1 2 3 Previous Next 97 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2010 5:39 AM by sunlit777

Premiere CS4 audio import.

Hi guys,
      any tip or news concerning mpeg import with blank audio in timeline?
      Just wait for 4.0.2?
      Many thanks in advance.

Giorgio
        • 2. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
          Level 1
          I've filmed with my HDR-SR12 Sony cam.
          I can see and hear my clips with Media Player or other softwares but,
          If I import them in PPCS4 I have a blank audio strip in timeline.
          I can see and edit the video but not the audio.
          Clips are in mpeg format, standard mode, 4:3 picture.
          Thanks Harm.

Giorgio
          • 3. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
            Level 1
            Sorry, the reply was incomplete.
            This happened after 4.0.1 patch.
            With 4.0.0 version I did it.

Ciao
            • 4. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Not familiar with the camera, but could it be that audio is recorded in AC3 format? If so do a search for AC3 and audio problems and you will find lots of posts. If it is AC3 audio, and the solutions that worked up to CS3 do not work for CS4, you can always convert the audio externally to WAV format.
              • 5. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                Level 1
                How can I know which kind of audio does my .MPG video-clip keep into?
                Is there any software?
                I've seen there are problems with .ac3 now.
                CS3 or CS4 have the same problem with this cam.
                I thought CS4 could have fixed this problem (I read CS4 advertisements)
                Curiuos is that I had no problem with PP 4.0.0, but only after the patch 4.0.1 was applied.
                Unfortunately this patch allows me in working with Surcode Dolby Sorround.
                Thanks again Harm.

Giorgio
                • 6. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                  Level 1
                  Premiere just says me this is (or these are)
                  25fps,
                  48.000 Hz uncompressed stereo,
                  720x576(1094) clips.

No other info about audio than 48KHz uncompressed stereo.
                  Extension of the clips are .MPG
                  QuickTime also does not recognise the clip, like PP.
                  • 7. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    > How can I know which kind of audio does my .MPG video-clip keep into?

It is in the camera manual in the technical specs.

> Unfortunately this patch allows me in working with Surcode Dolby Sorround.

Why it this unfortunate? Does it not solve your problem? Did you try to copy some AC3????.DLL (I can't remember the exact name, you have to search the forum for the name) file to solve the issue? Alternatively use an external converter to change the audio to WAV. Use Google and you will find numerous options, like Switch Sound and the like.
                    • 8. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      OK. your audio should not be a problem, did you allow sufficient time for the conforming to take place?
                      • 9. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                        Level 1
                        I think audio could be a problem.
                        Technical specifications tell about a Dolby sorround audio when record with 5.1
                        or "dolby 2ch" when record in 2ch mode.
                        Not mentions about file extension.
                        I've recorded in both ways without success (for audio).
                        Tech. spec. speak also about a MPG2 file when recorded in standard mode: I did it.
                        I give all the time my sweet Premiere needs to conform the file.
                        It takes less than half a second with a 15 second clip.
                        I'll surf again to read specifications that my manual doesn't give me.
                        No words to say "grazie" for the moment.
                        • 10. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                          Level 1
                          Anyway, one of the main questions is:

why did PP work correctly with the same audio before 4.0.1 patch?
                          • 11. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Giorgio,

IIRC, one of the patches for CS4 was to address an issue with PP not working with the SurCode plug-in. Whatever that issue between initial release and the patches, has been documented in this forum. Going back to the release of CS4, there were several threads/replies directly from Adobe personnel, on what was not working, out of the box, and what was done/being done, to rectify those issues. You might want to look back at some of those threads.

As the patches did address some aspects of 5.1 Audio, it is likely that these did change some things. Why it worked for you in 4.0.0, but not AFTER the patches is a mystery. I would have assumed that it would be just the opposite.

Good luck,

Hunt
                            • 12. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                              joshtownsend Level 2
                              I'll sympathize with you a little. There's still a ton of things that 'worked' in CS3 that don't work now. The software was rushed and could/should be a lot better than it is.

I don't care if adobe can import surround sound recorded by one mic on a cheap camera. That something only consumers would use. Now instead of spending time making the software work faster and better for professionals and prosumers, Adobe programmers have to tweak there camera to support every new cheap *** codec that comes out every 3 months.
                              • 13. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                Good point, Josh.
                                • 14. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                  Level 1
                                  Bill,
                                  first thanks, then:
                                  probably, as mystery, you mean that PP do not encode Dolby.
                                  No, PP does, now!
                                  The problem I have is in import manage.
                                  .wav and other kind of audio are imported and editable.
                                  But if I add the .MPG (this is the extension), after conforming procedure (line bottom/wright), I can't hear the audio.
                                  Clip is displayed as Video+Audio (film+speaker icon), but I can edit video only: audio strip is blank.
                                  Same problem I have in Encore and After Effects, everytime after the 4.0.1 patch.
                                  Before I wrote this post I spent time in searching but without any exhaustive answer.
                                  I see Josh bit "tired" about Premiere but I just wanna know if this problem or bug is known by every customer or not.
                                  I can uninstall everything O.S. included, if audio is working properly with the most of you.
                                  • 15. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                    Sorry man I don't edit MPEG that often. I did have a buddy a few weeks ago who gave me an Mpeg-1 to get onto DVD and all I got was sound and no Video! So go figure.
                                    • 16. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                      I am experiencing the same thing.
                                      Have a mpeg2 with ac3 ript from a dvd i made a while ago with Encore 1.5. Played fine (audio and video in Pro and Encore). After the updates audio disappeared in both programs.
                                      • 17. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                        (eddierunner)
                                        I'm having the same problem with video off a panasonic hdd camera. The file is an mpeg2 with ac3 (dolby stereo) audio. Video is fine but the audio is blank.
                                        • 18. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          eddierunner,

There are a lot of threads on Importing AC3 DD into PP. I am not on CS4, and the exact necessary .ddl changes per version, but you should be able to get close from the previous threads. It amounts to copying the AC3 .ddl from Encore to PP. Somehow, I assumed that this had been done for CS4, and the copying was no longer necessary, but maybe I am wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                          • 19. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                            Level 1
                                            Bill,
                                            this is the work-around for CS3 suite.
                                            It doesn't work on CS4.
                                            I console myself in hearing I'm not the only one.
                                            What can I say?
                                            Adobe, please: wake up!!!!!
                                            Many customers have spent money and just ask you to make it reliable.
                                            Don't think it should be too much.
                                            • 20. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              Reliable is good. Reliable with pro media should probably be the focus, though. There are plenty of consumer apps for consumer media.
                                              • 21. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                Im having the same problem importing CS3 audio, no sound inside the track, tried sound booth and the same thing. Im on a MAC, and the videos are from a third party, not sure what is the source.
                                                • 22. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                  Giorgio,
                                                  I've got the same Sony HDR-SR12 camera just upgraded PP 1.5 to CS4 and I've got the same exact problem. Tried the CS3 fix of copying the ad2ac3dec.dll from CS4 Encore over to PP. No change. MPEG with .ac3 has been around for awhile and CS4 isn't advertised as a pro app only program so shouldn't matter if pro, pro-sumer or consumer media is used, still should be able to handle mpeg format. Anybody come up with a fix yet?
                                                  • 23. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                    (eddierunner) Level 1
                                                    I've been converting my problem video to DV-AVI in windows movie maker before I import into PP CS4. A pain but the easiest work around i could find.
                                                    • 24. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                      For now, you need to process the MPEG-2 files with a demuxer, which will split the video and audio into separate files. Import both into Premiere and edit away. I used the TPMGenc available around the web with a free trial period. Launch the ap, go to File/MPEG Tools and chose Simple De-Multiplex. Choose your source file, target file names, etc. Source will be preserved. Hope this helps.
                                                      • 25. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                        Level 1
                                                        yes, guys:
                                                        we had just to wait and hope.
                                                        For the moment, TMPGEnc or any other demuxer tool is the only way-out.
                                                        It's a pity, tens of hours wasted and, for now, "no light at the end of the tunnel"

Giorgio
                                                        • 26. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Steve,
                                                          copy and paste the .dll file just work on CS3, not on the fourth suite.
                                                          Just wait for 4.0.2 update or demux.

Ciao
                                                          • 27. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                            I'm having the same problem. .mpg audio worked in 4.0.0, but it's not working in 4.0.1. Remind me to never, ever update software that is currently working.
                                                            • 28. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                              i have the exact problem with you guys..
                                                              the only reason i updated to 4.0.1 is encoding problem with the 4.0.0
                                                              before patched, my project can shows audio and hear it, but after update to 4.0.1 the audio gain lost in the time line.. WTF
                                                              i think i'll consider to CS3 or old Pro1.5.1 rather than buggy CS4
                                                              • 29. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                install pp without update in another hd (different os) and import the video, do the rendering and save the project.
                                                                go back to ypur pp updated and open the project saved with th pp not updated... you0ll have the audio and you'll work on your hdr.sr12e images with the cs4 premiere updated... easy not?
                                                                i'm doing this and until the 4.0.2 i think is the only solution... i don't wantr to work with othe software and loose hours..!!!
                                                                ciao Giorgio.
                                                                spero di esserti stato di aiuto!

stefano
                                                                • 30. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  sorry for the mistakes in typing... i was in hurry!!!
                                                                  • 31. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                    I have a Sony HDR S11, and Premiere PRO CS4 will NOT import the audio (it's blank) for either 5.1 or 2 channel sound from SD/DV video (4:3).

It does however import video and audio perfectly in AVCHD.

The easiest work around I use is to use Windows Media Maker (VISTA) and import the SD video (the audio will work normally) and then export the video in DV-AVI export. Then I take that new file and import it into Premiere Pro. I didn't notice any diminished quality. If so, you could just use the video from the original version and the audio from the Windows Movie Maker version.

That SD audio was shot in 5.1 and Windows Movie Maker which is FREE, imported correctly. Premiere Pro, which is $800 DID NOT!!! Hello?? Adobe??

Hope this helps...

Robert
                                                                    • 32. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                      Near as I can tell, that camera doesn't shoot DV. The SD is MPEG2, which Premiere does often have issues with.

>That SD audio was shot in 5.1 and Windows Movie Maker which is FREE, imported correctly. Premiere Pro, which is $800 DID NOT!!! Hello?? Adobe??

You're pairing a consumer camera with a professional NLE. There's a lot of pro equipment out there that won't handle consumer level stuff. Adobe is not so off about this.
                                                                      • 33. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                        Giorgio1957 Level 3

Dear Jim,

just becouse of Adobe is a pro software, it should read most of audio and video codecs of big video factories as Sony, Panasonic etc.

Remember that PP 4.0.0 did it.

Now there are no excuses relating an "unreadable" audio file.

Just a bug happened and I think it's better to fix it.

Cheers to all

• 34. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.

My problem is the about the same, but more ironic... I have a huge project, 6 hours of footage with three cameras. Totally around 18 hours of HDV material. All this is being corrected, synced and cut and will result in a 8.5 DVD. For each "chapter" ready, I export from PP CS4. For simplicity when combining the final product, I export as muxed MPEG2-DVD, Pal widescreen progressive high quality, PCM audio. Now, when I begin to assemble the final video after almost a hundred hours of rendering, the audio is lost. PP CS4 can't read the PCM audio it created itself. (Although other apps can.)

Rerendering for another hundred hours is out of the question, the deadline is coming up. This sucks.

• 35. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                                            For simplicity when combining the final product, I export as muxed MPEG2-DVD, Pal widescreen progressive high quality, PCM audio.

OE seems to come into play here. Why muxed? Was the source progressive? If not, why destroy quality? Why PCM, why not AC3?

Your desired simplicity could well cause your problems.

• 36. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                              Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

OE seems to come into play here. Why muxed? Was the source progressive? If not, why destroy quality? Why PCM, why not AC3?

Your desired simplicity could well cause your problems.

OE? Sorry, I am from Sweden, I don't know that abbreviation.

Muxed because it's easier to keep track of 25 files than 50, and also that once the audio has been sync'ed from three cameras it is nice that it stays that way. No chance of slipping and misaligning once it is muxed. Besides, DVD rendering should be a lot faster if it is pre-muxed.

Progressive or not doesn't affect the sound, does it? Either way, when downsampling from HDV to SD, I prefer the results of deinterlaced, progressive video.

When exporting MPEG2-DVD you can select three types of audio: Dolby Digital, Mpeg Audio and PCM. PCM is the default. Of the three, only Mpeg Audio is read back in when you open the exported clip.

Isn't focus being shifted from the bugs in the software to my workflow, by the way? Any particular reason for that?

• 37. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Isn't focus being shifted from the bugs in the software to my workflow, by the way? Any particular reason for that?

We are end users like yourself. There is nothing we can do about bugs, but we can recommend more efficient workflows. I'm sorry if that is not good enough for you, but it's all we have. Please don't "bite the hand that feeds you".

Cheers
                                                                                Eddie

• 38. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Uffe_Z wrote:

No chance of slipping and misaligning once it is muxed. Besides, DVD rendering should be a lot faster if it is pre-muxed.

That's actually incorrect.  Encore will have to demux the audio on import, then remux it when the project is built.  You increase your chances of losing sync by using muxed .mpg files.

For DVD authoring using Encore or any other authoring application, elementary streams is the preferred and most efficient workflow.

-Jeff

• 39. Re: Premiere CS4 audio import.
                                                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

OE = Operator Error.

Muxing in not the preferred way for Encore. Elementary streams are the preferred way. PCM takes way more space than AC3, thus reducing your video quality, that has already taken a heavy hit by converting interlaced material to progressive (around 50% quality loss in resolution). If you want DVD output and are not familiar with MPEG2DVD settings, it may be better to export as DV AVI and let Encore do the encoding.

1 2 3 Previous Next