39 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2008 7:50 AM by tuezday14

Social Networking Site

tuezday14

Hi,

I just purchased Dreamweaver CS4.I am new to this. I bought the book and My friend and I are going to do this together.

I would like to know what software I need to set up a social networking site with a twist in that it will be a business networking site.It will be free to members ,it will have a calendar with available dates,basic information,ID#,About Me section,areas of town they are willing to work at,Private Message area,A player,an album area and other areas, as well as placing different wallpaper HTML codes just like Myspace. I would like to add every single business that deals in this particular area( I don't want to disclose what it is @ this point) in the United States ,so this is big project.This is for business only.I would like the site supported by Ads.and with that in mind ,does anyone know how I can accomplish this? I have heard allot about Google Adsence,I would like my site to be right @ the top of Google or any search engine when someone does a search on my particular website.

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: Social Networking Site
          Level 7
          > I just purchased Dreamweaver CS4.I am new to this. I bought the book and
          > My
          > friend and I are going to do this together.

You will need a lot more than DW CS4 to accomplish this.
          To start with you need a programming language. Dynamic
          sites like this have databases and need programming to
          extract data.

• 2. Re: Social Networking Site
            JoeDaSilva Level 4
            The previous company I worked for built a site not unlike yours, aimed at the college crowd though. It took five of us a little over 1100 hours of design and development time, which came out to over $120,000.

Since custom development like that is probably out of our price range, you might consider looking for a pre-rolled "social networking" package.

Here's one: http://www.jamroom.net

If that doesn't meet your needs try searching hotscripts.com for a suitable script that you guys can implement then customize.
            • 3. Re: Social Networking Site
              Level 7

> and
              > with that in mind ,does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Learn step by step how to do it, or hire people after spending time learning
              how to write a RFP for bids and sorting out the BS that comes in.

This is one of those "I just bought dreamweaver- how do i put up a site like
              ebay in two weeks?" question.

I'm not being harsh- realistic is what i want to pound into your head.

--
              Alan
              Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 4. Re: Social Networking Site
                bregent Most Valuable Participant
                How well do you know html and css? Even if you are planning to integrate a pre-rolled social networking application, you will first need to become expert in html and css or you won't get anywhere.
                • 5. Re: Social Networking Site
                  Level 7
                  tuezday14 wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I just purchased Dreamweaver CS4.I am new to this. I bought the book and My
                  > friend and I are going to do this together.
                  >
                  > I would like to know what software I need to set up a social networking site
                  > with a twist in that it will be a business networking site.It will be free to
                  > members ,it will have a calendar with available dates,basic
                  > information,ID#,About Me section,areas of town they are willing to work
                  > at,Private Message area,A player,an album area and other areas, as well as
                  > placing different wallpaper HTML codes just like Myspace. I would like to add
                  > every single business that deals in this particular area( I don't want to
                  > disclose what it is @ this point) in the United States ,so this is big
                  > project.This is for business only.I would like the site supported by Ads.and
                  > with that in mind ,does anyone know how I can accomplish this? I have heard
                  > allot about Google Adsence,I would like my site to be right @ the top of Google
                  > or any search engine when someone does a search on my particular website.

How well do you know servers? Your going to need lots of them in a
                  clustered environment? How good are you at security? You need some
                  serious experts on your team to help stop yourself getting hacked. You
                  need much more than Dreamweaver to build this site. How big is your budget?

--
                  Posting Guidelines
                  http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
                  How To Ask Smart Questions
                  http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
                  • 6. Re: Social Networking Site
                    My question is close, I want to do the same thing, but not public, but a group of friends. I would like to allow them to have a page they could arrange how they like, a massage board and a chat room, where we could chat.
                    • 7. Re: Social Networking Site
                      Level 7

> a massage board

Just can't resist- but can't type the reply i have in mind.

Go to http://hotscripts.com for a prewritten script.
                      Or google every word you don't understand and Learn how to do it yourself.

Or find someone to do it for you, and massage them with any questions you
                      have...

--
                      Alan

• 8. Re: Social Networking Site
                        Driven Republic Level 1
                        quote:

Originally posted by: tuezday14

Hi,

I just purchased Dreamweaver CS4.I am new to this. I bought the book and My friend and I are going to do this together.

I would like to know what software I need to set up a social networking site with a twist in that it will be a business networking site.It will be free to members ,it will have a calendar with available dates,basic information,ID#,About Me section,areas of town they are willing to work at,Private Message area,A player,an album area and other areas, as well as placing different wallpaper HTML codes just like Myspace. I would like to add every single business that deals in this particular area( I don't want to disclose what it is @ this point) in the United States ,so this is big project.This is for business only.I would like the site supported by Ads.and with that in mind ,does anyone know how I can accomplish this? I have heard allot about Google Adsence,I would like my site to be right @ the top of Google or any search engine when someone does a search on my particular website.

Thanks in advance

Sorry but I cannot help but comment.
                        Your post or question remind me of a story.

I use to live in a building with wide, huge glass walls, it was a beautiful design but very unpractical.
                        People usually walk and hit the glass with their body not even knowing the glass was there. Luckily no one got hurt, just few bumps and bruises.

I have been working with Dreamweaver for years and I know a little bit to make a decent website but I have so much more to learn.

Like David Powers stated, "There are no web building software for dummies but there are lots of dummies thinking they can create websites."

Am I saying you cannot do it? NO! Can you do it? Yes!

Put on the coffee, make that twelve pots, your girlfriend will break up with you, or your wife will threaten a divorce.
                        It is not an easy task. Or you can pay someone who can make life easy for you!

Are you ready?

Patrick
                        • 9. Re: Social Networking Site
                          joeq Level 1
                          it's actually quite simple... just go to COMMANDS > CONVERT TO FACEBOOK.

quote:

Originally posted by: tuezday14

Hi,

Thanks in advance

• 10. Re: Social Networking Site
                            Thanks for your reply; I have been brainstorming for over two weeks on web designs. What people like, what they do not like, what do they want, what do I want, what is possible what is not, why do I have a web sight to start with? The questions I just mentioned and the one I posted is just a very few of the thousand I have ask myself. My post wasn’t a hey that’s neat I want to do that. If I had felt that way I would have just did what I ask with SharePoint. I learn by reading and asking questions, but Adobe is overwhelming.
                            • 11. Re: Social Networking Site
                              tuezday14 Level 1

To all who replyed.

I have read all your posts and I thank you from the bottom of my "Intel Inside Heart".... I don't have much experience in CSS,HTML..but I am willing to learn.My friend and I are going to work on this project together.I think what I will do is start small and then add more cities as I go along. I am thinking of putting basic info for now so as not to make it so complicated as I certainly do not have $120,000 to invest.As far as servers go I intend on starting small ,my husband is a Network Administrator so he can take care of all the Protocals,Security issuses....I know that I will need more than just Dreamweaver to accomplish my goals, that is why I posed my question on the board. As for the coffee bring it on..I am meeting with my friend on Friday to have our initial meeting and brainstorm on the specifics.I am ready for the late weekends and all the coffee Foldgers has to offer..good thing I have an understanding husband.not to mention his Computer Geekiness..LOL

Thanks so much from San Antonio,Texas!
                              • 12. Re: Social Networking Site
                                tuezday14 Level 1
                                Yes I am.....
                                • 13. Re: Social Networking Site
                                  Level 7
                                  You might look at some Social Networking software packages. They probably
                                  have most of the features you're looking for already and then you can
                                  customize it to suit your needs. Check out:

http://www.dzoic.com/features.php
                                  http://www.handshakesdemo.com/
                                  http://www.phpfox.com/konsort/features/

tuezday14 wrote:
                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > I just purchased Dreamweaver CS4.I am new to this. I bought the book
                                  > and My friend and I are going to do this together.
                                  >
                                  > I would like to know what software I need to set up a social
                                  > networking site with a twist in that it will be a business networking
                                  > site.It will be free to members ,it will have a calendar with
                                  > available dates,basic information,ID#,About Me section,areas of town
                                  > they are willing to work at,Private Message area,A player,an album
                                  > area and other areas, as well as placing different wallpaper HTML
                                  > codes just like Myspace. I would like to add every single business
                                  > that deals in this particular area( I don't want to disclose what it
                                  > is @ this point) in the United States ,so this is big project.This is
                                  > for business only.I would like the site supported by Ads.and with
                                  > that in mind ,does anyone know how I can accomplish this? I have
                                  > heard allot about Google Adsence,I would like my site to be right @
                                  > the top of Google or any search engine when someone does a search on
                                  > my particular website.
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > Thanks in advance

• 14. Re: Social Networking Site
                                    Level 7
                                    as a suggestion- If this is a niche market that is not currently being
                                    served by a similar web site-

possibles that don't involve a lot of front-end cash outlay-

make and promote a facebook or myspace or livejournal community for it. Use
                                    their resources to get momentum. Who would have any idea who Tila Tequila is
                                    if not for that nonsense....

If it's something that you need to hit the ground running on- don't count on
                                    learning html/css/php/mysql in two months to get this working. Find a local
                                    web site programmer [get them vetted- many people say they can build a
                                    site....] and pitch the idea to them. Heck- offer them 50% or more of the
                                    site comany's assets. Frankly- what YOU have is an idea. It's only a
                                    potential right now. A sketch on a restaurant napkin. The right batch of
                                    people can make it happen.

--
                                    Alan

• 15. Re: Social Networking Site
                                      Level 7
                                      another thought- if you are hesitant to discuss this "idea" with anyone
                                      because they might take it and run leaving you with nothing- see a lawyer
                                      and have them draw up a NDA and non-compete agreement that covers the
                                      specific parts of this niche that could be possibly enforceable. Then get it
                                      signed before giving the RFP specs or discussing a joint venture.

In short- If it's a good idea, it sounds like you don't have the resources
                                      to exploit the market opening by yourselves right now. Bring in some outside
                                      help even if you have to give away most of the profits.

--
                                      Alan

• 16. Re: Social Networking Site
                                        tuezday14 Level 1
                                        Alan,

Thanks so much for the advice.As per not mentioning my Idea,you are right.I have to be careful as I don't want anyone with more resources and know how than I do to take off running with it and leave me penniless.

We are meeting @ Starbucks Friday afternoon with our laptops and all the Wi-Fi in tow and get to work. You are correct in that it would take the right batch of people to make this happen.I am going to give a very knowledgeable and experienced local web-page designer a call tomorrow and see if he would be willing to meet with us ,I don't mind sharing the wealth with people that would be an asset in this endeavor. I am not sure how Myspace got started but I know that it took alote of perserverance and dedication to make it a sucsess.

Thanks Again
                                        • 17. Re: Social Networking Site
                                          Level 7

"tuezday14" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                          news:gfdmh9$21$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> I would like to know what software I need to set up a social networking
                                          > site
                                          > with a twist in that it will be a business networking site.It will be free
                                          > to
                                          > members ,it will have a calendar with available dates,basic
                                          > information,ID#,About Me section,areas of town they are willing to work
                                          > at,Private Message area,A player,an album area and other areas, as well as
                                          > placing different wallpaper HTML codes just like Myspace.

Have you really thought about whether this is needed, whether anybody will
                                          use it? Honestly, I seriously doubt the world will beat a path to your door.
                                          Facebook and MySpace serve this purpose (for business, for specific
                                          geographical areas) just fine already.

--
                                          Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                                          Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                          Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                          --

• 18. Re: Social Networking Site
                                            Paevo Kelley Level 2
                                            "Honestly, I seriously doubt the world will beat a path to your door. "

Are you kidding!? They're going to have a MASSAGE board, for God's sake!
                                            • 19. Re: Social Networking Site
                                              tuezday14 Level 1
                                              Hi,

I am not sure how to take your comment as it was not very helpful to me,in fact I felt it was very disrespectful.This is a very seriouse issue for me and as a novice I was hoping to gain some information as well as some insight from people who are knowledgable in this area.

My page would have some of the Myspace interface features but not to that extent as it would have a Database feel.As I said this would be a very simple business website.The goal would be to create a network of people who have the same goal. I have not seen one like this before.This would be geared to a specific audience,so it is not meant for the entire world and I certainly don't expect just any ole joe to come knocking on my door.

Thanks to all that have helped me with this,I really appreciate it.
                                              • 20. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                bregent Most Valuable Participant
                                                >The goal would be to create a network of people who have the same goal. I have not seen one like this before.

Don't worry too much about the naysayers. I understand why they are skeptical since very often these things turn out to be failures. But if you feel strongly about it then you should pursue it - sometimes the little niche ideas turn into bigger things. But I do think you are going about this wrong. Purchasing CS4 and a book isn't going to get you far down the path. What you should be asking about is the skills you need to acquire/hire to make this thing work. A brief list includes skills in:

(X)HTML
                                                CSS
                                                Graphic Design
                                                Database architecture
                                                SQL
                                                Web programming languages
                                                User Interface Design
                                                Internet Security

If you plan on building this yourself (which I assume is why you purchased DW) then don't even start until you have mastered much of the above. Of course this will take many years unless you hire out all or part of the job.
                                                • 21. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                  tuezday14 Level 1
                                                  Hi,

Thanks for your help. Actually these issues ( see below ) were addressed in the prior posts.I realize that I will need more than DW.I am going to do some networking this weekend,pull in some of my resources (Network Admin,Programmers etc..) I know a few people that specialize in these areas,they have full time jobs.I would have to meet with them,present my website and hope for the best.I guess I could barter with them.There is definatly a need for a website such as what I have in mind and thousands would benefit greatly from this service and of course it would be Ad supported......now comes the hard part.,but you have to start somewhere ...

"Starting Small ,Thinking Big"
                                                  Tuezday

(X)HTML
                                                  CSS
                                                  Graphic Design
                                                  Database architecture
                                                  SQL
                                                  Web programming languages
                                                  User Interface Design
                                                  Internet Security

• 22. Social Networking Site
                                                    Level 1
                                                    tuezday14,

I agree with some Dw participants who offered very good information and advice.

May I chime in and offer some other insights... while you had expressed some interests in building social networking site, where it presents some significant challenges, obstacles and liability issue. When I use the term "liability", you could be held accountable in the event of lawsuit - should something breach of security or something had gone bad, you'd be dragged into court.

Next to liability issue, you want to owe yourself a big favor. It is important to have business plan for any new business. You'd rather want to fail business plan than failing a business - that is worst part of losing the business in lifetime.

You might not realize many other factors and parameters and many others... And, most importantly, you also want to buy a insurance policy to protect yourself and so-called new social networking site...

If you pursuit further, you'll have to give up lot of time to make this work. But I can tell you, it is going to be lot of work involved...

Good luck!
                                                    • 23. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                      JoeDaSilva Level 4
                                                      To what degree have your researched your market? www.ryze.com sounds pretty similar to your idea. You get a "homepage" ala myspace there. Granted I don't think you can do custom HTML like myspace, but they have 500,000 members in 200 countries already.

• 24. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                        tuezday14 Level 1
                                                        Hi,

Thanks for your input, I have done my research and this is not , I repeat this is not a Social Networking Site,it will have some components but not to the degree that Myspace has in that this strickly for business only.I am meeting with some local computer gurus who are very knowledgable.I am aware of the factors and parameters.This is a very basic DATABASE site, trust me,it is so simple that even my coworkers have told me "Gee why didn't I think of that" really very simple...nothing like MYSPACE.... My coworkers and I are willing to pay Rackspace to handle the networking portion of it (servers,security etc..) so I am not worried about it....if you all only knew how simple this is...you would laugh....

Thanks
                                                        • 25. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                          tuezday14 Level 1
                                                          Hi,

Thanks for your input, I have done my research and this is not , I repeat this is not a Social Networking Site,it will have some components but not to the degree that Myspace has in that this strickly for business only.I am meeting with some local computer gurus who are very knowledgable.I am aware of the factors and parameters.This is a very basic DATABASE site, trust me,it is so simple that even my coworkers have told me "Gee why didn't I think of that" really very simple...nothing like MYSPACE.... My coworkers and I are willing to pay Rackspace to handle the networking portion of it (servers,security etc..) so I am not worried about it....if you all only knew how simple this is...you would laugh....

Thanks
                                                          • 26. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                            Level 7
                                                            tuezday14 wrote:
                                                            > Hi,
                                                            >
                                                            > Thanks for your input, I have done my research and this is not , I repeat this
                                                            > is not a Social Networking Site,it will have some components but not to the
                                                            > degree that Myspace has in that this strickly for business only.I am meeting
                                                            > with some local computer gurus who are very knowledgable.I am aware of the
                                                            > factors and parameters.This is a very basic DATABASE site, trust me,it is so
                                                            > simple that even my coworkers have told me "Gee why didn't I think of that"
                                                            > really very simple...nothing like MYSPACE.... My coworkers and I are willing to
                                                            > pay Rackspace to handle the networking portion of it (servers,security etc..)
                                                            > so I am not worried about it....if you all only knew how simple this is...you
                                                            > would laugh....
                                                            >
                                                            > Thanks

Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product. Please make sure you
                                                            come back and let us see it.

Dooza

--
                                                            Posting Guidelines
                                                            http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
                                                            How To Ask Smart Questions
                                                            http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
                                                            • 27. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                              tuezday14 Level 1
                                                              It will take a while but I am confident...Thanks so much and I will keep you updated....

• 28. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                Level 7

news:gfiljq$s2b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                > Hi,
                                                                >
                                                                > I am not sure how to take your comment as it was not very helpful to me,in
                                                                > fact I felt it was very disrespectful.This is a very seriouse issue for me
                                                                > and
                                                                > as a novice I was hoping to gain some information as well as some insight
                                                                > from
                                                                > people who are knowledgable in this area.

Well, that's what I was offering, was some insight from someone who is
                                                                knowledgable in this area. There was no disrespect in my post, just my
                                                                viewpoint expressed honestly.

--
                                                                --

• 29. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                  Level 7

"Paevo Kelley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                                  news:gfhgin$9j3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                  > "Honestly, I seriously doubt the world will beat a path to your door. "
                                                                  >
                                                                  > Are you kidding!? They're going to have a MASSAGE board, for God's sake!

ROFL.. :-D

--
                                                                  --

• 30. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                    tuezday14 Level 1
                                                                    There is nothing wrong with expressing your views in an honest manor provided that you adhere to the Netiquette rules.Your response had a sarcastic tone which was not appreciated...

Nough Said
                                                                    • 31. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                      JoeDaSilva Level 4
                                                                      I wouldn't worry about Patty Tuesday, she's more of a hobbyist than a web professional.

A good approach would be to break a project of this size down into smaller parts (if possible). Figure out the bare minimum to launch with, develop it, and then open a beta site. That way you can work at promoting the site while you continue the development and not get overwhelmed.

Here's some inspiration:
                                                                      http://blogoscoped.com/files/yahoo-1996-large.png
                                                                      • 32. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                        tuezday14 Level 1
                                                                        Thanks so much for your input.

I went to the link you provided for inspiration but it seems to be a broken link....I sent you a message to your homepage..

Thanks
                                                                        • 33. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                          Level 7

news:gfl91h$gvv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                                          > There is nothing wrong with expressing your views in an honest manor
                                                                          > provided that you adhere to the Netiquette rules.Your response had a
                                                                          > sarcastic tone which was not appreciated...

There was no sarcasm at all in my post. I meant what I wrote in a completely
                                                                          straightforward way. And I stand by it. I definitely didn't intend to hurt
                                                                          your feelings, though, and I'm sorry if I did.

--
                                                                          --

• 34. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                            Level 7

"JoeyD1978" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                                                            news:gflbr8$kao$1@forums.macromedia.com...

>I wouldn't worry about Patty Tuesday, she's more of a hobbyist than a web
                                                                            > professional.

Come on, Joey. We had a disagreement over something a while back, but do you
                                                                            really need to keep attacking me publicly with silly statements like that?
                                                                            Does that make you look like a professional?

--
                                                                            --

• 35. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                              Stuart Smitheringale Level 1
                                                                              Good luck tuezday.

It's going to take a very long time to develop, but if you persevere you might just succeed.

Have a look at this website http://www.motorhomemates.co.uk

Great idea huh? A social networking site for fans of motor homes in the UK?

Well this site is not doing so well.

Yet there are plenty of sites that are clumsy, ugly and stupid with thousands of active members.

My tip to you is this - without authority I might add, as I am not doing what you are doing - spend time getting the business model just right.

Who is this for?
                                                                              Who will use it?
                                                                              Why will they use it?
                                                                              Is this really needed?
                                                                              Who are your competitors and how can you do it better than them or different to them?

I'm willing to bet that you have a LOT of competitors out there. There are national directories, local breakfast business clubs etc. Find out who they are and what hey are doing.

You might be better off spending your time developing a winning business model. Then go out there and seek funding and find somebody to partner with. Could your website complement one of your competitors?

Social networking sites ae risky (i would imagine) because it's very easy to see how successful they are from the numbers of members and numbers of active threads/pages/posts/whatever.

They have a certain gravity, once you attract a certain quorum of people then they in turn attract more people and more people.

Why would a business or businessman sign up to your website? If your website is NOT for the general public, then you are NOT going to attract businesses that sell to those markets. You might be better looking at b2b businesses.

It sounds like what you're wanting to create is a business directory site. Do you really need all the hassle and crap of a social networking site?????
                                                                              • 36. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                @tuezday14,

Well, I take that you are not taking many good advice or suggestions, and many are valid inputs at no cost right here at the forum.

I wish you tons of good luck and best of success in your so-called social networking site. I can tell you, it won't be easy to set up and maintaining the site.

Good luck!

me - step aside from this sand box.
                                                                                • 37. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                                  Level 7
                                                                                  JoeyD1978 wrote:
                                                                                  > I wouldn't worry about Patty Tuesday, she's more of a hobbyist than a web
                                                                                  > professional.

Yet another attack from Joey, your starting to sound like a troll.

Dooza
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                                    tuezday14 Level 1
                                                                                    when did I say that I wasn't taking anyone's advice? You can't speak for me. I have been listening and reading everyones posts . I guess what I should have said was that I needed help building a Database not a social network..there is that better? I have been busy talking to webmasters,network administrators,Rackspace etc,...so don't kid yourself I have been busy...it is time to take down my post I have recieved good advice and have taken everything into consideration..

good day
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Social Networking Site
                                                                                      tuezday14 Level 1
                                                                                      Let me clarify a few things.I am a very intellectual,well informed individual.All the questions you have posed I have already researched. This not meant to be a social networking site,it will have a "social" feel to it but not like Myspace....this is a DATABASE and nothing else......and no I have never seen anything like it,there is nothing like it outthere and this DATABASE is geared for a very specific group.....It is very simple .

Thanks for your input