12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 8:05 AM by the_wine_snob

avi in premiere pro

Hi, I got a problem with .avi footage from my camcorder. When preview them in premiere pro, audio part plays normal while video part does not play at all. I installed the K-lite full codec in my computer but it did not help. Anyone here have a solution? Thanks in advance for your help
        • 1. Re: avi in premiere pro
          joshtownsend Level 2
          It never stops...........

they just keep coming.......

Why do people think downloading a codec pack that lets you watch downloaded movies would help at al?.

It's like it's ingrained in people to think that because you need a ton of codecs to watch movies that somehow translates into being able to edit them?
          • 2. Re: avi in premiere pro
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
            >Why do people think downloading a codec pack that lets you watch downloaded movies would help at all?

Professionals who invest money and time into packages like the CS4 Production Premium suite or Final Cut Studio don't think that.

Draw your own conclusions about the segment of the population that does think that way.
            • 3. Re: avi in premiere pro
              Level 1
              The files can be played by windows media player correctly. so, it is a premiere pro's problem? I am a newbie on Premiere, could you tell me how to fix the problem. Thanks a lot
              • 4. Re: avi in premiere pro
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Many files can easily be played that aren't also easily edited. The two tasks are very different.
                • 5. Re: avi in premiere pro
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Deuce,

Download and install G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot). Drag one of your offending AVI files into it. This little program will tell you two things:

1.) the CODEC's that the file was created with
                  2.) whether you have the necessary CODEC's installed on your system

Even if you do have the proper CODEC's, these might not function in PP. If you have something like DivX, or Xvid for the CODEC, you will likely have to convert the file to DV-AVI Type II, for it to function well in PP. There are tons of file converters available. I like DigitalMedia Converter (Deskshare), which works with the CODEC's that are installed on the system. It ouptuts to DV-AVI Type II well.

Good luck,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: avi in premiere pro
                    Level 1
                    Thanks a lot, Bill,
                    My avi files' video codec is: XVID, name is: XviD ISO MPEG-4 and the codec has been installed. It seems I have to convert them. I was told that DV-AVI files are huge, so that may be troublesome too. I will try it anyway. Thanks for your kind help. I really appreciate it.
                    • 7. Re: avi in premiere pro
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      What camcorder did you use and how did you capture?

Anyway, you need to convert the current material to DV AVI type2 for reliable and comfortable editing. Also get rid of K-Lite and any other codec pack you may have installed. It may be best to do a complete reformat of your system disk and a reinstall of Windows and all software. Just one of the advantages of installing codec packs.
                      • 8. Re: avi in premiere pro
                        Level 1
                        I am using VIO POV1, a helmet camcorder, below is their FAQ page where footage file information can be found.
                        http://www.vio-pov.com/faq.php#sw10

so, premiere does not like codec. I do need them to watch movies, listen to musics, etc. though. You guys all have a "codec free" computer to run premiere?

Thanks for your advices!
                        • 9. Re: avi in premiere pro
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          > I do need them to watch movies, listen to musics, etc.

So what do you need PR for?
                          • 10. Re: avi in premiere pro
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >You guys all have a "codec free" computer to run premiere?

Pretty much, yeah. I use my personal computer for playing, and use my editing computer only for editing.
                            • 11. Re: avi in premiere pro
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              Fire up Gspot and see how many codecs you have installed.
                              • 12. Re: avi in premiere pro
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Deuce,

Yes, most of us only install specific CODEC's that are needed, when needed. I also purchase many, rather than looking to freeware versions, as some are hacked/reverse-engineered monstrosities that do not play well with anything else.

As for you Xvid material. I've had good luck converting these (and many others) to DV-AVI Type II, as Harm suggests. There are dozens of conversion programs avaiable. I use DigitalMedia Converter, which is shareware (Deskshare), but they have a free trial. Now, it does not come with its own CODEC's (good in my book), so you WILL need the Xvid CODEC installed.

You will also have taken a quality hit, as Xvid is highly compressed. When you convert, your file size will grow - man, it will grow. Do not be alarmed. It's just that now you have each frame rendered in your file. If you go to DVD, for instance, you will compress your footage even more. Do not anticipate really high quality footage - it just will not happen and there's nothing that you can do about it. Once a high-compression CODEC has been applied, you can never get that quality back. Plan for whatever quality you end up with - make that part of the "look" of your movie.

Good luck,

Hunt