15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2009 4:53 PM by Colin Brougham

Scene Detection during capture

LudaDave
      I will try to keep this simple. Here's some background on what I am trying to accomplish. I shoot sporting events for recruitment videos. During the games I start and stop recording on each play. So at the end of the day I end up with 100+ clips for each game/match. During capture I need my software to be able to detect each scene which saves me valuable time in post. I can quickly scrub each clip and decide what to dump. I shoot in HD(HDV) because the resolution allows me to do much more during post.

Premiere Pro does not detect HD(HDV) scenes as every other NLE I have seen does. So my first question is why not? I hate having to use multiple NLEs/programs when the Adobe Suite of programs should do the job.

Without getting into why, I currently capture on a Macbook because iMovie and/or Finalcut will detect scenes. Then I use my Mac OS copy of Premiere Pro (CS3) to edit since it does allow me to import .mov files BUT I have CS4 Production Premium on a much more powerful PC which I would love to use BUT I cannot import the .mov files I have captured on my Macbook to PP CS4 on the PC ... I get a codec missing or unavailable message. Which I don't understand when Adobe publishes .mov files as being supported under the windows version. I contacted Adobe Support and was told the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) is not supported. How can that be? Isn't that Apples standard Codec? Sorry for the long winded post but there has to be a workaround or something simple I am missing. Any suggestions are appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Scene Detection during capture
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          On a PC use HDVSplit, if you have a Mac, trade it in and get a PC with HDVSplit.
          • 2. Re: Scene Detection during capture
            LudaDave Level 1
            Thanks but what I am trying to do is avoid using multiple programs and I would love to just import the hundreds of clips I have already captured. I do not want to have to recapture them in order to import to the PC. So I am looking for suggestions on how to do that OR on how to ask Adobe to enable scene detection for HD/HDV footage. I can't understand why they do not.
            • 3. Re: Scene Detection during capture
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              > I would love to just import the hundreds of clips I have already captured.

Read the manual on importing

> how to ask Adobe to enable scene detection for HD/HDV footage.

Send a feature request.

> I do not want to have to recapture them in order to import to the PC.

Then why do you want scene detection? It makes no sense.

> I can't understand why they do not.

They are always the last to give that option. That is why I suggested HDVSplit.
              • 4. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                Level 1
                >On a PC use HDVSplit, if you have a Mac, trade it in and get a PC with HDVSplit.

:-)
                • 5. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                  LudaDave Level 1
                  Reading the manual has nothing to do with my post. If your read my entire post then you would know why I need scene detection. Enough with the HDVSplit....I have it...I know how to use it....READ my post....my question is on how to get PP CS4 to recognize the Apple Intermeadiate Codec...geez
                  • 6. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    The way I read your post was "How can I edit with CS4 on a PC and get scene detect with HDV media?"

HDVSplit is probably the best answer to that dilemma. You may not want to recapture, but you may just have to.
                    • 7. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      > If your read my entire post then you would know why I need scene detection.

> I would love to just import the hundreds of clips I have already captured.

b Why do you need scene detection if you have already captured and only want to import?

That is why I told you to read up on importing already captured clips.
                      • 8. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        There is no AIC component for Quicktime on Windows. Don't blame Adobe for lack of support; blame Apple.

There is, however, a Windows ProRes422 QT component. You might consider capturing to ProRes, instead of AIC, at least in the future. You should be able to edit those in PPro on Windows (with the proper QT component).
                        • 9. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                          LudaDave Level 1
                          as stated above I captured the .mov clips on my Macbook BUT I want to import the .mov files to my PC because it is a much more powerful system and would saved me hours of render time BUT Premiere Pro (ON MY PC!!!) will not allow me to import the .mov files and I do not understand why If you looke at the "supported files" section of Premiere Pro CS4 (IN THE MANUAL...yes I read the manual)it states that the windows (PC) version of Premiere Pro does support .mov files BUT I get a "missing or unavailable codec" message.....etc READ MY POST!!!!!!

I understand there may be no other work around at this time (or maybe someone out there knows of one) OTHER than using 3rd party programs.....this is suppose to be a SUITE.....hence I should be able to do everything within the Adobe collection. At the price we pay for this software it is unacceptable to me.
                          • 10. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            Possibly one of the (un)stated privileges of using a MAC?
                            • 11. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                              LudaDave Level 1
                              Thank you Colin! Finally a legitimate answer. It all goes back to the fact that PP doesn't allow scene detection during capture on HD/HDV footage like every other NLE on the market. I was very surprised that CS4 didn't address this. So I am forced to use 3rd party software/ other NLE until Adobe gets up to speed.
                              • 12. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                                LudaDave Level 1
                                Harm - I use a Mac becuase Finalcut and iMovie can detect scenes on HD/HDV footage plain and simple. Had I known that there would be a codec issue I would not have gone that route. I have found them both to work better ( less buggy) then HDVSplit and Pinnacle Studio.
                                • 13. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                  Pinnacle Studio is rather a curse, but HDVSplit works fine, at least with PR. Whatever your preference in platform, exchanging between the two is difficult and troublesome or so it appears.
                                  • 14. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                                    LudaDave Level 1
                                    Ok I have confirmed that setting the capture codec to ProRes422 when capturing via Finalcut Pro 6 on my Macbook Pro will allow me to import the same clips to Premiere Pro CS4 on my windows vista PC. Thanks again Colin!

Why? Because I use my Macbook Pro on location. I film sporting events which I have found works best in post if I start/stop recording after each play. I end up with 100 or so clips. I am making highlight videos so it is easier to scrub through small clips to determine what I am going to use than it is to scrub through the same 2 hour footage to tag in/out points. To get the clips I need a capture program that can detect scenes. Finalcut does this automatically during capture. I prefer to do all of my post in Premiere Pro but it will not detect scenes with HD/HDV footage. Finally when I get the footage home I have a much more powerful PC to edit and render out and being able to just transfer my .mov clips from the MacBook to the PC for import to PP is awesome.
                                    • 15. Re: Scene Detection during capture
                                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                                      You're welcome, David--glad to be a help.

For anyone else interested, here is the Apple ProRes QuickTime Decoder for Windows.