12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 3:59 PM by (Bodoin)

CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!

Level 1
      Hi there!

I am trying to upgrade my dual cpu for a intelquad.

My concern is about wich one to chose. I am doing HD video editing with 1080p footage, I am goind through AVCHD with a Panasonic HMC150 and sometime DVCPRO HD.

My mobo is a p5k-e and my memory 1gx4 OCZ pc2-6400 ddr2 800. I was between the q6600 and q8200, because of the price. But, are they good or i am better to upgrade for a 9300 or higher? By the way my socket is a lga775.

ThX A LOT
        • 1. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Whatever you can afford. It probably is outside of your budget but a new mobo with two quad cores would be better for AVCHD.
          • 2. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
            Level 1
            Lol i know better upgrading to macpro with xeon cores...but you know...im human
            • 3. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
              Keith_Andrews Level 1
              I upgraded my system in October of 2008 and chose the Q6600 simply because of the amount of online support it has. Plus, it has a great price to performance point and overclocks extremely well. I have OC'd mine to 3.0GHz with no problems what so ever, and that isn't even pushing it.

I also have an ASUS P5Q MoBo, 4GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 RAM and two 10k Raptors in RAID 0. I can edit AVCHD shot at 17Mbps in realtime with no problems, it's only when you try to edit 21Mbps AVCHD you start to see some hesitation from the system.

Some people are reporting better results using other editing programs, so it may just be a Premiere issue, but more than likely it is due to the fact that 21Mbps AVCHD is a beast to edit. In time software will get better at editing AVCHD footage natively. Look at how far we have come with HDV!
              • 4. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
                Level 1
                Until three weeks ago I still worked with an intel core2duo at 2.2 GHz. (SDI Uncompressed, 22,5 MB/s , BMD Decklink Extreme)

But the rendering power (effects, multilayer ...) was very low and average CPU usage was less than 50% (PPro2.0).

Since PrCS4 supports multicore CPUs effectively, I bought a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with Intel i7 CPU and 6 GB triple channel DDR3 Corsair 1333 RAM. (2GBx3, expandable up to 4GBx6)

The i7 CPU has four physical cores, four virtual cores and an own RAM-controller (192bit).

The rendering speed increases up to factor 10 and average CPU usage is now up to 100%. Very impressive!

This CPU has enough power for all current and future video formats.

The bundle is not really cheap, but it is an investment in the future.

In the next few jears you need no other system.

Regards from
                Berlin, Germany
                • 5. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  No doubt the i7 is very capable, but I look forward to the first benchmarks with the new dual socket Xeon 55xx (Nehalem based) systems. Those ought to satisfy most here, even for AVCHD editing. Let's say a dual E5572 system with 12 GB to start with, that would be a nice entry level system.
                  • 6. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
                    Level 1
                    >Let's say a dual E5572 system with 12 GB to start with, that would be a nice entry level system.

Harm...care to guess at the price of something like that?
                    • 7. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Rough guess, like always I should add, is around $ 5K, since that is the figure that has been around for ages for your next ideal system. I guess the mobo to be around $ 500, the CPU's around $ 1 K each and the RAM around $ 300. Add to that the case, PS, video card, disks, raid controller (nobody should consider this kind of setup without at least a good Areca or Adaptec SAS raid controller) and you will likely end up around $ 5K.
                      • 8. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >a dual E5572 system with 12 GB to start with, that would be a nice entry level system.

That'd be nice, for sure. But hardly "entry level".
                        • 9. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          It is entry level if you contemplate a 4 or more CPU system with quad cores (16 in total or 32 with HT) and 64 G of RAM with up to 48 TB SAS disks locally and several NAS units stacked for backup, running Linux for stability and using Autodesk Inferno, Flame and Smoke. Especially in a virtualized environment with VMWare. At least those were the ideas my son had. I guess I still have to get by on Windows Server 2008 and Exchange Server for the network with some NAS units (Thecus 7700).
                          • 11. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >It is entry level if you contemplate a...

Yeah, but who using Premiere really contemplates that? (Besides your son.) Your 'entry level' is more rightly considered extremely high end for the average Adobe editor. Your second suggestion is actually more akin to 'ludicrous speed' where everything gets all plaid.
                            • 12. Re: CPU!!! WICH ONE IS BETTER?!?!?!
                              Level 1
                              Ill stick with a q8200 if i dont want to pay, because its unexpensive, about 200$, or a Q9550 because it<s droping drasticly since few month because of the i7.<br /><br />Adding an i7 its buying much more for ddr3.<br /><br />My money went already on camcorder/equipements and dslr.<br /><br />:)