6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 2:31 PM by Jim_Simon

Audio and Video out of sync

Tpfkas
      I captured a HDV-tape with Premiere (using the appropriate HDV capture settings). The resulting mpeg-file plays fine in the VLC player with no audio/video sync issue whatsoever..

However, when I import the file in Premiere and play it in the source monitor there is a serious sync problem after about 10 minutes or so.
      I did a test by exporting a short clip to various formats and the result is also out-of sync. Any ideas?

My system: Intel Core Duo T7500 @2.2GHz, 4GB
        • 1. Re: Audio and Video out of sync
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Have you tried files captured with HDVSplit?
          • 2. Re: Audio and Video out of sync
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            Framerate, NDF vs. DF, NTSC vs. PAL, anything like that might cause this. What was it shot at, what are the sequence settings, etc?
            • 3. Re: Audio and Video out of sync
              Tpfkas Level 1
              @Ann: yes I did and that worked OK. Did not capture a clip long enough though to see if sync problems appear. But anyway: the clip that I captured with Premiere plays without any sync issue in VLC-player so the captured file itself seems to be OK.

@Harm
              Hoi Harm :-)
              I capture from HDV tape over Firewire. It's PAL, 1080i 25fps. What do you mean with NDF/DF and sequence settings? I don't see any paramters I can change..
              • 4. Re: Audio and Video out of sync
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                NDF = non dropped frame, 30 FPS
                DF = dropped frame, 29.97 FPS

It does not apply to PAL. I use PAL myself and when I encountered these synch issues it was often caused by dropped (meaning incomplete or misconstrued) frames and my solution was what Ann said, use HDVSplit. I liked the scene detection so much that I never even tried PR for capturing anymore.
                • 5. Re: Audio and Video out of sync
                  Tpfkas Level 1
                  I just ran a test with HDVSPlit. Seems like it is able to keep the a/v synced much longer. Unfortunately at some point some frames were dropped during capture and then synchronisation was lost. Interesting is that the VLC-player seems not to be bothered by that and is able to play the files correctly even after that point. PR then shows asynced a/v.

Anyway, looks like a good idea to use HDVSPlit and let it stop the capture if frames are dropped.
                  History repeats itself: I have always used WinDV for capturing DV because that also turned out to be more reliable than PR...
                  • 6. Re: Audio and Video out of sync
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >NDF = non dropped frame, 30 FPS DF = dropped frame, 29.97 FPS

That's not quite accurate. All NTSC video runs at 29.97 fps. The only difference is how the frames are numbered in timecode. Drop Frame will drop occasional frame numbers in the timecode (not actual frames of video) in order to compensate for the fact that video is running at 29.97 and not exactly 30 fps. This keeps the timecode accurate with the actual running time.

Non Drop Frame keeps all time code frame numbers sequential, so that after a while, the timecode doesn't quite correspond with the actual running length.

DF and NDF are timecode issues only, and will have no bearing on the media itself.