3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2009 9:15 AM by Harm Millaard

PPCS4 folder storage

Hi,
      I have 2 internal HD SATA in my pc.
      I've read tons of posts but, honestly, I've not understood if it's better to keep PPCS4 data folders in the main HD (were the softwares and XPPro op. system is) or we can put all the archive folders in other HDs.
      Usually I store O.S. and programs in the first one, then data, movies, audio, Media Caches, etc in the other one.
      There is lot of opinions 'bout it.
      May I do so again with CS4 or there are crashing/error possibilities?
      Thank, thanks

Giorgio
        • 1. Re: PPCS4 folder storage
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          > Usually I store O.S. and programs in the first one, then data, movies, audio, Media Caches, etc in the other one.

With only 2 disks this is a correct approach. You would gain from adding at least a third disk for projects/scratch and page file, using the first 2 for OS/programs and media respectively.

Crashing has other causes than this disk setup you are currently using. Often crashes are caused by resident processes, like anti-virus, iTunes, and other applications from companies like Nero, Roxio, SoundBlaster and the like, especially if you have all the bloated software installed. And possibly
          b the major cause of crashes is installed codec packs.
          Finally driver conflicts are another regular cause. If you keep your machine mean and lean, chances of crashes are minor.
          • 2. Re: PPCS4 folder storage
            Level 1
            I got Nero 9 and K-lite codec pack release 4.
            To Kaspersky 2009 I've "ordered" to consider everything from Adobe, "reliable", so, no restrictions.
            Uninstalled K-lite codec pack (read on the forum it "fights" sometimes with Adobe) and installed XP-Codec-Pack-2.4.6
            No crashes in this few days trials.
            Have you any suggestion concerning the codec I had to install in my xppro to make me see my own DVDs on the pc?
            Thanks for the "other support" you're giving me now, also.

Giorgio
            • 3. Re: PPCS4 folder storage
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              People often make life so difficult for themselves. They install all kind of software packages, codecs, etc. and are still surprised that system stability deteriorates.

Ripping (non-protected) DVD's is simple. Just copy the VOB files to your hard disk, rename them to MPG (even that step is not always necessary), demux them using a utility easily found on the web (Google is great for finding those) and if needed convert the AC3 sound to WAV.