13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 3:24 PM by the_wine_snob

problems renaming titles

Ive created a title, copied and pasted it. Then I edit the title and rename it, but it wont let me. I right-click on the title, but it will not let me rename it.

any ideas?

thanks.
        • 1. Re: problems renaming titles
          shooternz Level 6
          If you want a new instance of a Title. Open it then 'Create Title Based on that one. (Menu Bar>Title>Options) - This gives you the option to rename it.

If you edit a title it automatically saves it self and updates it self on the timeline.
          • 2. Re: problems renaming titles
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            jf1020,

In either the Timeline, or the Project Panel, Dbl-click on the Title that you want to base your new Title on. This will Open the Titler. In earlier versions of PP, there was a little square with a "T" in it, in the upper left. Click that, and you will receive a dialog box to name the Title (based on the Open Title). Once you apply a name and OK, you will have the old Title in the Titler Panel. Change as is necessary.

The Title>Based On is for when you have Saved a Title. If you only have one, that you wish to base another on, the box w/ T icon is the way you want to go. If CS4 has changed the icon, or the location, F1 should point you in the right direction.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: problems renaming titles
              Eddie Lotter Level 4
              >I right-click on the title, but it will not let me rename it.

This is a known issue in CS4. You need to widen your project panel before it will allow you to rename clips.

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: problems renaming titles
                (Al_Di_Marzio) Level 1
                Hi All, thanks for the tips. I have been using the "Duplicate" function under the "Edit" menu. I duplicate a title, rename it, open it and make the changes. This seems to work well for me. Though it does take a little pre planning.

On CS4 the "T" icon is visable in the top left corner of the panel that has the work area. Just below the name of the title.

By the way, does anyone know where the title files are stored? I can't seem to find them as individual files ... or are they bundled/buried with the project file?

AL
                • 5. Re: problems renaming titles
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Al,

Unless things have changed, the Titles are stored in the Project, unless you save as a Template. Then they are in Doc & Settings\ [User Name]\My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\[Version Number]\Templates.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: problems renaming titles
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

You can also export the title to a separate title file from the project panel if you want to use the title in another project.

Cheers
                    Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                    - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                    - Over 250 free tutorials
                    - Maintained by editors like you
                    Forum FAQ
                    • 7. Re: problems renaming titles
                      (Al_Di_Marzio) Level 1
                      Hi Bill and Eddie, Thanks. I did a file search on all my HDs and couldn't find them. As I suspected, they become part of the project. In a way I suppose this is good since in PPRo 2 the .prtl files clogged my projects folder.

Have a grand week gentlemen,
                      AL
                      • 8. Re: problems renaming titles
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Even in 2.0, the titles are a part of the project, not separate files.
                        • 9. Re: problems renaming titles
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          It was about the time that Premiere went from the Title Deko module, that I think they became embedded. Do not recall which version that was.

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: problems renaming titles
                            (Al_Di_Marzio) Level 1
                            Hi Jim, <br /><br />I respectfully disagree with you. I just upgraded from PPro 2 to CS4. The .prtl files are in the same folder as the .prproj files. Well, at least that is the way they are on my system.<br /><br />Bill,<br /><br />If my ancient memory serves me, Title Deko existed in the version 1 or perhaps as late as version 1.5. I was glad to see it disappear in version 2.<br /><br />I hope you guys are staying warm ... it was 12 degrees this morning.<br />    AL<br /><br />PS. Will send screen shot of my folder upon request ...<g>
                            • 11. Re: problems renaming titles
                              Dag Norum Level 2
                              My god how old you guys must be (memory goes low) :)

>It was about the time that Premiere went from the Title Deko module, that I think they became embedded. Do not recall which version that was.

>If my ancient memory serves me, Title Deko existed in the version 1 or perhaps as late as version 1.5. I was glad to see it disappear in version 2.

No, TitleDeko did come with Premiere 6.0 but in v6,5 Premiere got its own title tool (basically the same as now).

In PPro 1.5 the .prlt files could be saved wherever you wanted, but was not embedded in the project file.

Dag
                              • 12. Re: problems renaming titles
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                I still use 2.0 every day. Titles are not created separately. You can do so manually, but unless you do, they are saved only within the project file.
                                • 13. Re: problems renaming titles
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  Al,

I just took off my sweatshirt, as it hit high 60's up top and about 55F on the pool deck.

Interesting about the title file placement in CS4.

DAG,

Your comment on 6.0 - 6.5 rings a bell with me. Back when I was looking into an old 6.5 Project, I read a bunch of reviews and white papers from Adobe, trying to get answers to another question. It seemed that, because of Title Deko, the forward compatibility of Projects between versions was broken. No older tiles would import.

Jim,

I'm with you on this, unless I Save my Titles. Mine are in Doc&Settings\\\\Templates

Hunt