14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2009 8:26 AM by fuaho

Tripod recommendations.

Level 1
      Does anybody here have tripod recomendations for the EX1 and advice on where can I cat good deals on them? Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Tripod recommendations.
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper(ds)&sq= asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=&ci=3909&at=Brand_Vinten&at=Material_Carbo n+Fiber&at=Stage_2+Stage&basicSubmit=Submit+Query
          • 2. Re: Tripod recommendations.
            fuaho Level 1
            I'd also recommend B&H. They have so many tripods and systems available you should have no trouble finding something that fits your requirements and budget.

Since you'll only need to support 10-11 lbs, you have a huge range of choices. Get a good fluid head that can be levelled and has fully adjustable drag settings for pan and tilt combined with lightweight but rigid legs.

Depending on what you plan to shoot, you might look at some of the new combinations that give you babylegs, standard legs, standard legs with riser and monopod all in one.

Have fun!
            • 3. Re: Tripod recommendations.
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              > Since you'll only need to support 10-11 lbs,

That is only true if you have no Letus, matte box, rail, AB batteries, wireless receiver, lights, shotgun, external monitor and the like. I would go for a Vinten Vision 6 and depending on your use either the ML spreader or GL spreader. Both are under $ 4K. That is still cheap in comparison to the camera.
              • 4. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I like B&H for this kind of thing myself. Good selection, very reputable.
                • 5. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                  Thrill Media Level 2
                  A few people on the DVX user forum recommended this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/366495-REG/Cartoni_F101_F101_Focus_Aluminum_Tripod.h tml

Not sure what your budget is.
                  • 6. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Different price, different league and far less rigid legs, not to speak about the quality of the head. A good tripod, but you get what you pay for.
                    • 7. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                      Thrill Media Level 2
                      "Different price, different league and far less rigid legs, not to speak about the quality of the head. A good tripod, but you get what you pay for."

True, that's why I brought up budget. This is a good read if you are looking for a variety of opinions.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=121274&highlight=tripod+suggestions

Let us know what you get!
                      • 8. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Most people, myself including, make the mistake of investing less money on a tripod than they invest on a camera. For instance, they buy a $ 4K camera and spend around $ 1 or 2K on a tripod. They forget that the investment in a good tripod will mean the difference between a good shot or one lost. They also forget that a good tripod will last at least 4 or 5 cameras. If on average your camera will last 3 years, you will get at least 5 camera lifespans on your tripod, so what are we talking about? Peanuts if you invest at least your camera's worth in a good tripod. Anything less and you know what will happen:
                        b "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. If you pay money to monkeys, you get rich monkeys."

i Use that statement when negotiating with your employer about your raise and let us hear his reaction..
                        • 9. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I disagree with Harm on this one. You can get excellent tripods for MUCH less than the cost of an EX1. In fact I'd say a tripod in the same price category would probably be overkill for an EX1, even with all the accessories.
                          • 10. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            Jim,

I admitted I made the mistake myself. Once I have bought a Bogen 525/503 combo which was around $ 1K and often you hear raving comments about it, but also disastrous ones. I am now considering it a lousy investment, it is nowhere near to mediocre at best IMO and I am a mere hobbyist, not a pro. But I'm seriously looking at the Vision 6 as a replacement. Some mention Libec, but that is IMO far inferior to Vinten/Sachtler. Miller and Cartoni are good intermediates and Gitzo is good for still cameras. If you want to get anything proper that will last a lifetime, look only at Vinten or Sachtler, but be careful not to go with the new or fancy stuff like the Sachtler Zoom series. Go for the proven ones. You only invest once in a tripod (at least in theory, unless you make a mistake like I did) in your lifetime.
                            • 11. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                              shooternz Level 6
                              > You can get excellent tripods for MUCH less than the cost of an EX1. In fact I'd say a tripod in the same price category would probably be overkill for an EX1, even with all the accessories.

You must look at the Head and Legs as a package and it is certainly an area where you get what you pay for. Very easy to spend the price of an EX1 or a Panny on a camera support kit and the better they are the better the "performance for the operator". IMHO a head and legs can not be too heavy (within reason)

I agree that they should last a lifetime. Plenty of evidence of that from the rental companies.

BTW : Stills photographers use tripods. Movie guys use a "Head and Legs"

BTW - I use a Miller DS-25 as my lighter rig for a HVX202 and a Cartoni for slightly more critical work with the HVX202
                              • 12. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                I've had no problem with my own Bogen (3285/503), cost me about $600.

I have used two really crummy Sachtler's owned by another company.
                                • 13. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  I am just figuring that with my new DOF Adapter (that just arrived today)...I will be mainly on the Cartoni when using the HVX.

Surprising how heavy a little HVX gets all of a sudden with that rig attached. The Letus elite with Nikkor and PL lens mounts is very solidly built

I have never used a head and legs that were too heavy (except for lugging the suckers around) but I have used plenty that were too light and not up to the shot. I used to love using "the wheels" on a geared head and was reasonably flash at it. Thats another dying art but man is it fun to operate.

Hey juju ...get an Arri or Worrel geared head for your EX1
                                  • 14. Re: Tripod recommendations.
                                    fuaho Level 1
                                    ...and then practice by writing your name with it.