13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2009 10:02 AM by fuaho

EXPORT SINGLE FRAME

Level 1
      this was a big mistake on Adobe's part to remove the "Export frame" function. i can't be opening up the media encoder every time i want' to do this.
        • 1. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
          Level 1
          Whoever made that decision should be shot!!
          What a ******* move!!!
          • 2. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
            Level 1
            Unfortunately I use export frames religiously for storyboard, proof and review board documentation. Having to open ME and wait a minute per frame is a deal killer. I have used Premiere since v4, and it's time for a switch. Unfortunately for adobe, I place more emphasis on getting work done over brand loyalty. Sorry for the negative tone folks, but I'm done here.
            • 3. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
              shooternz Level 6
              I lay a large degree of blame on the beta testers.
              • 4. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
                Craig:

Why blame the BT's? Unless you mean to imply that they (as a group), overlooked the testing of so basic a function (from an efficiency perspective, as opposed to a functional one), I would be more than willing to bet that they uncovered it, spoke up about it, but simply weren't 'heard.'

Keep Smiling
                • 5. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  A Beta tester was told in September that it would be fixed around February this year. Adobe left it out on purpose because it interfered with AME and the footage agnostic timeline. The beta testers had Premiere less time than it's been out. They haven't fixed it since October even though there have been many complaints.
                  • 6. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4
                    I would not trust the word of a beta tester who freely breaks their NDA. By doing so they are proving they are not trust worthy.
                    • 7. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      A moderator at DVXUSERS Jim Jimerson said it in a post. He also was told they would fix 24p in February. I think a bunch of testers were given the beta for review from what it sounded like.

Doesn't matter they have one year to fix a ton of things with this release and also make CS5. Good luck Premiere programmers hope you get some sleep over the next year. :)
                      • 8. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                        shooternz Level 6
                        >Why blame the BT's?....

If Adobe does not intend to listen to the BT's then why bother "employing" them at all? (I doubt they throw their development money away for no reason at all.)

CS4 is way slower than CS3 in editing workflow due to a number of reasons including 'Frame Export'.

Assuming the BT's included professional editors, this would have been picked up. If they were not professionals (eg hobbyists) then I can understand that they may not have advised Adobe on certain failings of CS4 from a pro point of view and thats why I blame the BT's. (Not up to the task of beta testing a pro product no matter how long they had)

Took me about five days to compile a short list of CS4 issues and conclude this version was released too early and with some ill considered "developments".
                        • 9. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          >If they were not professionals (eg hobbyists) then I can understand that they may not have advised Adobe on certain failings of CS4 from a pro point of view and thats why I blame the BT's.

That is laughably myopic.
                          • 10. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            Even if everyone who bought it so far was a beta tester it still hasn't got fixed after almost three months. You can't blame the beta testers. Cs3 has a public out for months before the release this one did it.

It's not because the programmers are stupid. They have top do what the project mangers want who in turn have to do what the ADOBE suites want. New features (voice translation, AME and being able to change project settings took where more important than being stable with all the new tapeless formats and getting RED support) took priority over being stable. Professionals use Photoshop and After Effects way more than they use Premiere so Adobe allocated it's resources as such. Also the CS system has got into a bad habit of making the NLE stable 4-6 months before the new system is released.

I can understand why it is so hard for the Adobe programmers.
                            • 11. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                              shooternz Level 6
                              >That is laughably myopic.

So what would the more far sighted view be then Jeff? Maybe give us your opinion on the new workflow for "Export Single Frame" as an example and what may have occured with the BT's in this issue.

(As a beta tester you probably can not say much but it would fascinate me to know if Adobe listened to you guys at all. )
                              • 12. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                >As a beta tester you probably can not say much

If I was a beta tester for Adobe and I said I was, I would be in violation of my NDA. If I wasn't a beta tester for Adobe and I said I wasn't, then I would be telling the truth and not in violation of anything, but I would lose any mysterious aura that may surround my presence here. :)

To make any other claim would be a lie (was/wasn't or wasn't/was), so I think the best thing is for me to say nothing about that at all.

What is myopic about your previous post is that it assumes that a company with the people and resources that Adobe has would limit their cross-section of testers of Premiere Pro to hobbyists. That's a bigger stretch than the suspension of disbelief that is required to accept the fact that Obi-Wan Kenobi didn't slice Jar Jar Binks into little pieces with his light saber 5 minutes after JJ started in with that "meesa think" nonsense.
                                • 13. Re: EXPORT SINGLE FRAME
                                  fuaho Level 1
                                  I think the main question is, "Why did they remove all the other export options in the first place?"

You can still "Export\Composition\Make Movie" in Ae, or use AME.

Why only change things in Pr?

The thing that scares me the most and needs to have a $n!tstorm of backlash is if they are considering doing the same thing to Ae.

ADOBE...

PUT THE FULL RANGE OF EXPORT OPTIONS BACK INTO PREMIERE!!!!

AND LEAVE AFTER EFFECTS' EXPORT OPTIONS ALONE!!!!!