10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 11:41 AM by Curt Wrigley

Artefacts in Source and programm monitor

Hey Guys,

I've got a lot of artefacts when I look at my imported videos in premiere pro cs4. Same problem in programm and in source monitor.

I've imported SD DV material, 720x576 res.

here is a screenshot of the problem:
      http://www.pic-upload.de/view-1410979/premiere.jpg.html

When I check out the material in a normal media player (for example WMP) there are NO artefacts whatsoever. These artefacts only occur in premiere pro. I've no idea what kind of problem that is....

My system:
      Vista Home Premium 32bit (SP1)
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 4 x 2,33 Ghz
      4 Gigabyte memory
      640 Gig Harddsik
      Ati Radeon HD 4870
      Drivers are all up2date.
      My monitor is a siemens 23" 1920x1080 full HD tft. Im using a dvi to hdmi cable.

As the default player in Premiere pro the adobe player is used. I wanted to change that (maybe that will solve the problem) but there's no other option in the dropdown menu.

Does anyone have an idea to help me?
      Sorry for my bad english!
        • 1. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          What is the artifact, that white line? Is that line not in the original media at all? Or is it that the white line doesn't look 'smooth', it looks kind of jaggy?

If the white line shouldn't be there at all, I'm not sure what the problem is.

If the white line just doesn't look smooth, try setting your monitor to 100% instead of Einpassen.
          • 2. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Lensflare? It also shows in the project panel.
            Have you been filming towards/into the sun? Is it a CMOS camera or CCD?
            • 3. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
              Level 1
              Hey Guys.

There are artefacts EVERYWHERE in the monitor. As soon as I start to play the imported material it is full of artefacts. This happens not only on video, it happens as well on titles that I created and put into the sequence.

I tried 100% instead of einpassen, but you cant see anything clearly anymore, it's a lot worse than the 100% option....

It seems to be a premiere pro problem... Because when i playback the source material from my harddisk with vlc or media player, it looks fine....

Any idea? I don"t know how to explain it better.... The whole picture looks like a video with a resolution of 100x100 on a 2000x2000 screen....

And this only happens in premirere pro...

@im simon: the white line looks jaggy. The whole picture looks jaggy when I play back the material...
              • 4. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
                Level 1
                So guys,
                I've made 3 screenshots to show you the problem:

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-1431192/programm-monitor.jpg.html
                This one shows the video played back.... It looks that bad, believe me...

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-1431201/vlc.jpg.html
                This one shows the same video played from my harddsik with VLC.

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-1431208/stop-play.jpg.html
                And the last one shows two screenshots: One taken from a title imported in my video when NOT played back (on the left side). The other one on the right side shows what happens when i hit the play button.... A lot of artefacts or squares or rectangles or how you wanna call it.

Does anyone here have this problem? It looks like Premiere pro doesnt deinterlace or something....
                • 5. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Set right monitor to fit instead of 100%.
                  Does your project settings match your source footage?
                  • 6. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
                    Level 1
                    I normally use the option "fit", it looks a little bit better but there still rectangles all over the screen. It looks like a bad copy of a movie highly compressed...

My projects seetings match my source footage, yes. I use DV 16:9 and I've shot in DV 16:9.

It looks like a player without deinterlacing activated...

Again: It has to be a problem within Premiere Pro. When I export my footage even to compressed mpg2 it looks fine in every player (vlc, media player). The footage is fine, but something in premiere's programm and source monitor isn't.

Important: I have the same "artefcats/rectangles" on TITLES! Even on non moving titles created for my project I have these artefacts as soon as I hit the play button in premiere...." What the heck.. ?
                    • 7. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >My projects seetings match my source footage

Check that again, because those two not matching is the only reason I can think of for the problem you're seeing. It really does look as if you're scaling DV media up to HD resolution or something.
                      • 8. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
                        Master Petersen,
                        Does the video look fine when it is paused? If so, I am having the same issue. Just really crappy low res playback, not only on the computer but the firewire output as well.
                        I had the same issue with my old system when I first got it and there was a setting to change. I am looking for a remedy to that as well.
                        Also, if you have a dual monitor setup and are trying to use a MATROX card, it will only play out properly on the left monitor. If you get an answer, let me know sappleby@jpcycles.com
                        • 9. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
                          Level 1
                          I solved the problem reading 100 posts here in the forum....

It is the playback quality that matters.

Right click on the source or the programm monitor and look for playback quality.... Change it from "automatic" to "high quality"...

Automatic obviously chose the lowest quality possible... That doesn't make any sense... I've got a quad core processor, 4 gig of ram and a high end ati radeon HD 4850....
                          • 10. Re: Artefacts in Source and programm monitor
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4
                            > Automatic obviously chose the lowest quality possible... That doesn't make any sense.

Automatic chooses the res and frame rate that your computer is capable of playing back. If you have a fast system, then your source footage must not match your seq preset ergo pr is having to render every frame causing it to lower the preview quality to keep up. If everything matches, "Automatic" will play back high quality even with some effects. Or, your source footage is AVCHD which everything has problems playing well.