select a location to start, click play, (boxes will show in yellow), then click a camera view (turns red and the red record button shows red). Clicking the record button will take you out of record mode, but not into it.

I use Jim's method (record all the way through, then come back and edit in the actual output sequence). But there are times, where is it nice to re-record portions, particularly where you are cutting more than 2 cameras.
                              • 12. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                Level 1
                                It has been a few weeks since using CS3 multi-camera and so the recording part may be the same and I just don't remember it that way. Likely because I never had this problem in CS3.

Well, I guess all I can say is CS4 behaves differently and I am glad that I am not the only one who seems to have this problem. Perhaps it is functioning as designed but I will say it is for sure different than CS3 and in my opinion for the worse.
                                • 13. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                  I went back and reread this thread. I wonder if I added to some confusion when I said in post #1 that you click the record button? (I don't think it works that way in CS3 - and apparently not in CS4 either.)

unhollywood, unless you are experiencing something other than what you describe, CS4 is working exactly as CS3 does. You must be in play and click in a camera view to reenter active record mode. (The record button may turn red if you click it, but it doesn't really change your status.)

If an extra cut creates a problem in an edit in the timeline, just delete one side of the edit, and extend the other part.
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                    creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
                                    > "...just delete one side of the edit, and extend the other part..."

357 times?

ks
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                      Ha, ha! Yep, all 357.

To have to change such a large number of clips, you would have to have re-recorded a whole lot of times.... But when I think about such a scenario, it convinces me to keep using my current workflow.

Remember that if you don't add a transition on such a break, or if the transition does not involve a long enough part to involve the "other" section from the same clip, you don't need to change it.

Anyway, put in a feature request to change the current (CS3 and CS4 apparently) to give you more control.
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                        Level 1
                                        Stanley, I appreciate the help. The fact that someone is responding is comforting. However, lets forget about the record function and how it may or may not be the same in both versions. I assure you the record function is not the issue. I know this is a lot to ask but if you or someone with CS3 can do a simple test I think it will go a long way in helping with this. Take three pieces of footage and create a multicamera sequence. Doesn't have to be in sync. Start editing and make at least four camera changes. Then stop and while still in the multicamera window click on the "back to" button and go back a couple edits. A yellow box should be around the camera you used for that edit. Now press Play and click on that camera box to get it to turn red and let it run. When the timeline gets to a camera change that you made earlier does it stay on the camera you have selected or does it change automatically to the previosuly selected camera? From what I remember in CS3 it would stay on that camera and not switch, thus overwriting the old camera change. In CS4 it will automatically switch, thus ignoring the recorder and ultimately what the editor really wants to do.
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                          Phil Griffith Level 2
                                          you could always delete the target sequence and start over if you think it's that messed up that you need to redo 357 cuts.
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >in CS3 it would stay on that camera and not switch, thus overwriting the old camera change.

Correct. Since CS4 isn't doing that, try the other workflow - twice through in it's entirety. Once for rough cuts, a second time for fine adjustments/corrections.
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                              I did the CS3 test. In a re-record, once clicking in a camera view and recording starts, it continues with that camera active until I change the camera or the clip ends. It does not stop recording when it gets to another edit point.

CS4 help suggests that the CS3 behavior is expected.

I suspect you have, but try leaving the multicam edit monitor, reenter it, and try the re-record. Also try going to the beginning of the sequence in the multicam monitor (rather than just back some number of edits) and try from there.

Michael, is this the problem you are seeing?

Then I'd file a bug report.

I don't recall seeing this as a CS4 known issue.
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                                Level 1
                                                Stanley, Thank You very much for testing! Also just to be clear, in CS4 the recorder does not stop at the edit points, it continues but the red box will jump automatically to the cameras used for that particular edit. It's like it ignores the recorder. Even if I click on a different camera just before that old edit point, it will still switch at that point and not overwrite. That can't be what Adobe intended and now I am almost certain this is a bug.

Paul Griffith - I did try a new sequence. In fact I first tried it with the original HD footage and thought perhaps HD was the issue. I converted three 50 minute tapes to SD and created the sequence from that but still the same behaviour. I also updated CS4 with the latest patch available from Adobe.
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                                  Eliantokk

Just to add my experience to the thread...

I used extensive multicam editing on Premiere pro 2.0, CS3 and all updates, and obviously since the introduction of CS4, to the 4.0.1 update, to the last 4.1.

CS4 always presented this wrong behaviour. And judging how -unuseful- it is on the practical work.. It must be an overlooked bug from Adobe (always been there, still not fixed after all the updates).

• 22. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                                    Pahos69

I have to agree, using CS4 does not over write any previous cuts, a manual method only works.

CS4 I find is unstable slow and I best describe it with Too Many Bells and full of bugs.

Especially if ur using The RT.X2

Its not the best as yet

Paris

• 23. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Especially if ur using The RT.X2

I found your comments apply to any version of Premiere combined with Matrox...and that most of those problems simply go away when you remove Matrox.

• 24. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                                        Pahos69 Level 1

Jim, in prem pro 2 winXP Pro, it works great, the Matrox is utilised fully.

Its CS4 that i had issues with so i went back to prem pro2.

And will stay here for some time.

Im just amazed that:

CS4 was delivered with only photshop being 64

Big holes in premiere, (sack the QC guys from Mexico i recon)

Unstable software that keeps crashing

User forced to manualy save as the auto save does NOT always do the trick.

Guys your charging premium dollars for you product. event videographers like myslef are phoabing in the mouth, give us somthing to say why Adobe products are more superior than Vegas Edius and other SW.

So far, legacy adobe is the one you can trust.

Kind regards

Paris

Paris Production

• 25. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                          Guys your charging premium dollars for you product. event videographers like myslef are phoabing in the mouth, give us somthing to say why Adobe products are more superior than Vegas Edius and other SW.

Unfortunately, we're all just users here an no one works for Adobe*. Also, Adobe does not normally read these fora. You need to contact Adobe with your issues.

As for PrPro not being 64-bit, that has never been stated. It has, for PS, which is the only app. that IS written for 64-bit. The rest are certified to run under Vista-64, but there is a major difference. Sorry that you got confused.

Good luck,

Hunt

* now, it has been whispered that Jim Simon might be an Adobe spy, and that Harm Millaard gets to dine in the Adobe cafeteria, but those reports have not been confirmed.

• 26. Re: CS4 Multi Camera Re-recording not working!
                                                            Pahos69 Level 1

Dude, we can only put it out there and hope someone can read between the lines.

CS4 should not have been released in my books. Very Unstable 4.1.0  Grrrrrrrr