29 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 2:16 PM by Curt Wrigley

Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????

gold987987987 Level 1
      I currently have CS3 and would like to upgrade to CS4 if it agrees with my system. My specs are:

Q6600 @3.2Ghz
      ASUS P5E WS motherboard
      4GB DDR2 800mhz
      4 500GB drives (7,200)
      8800GT nVidia
      XP x64

Do you have similar specs and run CS4?
      Are you having problems?
      Do you want to kill yourself because it would be easier than going back to CS3?

Like it or Love it, what are your specs?
        • 1. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
          Level 1
          What kind of footage will you be editing?
          • 2. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
            Curt Wrigley Level 4
            XP 64 is not supported. Some report it works, but any problems you would be on your own.
            • 3. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
              gold987987987 Level 1
              Great question!

I'll only be working on HDV from a Canon XH-A1 in 24f mode.

Yep, I'm aware that it's only supported under Vista.
              • 4. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                Level 1
                Probably not, but it might not run at a useable pace on your hardware if you get the dreaded hardware compatibility problem, evidenced by 10-second freeze-ups of the entire Windows UI every 2 seconds. Then again, you might be one of the lucky ones for whom CS4 just works fine. It's a gamble.
                • 5. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                  gold987987987 Level 1
                  Are you serious, it's really a crap shoot at this point?
                  • 6. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                    Level 1
                    Scott, I finished a project that was shot 24f with the Canon XL-H1 in CS4 (I started it in CS3) and had no problems. I'm one of the lucky ones Mark mentioned - I'm running CS4 and not really having any problems at all. I'm tempted to say that there are more of us "lucky ones" then many in this forum lead you to believe.
                    • 7. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                      gold987987987 Level 1
                      Thanks eric, that is true. You never really read post like, "Wow, CS4 rocks, it runs great on my system!" We only hear the problems.
                      Would you mind posting your system stats Eric?
                      Thanks,
                      • 8. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                        Level 1
                        HP 8400 workstation, 6 GB RAM, Vista 64, Dual Quad Core Xeon 2GHz, 2.5 TB internal storage...
                        • 9. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                          gold987987987 Level 1
                          Any Q6600, 8800GT and XP x64 owners out there?
                          What are your experiences?
                          • 10. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            I transfered some footage shot from that camera do DVD on a job a few weeks ago and had no problems. Quad 9550 8gb RAM Vista 64 and Vista 32 8800 Nvidia
                            • 11. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                              Level 1
                              It would be useful data for everyone to list their motherboard chipset and graphics controller model, and whether CS4 runs smoothly or stutters/freezes. We may or may not see a correlation between certain hardware and these problems. Then perhaps Adobe can address it in a future update.
                              • 12. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                Level 1
                                The only footage I seem to have playback problems with is AVCHD, and if I adjust the program montor quality to draft or automatic, it plays fine. Although, the only AVCHD footage I've used is high quality footage from a HMC-150 - I'm curious if the lower quality settings from the camera would result in the same thing or smooth playback.
                                • 13. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                  Luc Delamare
                                  My specs are:
                                  Q6600 @ only 2.4GHz
                                  4gb ddr 2 1066mhz
                                  radeon hd 4870
                                  but I don't have 64 bit Vista, just regular 32 bit Ultimate

CS4 seems to work fine. I have not used CS4 for that long, so I may still run into problems. I can use PP and AE simultaneously and still have room to spare (Dynamic Link works great). I work with both HDV and regular DV, and obviously HDV chokes things up a bit. I would say that's expected of a custom built computer. (Wish I could afford a nice workstation) If you are particularly attached to CS3 I would stick with it for a bit longer, and see if Adobe can patch up some of the problems this forum talks about.
                                  • 14. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                    Level 1
                                    I won't suggest you to upgrade to CS4 while you work with XP x64. Either switch to 32bit XP or buy Vista x64 if you want to work with CS4.

I work on a workstation loaded with XP x64 and I had several problems with the 4.01 patch applied on. Also some issues prior patching occurred.

At home I work with CS4.01 and XP x32,it is stable (and of course the Open GL acceleration is on, unlike x64) --the AC3 problem is a fact both in x32 and x64 (CS4.01)

I think Adobe has to reconsider it's QC policy when a new version is about to launch. My personal opinion is that Adobe has to focus on the creativity (lost) and not mimic Microsoft.

My dear Adobe, some guys spend money at your products and (we) demand not to lost a dime/client from a buggy product such as CS4. Fix these issues ASAP. (maybe offtopic but quite angry, sorry).

Sorry for my english I am not a native english speaker.
                                    • 15. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                      Level 1
                                      It is starting to look like Premiere CS4 is an ATI Radeon application and unfriendly to nVidia cards on the whole. A look through the forums indicate problem after problem and nVidia GF8800 as the hardware. Those with no major problems are running ATI cards in many cases. Hmmm...
                                      • 16. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                        gold987987987 Level 1
                                        I have to agree. I've looked in all the forums from AE, PP, PS, EN for problems and the 8800 nVidia series cards seem to be causing all the trouble. What sucks is that it's listed as a certified or compatible display card for both CS3 and CS4. I'm about to drop my 8800GT and get me something that works.

Same on Adobe and nVidia.
                                        • 17. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                          gold987987987 Level 1
                                          That should have read, "Shame on Adobe and nVidia".
                                          • 18. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                            Level 1
                                            @Mark Weiss

I assure you, ATi configurations have problems too.

I have one workstation with ASUS VGA EAH4870X2 2GB Ram ATi chip (latest drivers) and also a workstation with Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512Mb Ram, both workstations have problems with CS4.

Simply it's the buggiest version of all times.
                                            • 19. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                              Level 1
                                              Well mark the GF8800GTS and the Quadro FX4600 as both no good for CS4.
                                              Two quad core machines, same Gigabyte P35-DQ6 motherboard, same F9 BIOS, same XP SP2 version.. one runs CS3 like a charm, the other won't run CS4 well enough to edit even a small project.
                                              One would think a popular combination like the P35 chipset, quad core and nVidia cards would be a tested combination for CS4, but I guess not.
                                              • 20. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                I have very few problems to date with 8800GT. But my Quadro FX 4400 is unstable in vista64. It worked very well in XP Pro, I believe it to be a driver issue conflicting with something unknown!!!! In PP when a clip is put into timeline that whole panel turns black.
                                                • 21. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                  Hi all,was just cruising around some forums looking for XP 32 bit issues with CS4.I have it on my PC which is Vista,but my wife uses it and hogs my PC so I want to install it on her XP PC.I see mixed replies so Im just going to install it and hope Im one of the lucky ones.I have noticed some saying the 8800GT was a problem,I have to disagree.I am running CS4 on my gamer which has 2 8800GT in SLI and so far CS4 has worked perfectly.I know very little about photoshop software thats my wives area of expertise,she says its works great.

My Specs
                                                  Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
                                                  AMD Phenom X4 940 @ 3.0 Gig
                                                  8 Gig Patriot Extreme DDR3 1333Mhz
                                                  Asus M3N-HT Deluxe Mobo
                                                  2 8800GT in SLI
                                                  SB X-FI Fatality Sound Card
                                                  WD 500 Gig Sata 7200rpm 16 meg
                                                  • 22. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                    fuaho Level 1
                                                    Something that no one has mentioned, especially regarding stuttering playback is that it appears to be caused by the audio, not the video.

I'm running XP x64 on an Intel mobo w/quad processor Q9550 w/ 8-GB DDR3 RAM and an nVidia GTX260XXX with latest driver. Runs perfectly fine with DVCAM or 720x480 animations from sequential tif files.

Mostly runs fine with 1280x720p 30fps MJPG avi's. Stupid AME still will not properly use the installed codec to export, so that adds a step to workflow.

But the other day, after loading in some additional audio tracks, the HiDef stuff started stuttering.

I shut off all the audio tracks and it played totally smoothly. Turned some tracks back on and it stuttered.

Turned the audio back off and it played perfectly again!

No audio card, just embedded. Surround sound capable, but I'm only using stereo.

WTF?
                                                    • 23. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                      What are the disk locations for media, project, CFA's and rendered files?
                                                      • 24. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                        You know XP64 is not supported by Adobe; right?
                                                        • 25. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                          I too as running XP64 and found that CS4 would not run. I had to "upgrade" to Vista 64. CS4 appear to run very well with Vista and an upgrade to 6 gig of RAM.
                                                          • 26. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                            fuaho Level 1
                                                            Everything is on four 500GB, 7200-rpm drives setup as a single 1-TB Raid 10.

And yes, I know that "officially" XP x64 Professional is not supported, however, when I spec'd the computer and had it built and delivered in early September, there was no indication from Adobe that they were going to abandon X64 with CS4 (Thank you Adobe!).

Since I had just paid for and had a working installation of X64, I was not of the mind to invest the time and money to go to an untried, resource hogging OS just to have flashy icons, so when Production Premium CS4 arrived in mid October, I installed it and everything, except Premiere, worked perfectly.

Photoshop 64-bit is amazing! And rock solid. I love that the Clone Stamp shows you what it will look like before you apply it and that the fonts all show previews.

After Effects runs my 1280x720p footage at 25 - 30 fps and exports Composition/Make Movie using the LEAD MJPG codec perfectly. Never any problems whatsoever.

Encore works flawlessly, although I admit I'm just scratching the surface of how to use it.

And, once I got a clearer picture of how Dynamic Link works from an Adobe employee who actually knew how it worked, rather than the poorly written descriptions in all the Adobe documentation, even DL has been stable and usable.

Only Premiere has ever crashed.

Only AME has failed to export using the MJPG codec. Before the update, it too would crash. After the update, it exports about 1-minute's worth of timeline, and then reports a "disk full" error.

As long as I am working with DV footage, everything is fine in Premiere. And as long as I export hidef footage as UYVY uncompressed through AME and compress the output later in the workflow, everything is fine.

So, Officially supported or not, XP x64 works just fine.

But, the point of my original post is that a number of people are having timeline playback problems and perhaps the audio has more to do with it than the video card/drivers.

Thought they might like to know in case it might help solve some issues. :)
                                                            • 27. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                              >there was no indication from Adobe that they were going to abandon X64 with CS4

To be fair, no version of the production software was officially supported on XP 64. Support wasn't abandoned, it was simply never added.
                                                              • 28. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                                fuaho Level 1
                                                                An interesting excerpt from:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/venezia/archives/020850.html

...For the majority of business uses, Windows XP and Office 97 or 2000 are more than enough to handle day-to-day business tasks. In this economy, upgrading functional server and desktop operating systems isn't in the budget, especially when there's no business reason to do so. This isn't a secret, since the corporate response to Vista was lukewarm at best, and those that jumped on the Vista bandwagon initially certainly aren't going to be thrilled to make another leap to Windows 7 so soon. I do know that I'm in absolutely no hurry to move away from Windows XP as the corporate desktop except in some extreme cases -- it's just not worth it.

This leaves Microsoft selling to home users and power users, and relying on the OEM installations to push copies of Windows. The problem there is that by working on Windows 7 so soon after Vista's launch, Microsoft has effectively orphaned Vista -- why buy a copy now when Windows 7 is right around the corner?

In short, did Microsoft peak with Windows XP?

Posted by Paul Venezia on January 26, 2009 11:28 AM
                                                                • 29. Re: Will I commit suicide by upgrading to CS4????
                                                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                                  > there was no indication from Adobe that they were going to abandon X64 with CS4

Jim beat me to it. You cant abandon something that was never supported. And if you were a more keen observer; Adobe announced PS CS4 was going to run on Vista 64 pretty early on; and in those announcements they indicated XP64 would not be supported. Ergo; nor would the suite.