11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 6:19 AM by Eddie Lotter

Help setting up for spicific output sizes

Level 1
      This is probably a very basic issue but I need help. I am using Premier Pro CS4 and have a variety of digital media sizes ranging from from 320x240 to 720x480 and need to find the correct way to set things up so i can scale the different sources up or down to match my final out put size of 480X360. And the best way to get a specific sized scale.

Thank you!!!
        • 1. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
          shooternz Level 6
          In your case (ie using mixed source file sizes)...I would suggest you customise a project to the end result you want. (480 x 360)

You will have to scale your files up and down to match the project and render everything. You will also take a quality hit on the files you scale up.
          • 2. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
            Level 1
            Thanks Craig. I can not find any project preferences other then the standard full screen sizes or small ipod like sizes. Where are these settings. Also can I change the settings of a current project since I already have my media laid out in a current project that is set up for full frame?
            • 3. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
              akribie Level 2
              In Desktop Editing Mode (see option screen for new sequence) you can set any frame size you like for the sequence, but you'll need to obey any frame size constraints set by your output CODEC).

In preferences you can opt to have clips sized to project frame size. This sets a baseline for the scaling you can later adjust under Motion without affecting the underlying resolution if you subsequently want to adjust the zoom level on the timeline. But this needs to be done before importing your material. Too late if you've already laid out your timeline.
              • 4. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
                Level 1
                I will try this tomorrow. If I get stuck any chance I could pay you for some phone support. I need to get this done tomorrow...

Thanks
                • 5. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
                  Level 1
                  I was able to get it all set up but at the end of a day resetting up all my stuff I found a confusing issue. Both my source and output are setup for 480x360. After scalling all the midia to fill the preview window it looked like I was in good shape. The problem is when I went to export the media both source and output show 480x360 but the export source preview shows black top and bottom and the output shows black on all sides.

If you know what causes this great but if not...any chance I can show you on a shared screen and get your help - please?

John
                  • 6. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    Recheck your sequence and export settings. CS4 sets this per sequence, not project, right? Your results suggest that something is wrong, or that you have not in fact scaled the source clips correctly. How did you do the scaling? Did you use David J's method on import or what other method?

What are your export settings including format (flash, wmv, etc)

I think they are still called the "source monitor" (e.g. when you open a clip from the project bin) and the "program monitor" (what plays from the timeline).

> After scaling all the midia to fill the preview window

Which window? What was the window set to (100%? "Fit?")? I don't think it should matter, but the way you word it makes me wonder what is going on.
                    • 7. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please post a link to a screen capture of your export settings. Show the entire window.

Cheers
                      Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                      - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                      - Over 250 free tutorials
                      - Maintained by editors like you
                      Forum FAQ
                      • 8. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
                        Level 1
                        Ok this is driving me crazy...I have tried setting up new sequences, new projects and everything I can imagine. I thought I found it when I discovered that setting the program monitor to 100% doesn't actually show you the whole frame...what was I thinking - errrrrr. I set it to 75% and saw that all my media was not going edge to edge as suggested by Stanley above. I re-scaled all the media and then went to the export window and on the output screen I saw the re-size box was checked and I had black edges again. When I turned it off it changed the output size to 436X360.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to the screen grabs - http://johnandtj.com/pics/

Picture 1 shows my desktop with the preview and program window at 75% and that I have the correct sequence selected at the top of the program monitor (sequences settings in Picture 2).

Picuure 2 shows my sequence settings and the frame size of 480X360

Picture 3 shows my export settings and preview on the source tab

Picture 4 shows my my export settings and preview on the output tab and the fact that it sees the video as too tall hence the re-size is checked and it shrinks the video and gives black left and right.

Picture 5 shows my my export settings and preview on the output tab and the video fits but the re-size is unchecked and so the size is 436x360. (How is this possible).

PLEASE HELP me figure out this insanity (or just loan me a gun :-)

I will be off line till late pacific time and will hope to fine a miracle answer to get me going on this late night session...

MANY, MANY THANKS!
                        • 9. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Your sequence PAR is wrong. Change it to 1 (square) and your problems will vanish.

Cheers
                          Eddie

Forum FAQ
                          • 10. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
                            Level 1
                            YOU ROCK!!!!

Thank you everyone - hopefully I can get through this on my own now :-)

John
                            • 11. Re: Help setting up for spicific output sizes
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

You're welcome.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Happy editing. Happy editor

Cheers
                              Eddie

Forum FAQ