13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2009 2:32 AM by Ann Bens

Audio Fades

just upgraded from CS3 to CS4.

Tried doing both power and gain audio crossfade on cs3 and cs4, but nothing works. The volume is always at "max" and there is no fade.

I also tried the log fade on CS4 , but nothing.

Should "volume" always be an audio effect in every clip? Because it is and and cant figure out how to delete the effect.

please help?!
        • 1. Re: Audio Fades
          joshtownsend Level 2
          At the front of the track there is under, the track number, a button to turn on keyframes for either the whole track or the clip but you have to turn it on.
          • 2. Re: Audio Fades
            Level 1
            hmm.. i tried that but it's not working.

Is it because my "volume" effect is somehow "overriding" the fade effect so that everything is always the same volume?

I think this it because the volume will fade in for the very first track, but it never fades out or back on any other track.

All audio was taken in one continuous shot and then i used razor to create my clips. Now I am trying to fade in/out at the beginning and end of these clips.
            • 3. Re: Audio Fades
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              Make sure you have the track set to display *clip* keyframes, not *track* keyframes.
              • 4. Re: Audio Fades
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >Should "volume" always be an audio effect in every clip? Because it is and and cant figure out how to delete the effect.

It is, and you can't.

This is probably not related to why the audio transitions aren't working, though. What is your source media? What are the sequence settings?
                • 5. Re: Audio Fades
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Volume is a fixed effect and cannot be deleted. Normale level is 0 dB. Max is 6 dB.
                  Anyway if you have a clip and you razor it in the middle then add power or gain nothing is going to happen because the handles are the same of that of the clip. So you need to trim off a little bit first in order for the transitions to work.
                  • 6. Re: Audio Fades
                    akribie Level 2
                    Not sure what point Anne is making here.

If you razor a clip and then apply audio fade transitions to the adjacent cut ends, you should get a reduction of volume down and then up as you cross the join.

Single-ended transitions do not need handles, only those which rely on an overlap.
                    • 7. Re: Audio Fades
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >you should get a reduction of volume down and then up as you cross the join.

Audio transitions are more akin to the dissolve than the dip to black, so it'll rightly stay at a constant volume, as the audio being faded out is the same as the audio being faded in. The two sides of the transition need to be 'different' for any effect to be noticeable. Simply adding a cut creates no 'difference' in the media.
                      • 8. Re: Audio Fades
                        Level 1
                        okay - so it sounds like it may work if i actually delete a section of the timeline?

Any other way to accomplish a fade without having "different" clip volumes?

Id like to keep the video intact from beginning to end.

I suppose maybe i can try to lower the volume at the beginning/end of 2 adjacent clips and then try to fade?
                        • 9. Re: Audio Fades
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          If you add two effects, one to the end of the first, and then one to the beginning of the second, you can achieve a silence in between. Adding a single transition between the clips won't work.

Curious, though. Why would you want such a 'dip to silence' if the video is continuous?
                          • 10. Re: Audio Fades
                            akribie Level 2
                            I'm glad someone was paying attention. Single-ended transition can be applied to adjacent clips on the same track. That is what I was talking about, not what Jim implied.
                            • 11. Re: Audio Fades
                              Level 1
                              "if you add two effects, one to the end of the first, and then one to the beginning of the second, you can achieve a silence in between. Adding a single transition between the clips won't work.

Curious, though. Why would you want such a 'dip to silence' if the video is continuous? "

can you be more specific about the effects I'm adding to both clips?

as far as why I want to do this - it's for a concert and Id like the DVD to have everything, but i am exporting audio tracks for the cd.
                              I suppose i could slide the clips over so there is space between them...
                              • 12. Re: Audio Fades
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                Personally, I'd probably be working in Audition for such a thing. I don't know if Soundbooth could handle the job.
                                • 13. Re: Audio Fades
                                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                  When you have used the razor on a clip, hold alt and make one of the audioclips 1 frame shorter. Now you can easily add two single sided transition.