11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 1:25 AM by rlinsurf1

Blu-Ray workflow

rlinsurf1 Level 1
      Hi--

I've captured my source using mjpeg. I need to edit it, then encode it for Blu-Ray. I've never done this before, and I was hoping Premiere CS4 on Windows would be the right solution.

Can anyone tell me what their workflow is to do this? For example, should I use AVCHD for the encoding and if so, does Premiere do that?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
          Level 1
          Your source is mpeg, which I think Encore expects for Blu-Ray.
          • 2. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
            akribie Level 2
            There is a very significant difference between MJPEG (the stated source) and MPEG (a flavour of which ends up on DVD).

In CS4, there is a dynamic link between PPro and Encore, so at the basic level you can set up the sequences in PPro to match your source CODEC and leave it to Encore to transcode as required.

Investigation of subtle benefits (if any) of alternate strategies can follow once you have some projects behind you.
            • 3. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
              rlinsurf1 Level 1
              Hi, David--

So you mean the final encoding happens not in PPro but in Encore? So can Encore do AVCHD? That's the standard format for Blu-Ray I've been told. Or is there a better format to use?

Thanks again.
              Jeffrey
              • 4. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                > So can Encore do AVCHD? That's the standard format for Blu-Ray I've been told.

You have been misled.

The standard format for Bluray is either MPG2 or H.264.

Im not sure why your source is MJPG, but assuming that is true and makes sense for you; edit it in Pr, Send it to Encore via DL to a bluray project. Build whatever menus you want in encore and let encore encode and burn to bluray for you. Encore will let you pick MPG2 or H.264 as the encoding for bluray. The later is a bit more effecient, but some say mpg2 is slightly more compatible to "older" bluray players.

Curt
                • 5. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
                  Level 1
                  take a look here

http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/
                  • 6. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
                    rlinsurf1 Level 1
                    Hi, Curt--

Thanks for the headsup. I'll definitely encode in h.264.

Sorry for the n00b question... what's DL?

Also, is the encoding in h.264 fairly straightforward, or are there settings I should be aware of? If so, could you suggest some optimum settings specifically for Blu-Ray?

Thanks again.
                    • 7. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                      DL = Dynamic Link.

New for CS4; you can edit your HD video in Pr and then Send ti via DL to encore for authoring to bluray. The benefit to DL is you dont need to export the movie from Pr at all.

When ENcore opens simply select Bluray as the disk type (vs DVD) choose H.264 give it a project name and leave everything else default.

Encore will then open a project with your Pr sequence alreay imported and set as the first play object. You can make menus if you wish or let the sequence auto play. Then put a blank bluray disk in your drive and click burn Encore will take care of the bluray encoding for you.

Curt
                      • 8. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
                        rlinsurf1 Level 1
                        That sounds great.

If you don't mind me bothering you with a couple of more questions?

What is the command to do this? And second, can Encore produce a disc image with which I can burn additional discs, or do I have to do each disc using the above procedure?

Thanks again :)

All My Best,
                        Jeffrey
                        • 9. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                          Im not at my editing WS now; but from Pr use the file menu>Dynamic Link>Send to encore. (or something close to that) That sends the active sequence from Pr to Encore.

Or; you can do it the opposite way. Dont even open Pr. Start a new Bluray project in Encore and from its Dynamic link menu import 1 or more Pr sequences.

Yes; you can use encore to make multiple copies. You can either specify x copies for your disk build, Or you can build an image rather than a disk. Ive always used encore to burn to bluray; so i dont have experience using other apps to burn a bluray image.

Curt
                          • 10. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
                            rlinsurf1 Level 1
                            Thanks, Curt. I really appreciate you stepping me through this. I'll give it a try as soon as I get everyting set up.

All My Best,
                            Jeffrey
                            • 11. Re: Blu-Ray workflow
                              rlinsurf1 Level 1
                              Hi, Curt--

Looks like I've got one more question. If my original material is mjpeg, what bitrate in H.264 should I use to match the quality of the original? And does it make sense to go over this amount -- i.e., will the quality be somehow better?

Thanks again.

All My Best,
                              Jeffrey