1 2 Previous Next 70 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 6:41 PM by the_wine_snob

AVI imported files don't  play correctly

Level 1
      I have some AVI files I have been using with Premiere Pro 2, and they worked OK with it. E.g. MPEG-4.
      Now I am importing these AVI clips to Premiere Pro CS4 and they don't play correctly in it. The video runs very quickly, while the sound plays normally.
      Interesting enough, there are some other AVI files that have the same specifications that work OK with Premiere Pro CS4.
      How can I fix Premiere Pro CS4 to import correctly all my AVI files?
        • 1. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          What AVI? What codec? AVI means nothing, it is just a wrapper.
          • 2. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Even MPEG-4 means little. There are so many variables with MPEG that it's not surprising Premiere can have trouble with some and not others. That's why it's best to use only standard source media (generally from a camera). For CS4, these types include:

DV
            HDV
            AVCHD
            DVCPRO HD
            XDCAM EX
            XDCAM HD

With any other clips, you could easily run into trouble.
            • 3. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
              Level 1
              Thanks for the responses to my issue. I knew that AVI can mean lots of things (in my case 4CC=MP42, pixels: 320x240, bitrate= 572 kb/s, 29.971 FPS), that's why I emphasized that the same files work OK with Premiere Pro 2, and even some from the same source with similar specification work OK. So, I am not asking something that is far fetched. I kind of expected the new version of Premiere Pro to be able to do what its predecessor did and more.
              I also know that I have a simple (though annoying) workaround - to use Premiere Pro 2 to convert those clips to DV-AVI and then use them in Premiere Pro CS4.
              The question now is - is there a way to tweak Premiere Pro CS4 so it will be able to work with some of the old formats (codecs?) that Premiere Pro 2 did?
              • 4. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                WebOfWebs Level 1
                Hello
                I too am having this problem.
                I start a new project and import an AVI (that used to work just fine with CS2). I add it to the Source Window and the video plays too fast followed by jumping. The sound is fine.

The AVI plays fine in various players. And it behaves fine in the FREE Windows Movie Maker. So what gives?

I have a clean, high spec PC running XPsp3 with latest everything.

I even tried installing "k-lite codec pack" but it didnt help.
                • 5. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  > I even tried installing "k-lite codec pack" but it didnt help.

Time for a complete reformat of your hard drive, a reinstall of Windows and all software if you took that road.
                  • 6. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                    WebOfWebs Level 1
                    thanks for the reply, but reinstalling my entire pc just to get this working is not an option. and as everything else is working wonderfully, the fault is clearly with Premiere. An equal reaction would be to get my money back and go with the competition...

This is definately not an unheard of problem. (i've been googleing and yahooing for hours.)

update: i removed k-lite. the avi played fine, but my editors could then only play sound. i installed k-lite v445full (latest) and i'm back to where i was before.

It seems to me i need someone who understands codecs and how to manipulate them, or their usage.
                    • 7. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                      Level 1
                      Same to me.
                      Premiere CS4 on a fresh Windows System

AVI from "Canon IXUS 500" or from "Canon IXUS 80 IS"
                      Videocodec is: MJPG (Motion JPEG)
                      Audiocodec is: PCM Audio

Windows Mediaplayer 9 plays it correct. In Premiere the Audio is correct but Video hangs. I can see only two frames of it.
                      • 8. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                        >I even tried installing "k-lite codec pack"

BAD idea.
                        >I have a clean...PC

Not anymore.
                        • 9. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                          fuaho Level 1
                          If you do a search for MJPEG in this forum, you will find links to the LEAD MCMP/MJPEG codec website. Install the demo.

HTH,
                          • 10. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            > Windows Mediaplayer 9 plays it correct. In Premiere the Audio is correct but Video hangs. I can see only two frames of it.

Why not use WMP to watch those files? It plays correctly, so why not use it? Trying with PR makes about the same sense as filling up your car with orange juice and then complaining it no longer starts.

The material you want to use is for watching, so use WMP. It is not for editing, so DON'T use PR.
                            • 11. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                              Level 1
                              I don't want to watch this files for now. I want to edit it. I have lots of avi files from holiday and want to edit them together to a complete film. Thats why I import the files in Premiere.

On a codec site I found the message that mjpeg is ideal for editing.
                              Look at "What is MJPEG"
                              http://www.leadcodecs.com/Codecs/LEAD-MCMP-MJPEG.htm

GSpot tells me that I have a codec for that files. So what are the circumstances that Premiere do not play this file? And why can sam bright play this files with PR 2? Play means a preview in Premiere!
                              • 12. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                WebOfWebs Level 1
                                Hello again,
                                Thanks everyone for their input.
                                I have tried k-lite and Community Codec Pack. Both solved the problem of "sound ok, video missing" in Premiere. (This is why i installed them in the first place! On fresh machines... bla bla boring).

Codec packs are great if you know what you are doing and why !!
                                They have saved me hours of searching for 'odd' codecs that some systems use. I still hope Premiere CS4 will replace the numerous programs I use, but time is running out.

And gregorw is there any more info you can provide? can you try importing into windows movie maker? (And try to ignore noobies that suggest using other programs / quote their grandfathers)

Any more tips anyone?
                                • 13. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                  Level 1
                                  I guess that PP is using Adobe's own codecs. Not the ones that are installed in Windows. So the fix should be done there somehow...
                                  • 14. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                    WebOfWebs Level 1
                                    Sam, you are correct on that, but it gets a tab more complicated...
                                    Once i had installed the CCCP (codec pack) my editors recognised the video & the sound. And ffdshow runs simultaneously. This implies that all editors use the codecs from the pack-program.
                                    so question becomes, why does only Premiere have trouble with specific movies ?
                                    • 15. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                      Level 1
                                      @webb jonathan
                                      importing this files in "Movie Maker" works fine. "Movie Maker" is based or coherent with "Windows Media Player". So the files are played in both of them correctly.

Premiere use codecs which are installed in system as well. But in this fact I can't understand why MovieMaker handle this files and Premiere can not handle it.

At first I thought that Premiere needs an ENCODER to handle the mjpeg-files. But this should only need when I will export the video in mjpeg. So a DECODER should be enough to open mjpeg-files in Premiere. When I play the files in Windows-Mediaplayer it use a DECODER as well. So I am confused about the mistakes in Premiere.

b To get mjpeg-files working in Premiere:

I downloaded a codec from
                                      http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Motion_JPEG_Codec.htm
                                      After installing it I can handle mjpeg-files in Premiere.

But besides this I am furthermore interesting in "Why can Windows-Mediaplayer or MovieMaker handle this files without installing a new codec for mjpeg?"
                                      • 16. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        gregorw,

As of PP 1.5, IIRC, Premiere uses its own playback engine and does not rely on DirectShow any longer. This was done for performance reasons.

At that time, PP was designed almost exclusively around a DV-AVI workflow. In another thread, Jim Simon lists the expanded formats, that PP now handles well, or at least handles.

This is probably why other programs playback different file types, than Premiere.

Hunt
                                        • 17. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                          Level 1
                                          BILL HUNT,

does this mean Premiere use it's own codecs only? Or can you specify it a bit more?

When I install the mjpeg codec -I think this is a directshow codec- Premiere use it. So it uses codecs which comes not with Premiere. The infos in Premiere about this video files after installing this codec are:
                                          Kompressor: 'MJPG',Morgan Multimedia M-JPEG V3 codec

Without this codec I get no information in Premiere about the Kompressor of this video.
                                          • 18. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                            WebOfWebs Level 1
                                            I'd say Premiere uses other codecs installed on your pc.
                                            I tried installing a codec pack (on a clean PC etc), and then installed Premiere. And my "sound ok, no video" didnt occur. (without the codec pack no editors pick up the video).

So i'm convinced that P is using codecs installed outside of Adobe. (Also: calling up info or properties, in various editors, always gives the same details.)

But i am still stuck with the problem of 'Only Premiere plays video too fast then jumps'.
                                            • 19. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              Yes,

PP will use properly installed CODECs, though maybe not all. Lagarith is a good example. PP will both decode and encode, if it's properly installed on one's system. PP also installs its favorite CODECs, though there is a naming convention problem with these, that will get false-positives for problems in Sherlock and similar utilities.

One possible problem with some CODECs is that they are hacked, or reverse-engineered versions of the "real thing." Some do OK, but some do not. I always search out and usually purchase the "real thing," rather than rely on a free, but hacked version. Some of these free versions do play nicely, but a few do not. CODEC "packs" often install a lot of other stuff. If you install one, make sure you can do a custom install and only choose the ones that you need.

John T Smith posted an article on some CODEC packs:
                                              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc22304/3

You might want to follow his link (if it's still active) and have a read, before you just go download and install any CODEC pack.

Hunt
                                              • 20. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                WebOfWebs Level 1
                                                As i discovered, Adobe uses codecs installed on the system. Not just its own. And as my other editors have no problem with my few codecs (real versions, correctly installed, bla,bla...) I am back to the original conculsion - its Premiere.

For fun, i installed my old copy of ULEAD MEDIASTUDIO PRO and guess what? it works!! (doesnt have as many bells & whistles - but IT WORKS)

So i have compiled my various bits into a DVD as i needed to do.

Maybe i try CS5, maybe i get a refund on CS4. But for now i'm just fed up with this NON WORKING PREMIERE
                                                • 21. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  Well, to be fair you are trying to use media that's not the best choice for editing. Premiere has long had issues with "other than pro camera" media. It's really not surprising a consumer app handles that stuff better.
                                                  • 22. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Ok think about you are a director from the news-television. A car drove in a supermarket and the only man who filmed that was a "little consumer man" with a "little consumer camera" named Ixus 500 which takes mjpeg films. What are you doing? Do you say, sorry boss we can't handle the film!?

Premiere have to work with non profi material as well because of the fact that it could be needful.

In the fact that Premiere could handle this file without any errors when I install the reported codec, I think there must be a mistake by Premiere of choosen the right codec for this film. I have a mjpeg codec installed in my system. I think this one is used by Windows-Mediaplayer, Moviemaker. At this time I think Premiere use a different codec. It took the wrong option! After I install the reported mjpeg codec from "Morgan" Premiere think that it is the best to use this codec. And so the film plays correctly.

You can have many codecs installed at same time which are all used for the same video-format. The program which will play this movie has to do the right choice of which codec it will use to decode the movie. A help for this programms is the "Merit" of the codec which describes the priority of a codec. Higher Merit means use this codec first. You can see an example in the picture above.
                                                    http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot.2occ6.jpeg
                                                    First mjpeg codec is the standard windows codec. Second is my installed Morgan mjpeg codec. However without the Morgan codec Premiere should use the first one. I don't know why but I think without the Morgan installed, Premiere use a third codec which plays the movie wrong.
                                                    • 23. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                      >What are you doing?

Probably convert it to something that works, first.

I myself didn't program Premiere. I'm just saying that it's unfair to blame an NLE that wasn't specifically designed to handle the media you want to edit. The solution would be to only use media the NLE can handle. If you get something it can't handle, convert that to something it can.
                                                      • 24. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        gregorw,

Valid analogy. Because clients hand off all sorts of footage, and expect me to edit it, I keep a half-dozen NLE's hanging around, including Premiere Elements 4. I have maybe two dozen utilities, just to handle all sorts of non-pro footage. I use whatever utility, or combo, I need, to get this footage into PP to do the editing.

It's nice when one has DV-AVI to work with, but that is not always the case. It's easier to just Capture, or Import footage into PP, but that is not always a good solution, if not DV-AVI (or a few others), nor the best workflow. Some footage needs maybe two passes through converters, etc., to get them ready. I do this outside of PP, rather than try to "force" it to handle the material.

It's kinda' like the old days, when we had an E-4 processing line, just a few doors down. If a client had shot EK-5247, we had to send it out for processing and printing, before we could edit it. Maybe I just got used to dealing with whatever the footage was, in the best way possible. It's actually more of a "mind set," as the time to convert outside of PP will offset the slowdowns, hangs and other gremlins, while trying to edit. Spend 15 mins. setting up the Assets on the front-end, and edit at full speed with no glitches on the back-end.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                                        • 25. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                          WebOfWebs Level 1
                                                          convert it first? well lets go back a few years and do just that. Oh, it adds hours/days to the production process.
                                                          Hang on - if i use some other software i can do everything directly without converting first.

I've had similar discussions about other software. Some think we should bow to the limits of the software, whereas i think if the software has been made for me, and i pay for it, it should do what i asked for in the first place.

And just to rub it in. i copied my troublesome avi's onto a pen drive and stuck that directly into the usb slot on various Home Cinema DVD / BlueRay Players... And the videos played correctly !!!

So it really is an issue with Premiere.
                                                          (well i have the weekend to decide whether to keep it)
                                                          • 26. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                            >So it really is an issue with Premiere.
                                                            (well i have the weekend to decide whether to keep it)

More correctly, it's an issue with Premiere and the current state of your system.

You should probably ditch Premiere and get your money back. I can almost certainly guarantee that until you are ready to wipe your hard drive clean and install Premiere on a system that isn't gummed up with codec packs and various flavors of other editing software, you will have nothing but trouble trying to use Premiere.

The smart play for your current system is to switch to something like Ulead MSP, which apparently works in the midst of all the stuff floating around on your system.

Good luck,
                                                            -Jeff
                                                            • 27. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                              > i think if the software has been made for me, and i pay for it, it should do what i asked for in the first place.

That is about as accurate as saying I bought a car to get me from A to B and now I find out that I have to use a bridge to cross the Hudson. I can't drive over water, so it is the car manufacturer's fault.

Sorry, you just did not do your homework.
                                                              • 28. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                >if i use some other software i can do everything directly without converting first.

Also a valid solution, and one of the two often recommended. Convert the files to something that works, or use other software.
                                                                • 29. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                  I do not understand some people's aversion to using the proper tools to do jobs. A good mechanic will have plenty of tools, not just a Swiss Army knife. Now, the SA knife might do a fair job for some things, but I have yet to see a mechanic using one.

No NLE can do it all with everything - period! If it could, then wait a week for a new format, or a new OS to come out, and youre back to workarounds, conversions or patching like crazy.

If one has a feature request, then Adobe offers a link for that purpose. As for the myopic idea that any software was designed for
                                                                  b ME
                                                                  , Id suggest getting over that in a hurry.

If Premiere does not work for you, Jeff and Jim have offered very workable solutions.

Hunt
                                                                  • 30. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Hi
                                                                    I do not blame Premiere and I do not think that Premiere could or should handle any video-formats used in the world. I use many of Adobe Tools and this is my first work with Premiere. I respect when it is designed to handle profi formats only (and some others) because of performance.

The only thing that I was wondering about was the fact that the needed codec is installed on my fresh Windows computer and that any other program can handle the video-file. Thats all.

You said that you use differnt converters to convert the video to a format that Premiere could handle. Can you tell me some programs that do good work for you? Which converters are you using? I am interesting of seeing which tools other people use to do this jobs. Currently I used the "Adobe Media Encoder" and convert that mjpeg-file to an "uncompressed Microsoft AVI" that format could be handled by Premiere.
                                                                    • 31. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                      I often use VirtualDub for conversions.
                                                                      • 32. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                        Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                                                        >Can you tell me some programs that do good work for you?

See also: FAQ:How do I convert my files?

Cheers
                                                                        Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                                                        - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                                                        - Over 250 free tutorials
                                                                        - Maintained by editors like you
                                                                        Forum FAQ
                                                                        • 33. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                          WebOfWebs Level 1
                                                                          Looks like i need to spell it out - clean machine: Premiere fails.
                                                                          Other software on clean machine or well-used machine - all work.
                                                                          Hum. You need analogies: if i bought a car to go from A to B and i discover it wont go uphill, i better get it fixed. Barring that, get a refund.

For premiere to fail with a common codec is embarrassing. To not have a way of addressing this - disgraceful.
                                                                          • 34. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                            joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                            " whereas i think if the software has been made for me, and i pay for it, it should do what i asked for in the first place."

How do you go about getting software made for you? Bet that must cost a lot.

I could give a squat if that Premiere doesn't work with consumer codecs. I wish Adobe would stop pandering to consumers and start worrying about making a an editing system that major post houses wouldn't be ashamed of using.
                                                                            • 35. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                              Josh,

There are many PP users, who feel just as you do. This is especially true, as Adobe offers their Elements program, that is more lenient with some file types. I use it to get some "dodgy" Assets into PP for editing. Some complain that Elements is a mere toy, and does not edit as well as PP. While I do not think it's a "toy," I do agree that I would not choose to use it INSTEAD of PP - just as a step in the workflow, when unfortunately necessary. The word "unfortunately" appies to the client's Assets, not to PP not handling it natively. Now, as you have often pointed out, PP could do better with some prosummer and pro capture formats, and that is where the development efforts should be concentrated, IMHO.

webb jonathan,

If you are having problems with PP on a clean machine, maybe someone can directly address the particular issues. That PP does not handle "delivery formats" well, is because they are "delivery formats," and not designed to be edited.

I've never had any problems with PP not working with editing formats, only delivery formats. That is when I open the toolbox and find the correct spanner for the job. Or, look into Vegas, or Avid, or other, if they do a better job with with the specific material. PP is powerful and a very useful (for most of us) tool, but it does not do everything. Time for the "money back" offer.

Hunt
                                                                              • 36. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                >I wish Adobe would stop pandering to consumers and start worrying about making a an editing system that major post houses wouldn't be ashamed of using.

We agree on that!
                                                                                • 37. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                                  Dag Norum Level 2
                                                                                  gregorw,
                                                                                  >Can you tell me some programs that do good work for you?

Please see my two last posts:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b70a0f/13

If Actions and Batch in PhotoShop are not familiar for you, do some reading, this is not the PhotoShop forum.

Dag
                                                                                  • 38. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                                    h2ofun Level 1
                                                                                    Wish folks would get back to the Orig question. I have an AVI file that is doing the same thing. Plays fine on the PC, but the video is too fast in Premiere. The codec says it uses MP42. So how can get get a MP42 codec to work with Premiere?

Dave
                                                                                    • 39. Re: AVI imported files don't  play correctly
                                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                                                      Divide by ten and multiply the fractional part by ten and you end up with MPEG2. Easy, you could have figured that one yourself...
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next