5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 7:07 PM by Bill Gehrke

CS4 constant freezes on fast PC

ECS_1 Level 1
      Hi

Just upgraded to CS4 from CS3 (which ran absolutely fine). I am experiencing constant 10-second freezes where the program seems to hang, before eventually recovering.

Windows XP Service Pack 3
      8 x Intel Xeon CPU X5365@3Ghz
      3.25GB RAM (whatever that means!)
      Nvidia Quadro FX 4600 Graphics card

I have removed some unecessary applications so there are 30 programs running which is about normal I think?

The Nvidia site suggests I upgrade from driver 178.26 to an AutoCad driver - not sure why. Should I do this? Will it make any difference?

thks a lot

ed
        • 1. Re: CS4 constant freezes on fast PC
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          30 seems a bit much, you could well get it down to the low twenties.

Check this The Case of the Unexplained
          • 2. Re: CS4 constant freezes on fast PC
            ECS_1 Level 1
            I doubt that is the problem because I'm using Premiere 4 on my laptop which is slower and which has around 50 programs running - and I don't seem to have the same problem.

The main issue seems to be when I try to move the workspace windows around. The whole thing locks up for 10 seconds or so and the mouse icon is stuck in the cross pattern you get when you're re-sizing the windows.
            • 3. Re: CS4 constant freezes on fast PC
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Try the updated nVidia driver. If that does not work, try the steps outlined in the BOLD POST
              at the top of the forum about
              b How to ask a question....
              • 4. Re: CS4 constant freezes on fast PC
                Level 1
                I myself had that same problem. Same graphics card, too. Tried 3 different nVidia drivers, finally ending up with the latest, still no good.
                There seems to be a fundamental clash between CS4 and nVidia graphics.

I downgraded to CS3 the other night and Premiere runs fine. I just can no longer work in AE with XDCam footage, so there's now an extra step as I have to render out all footage to uncompressed 1920x1080 to work on it in AE. At least Premiere works as it should now.

However, I may have to roll back the driver to the one from a year ago, as programs like Illustrator and InDesign won't update the client area of the screen and are completely unusable with the newest nVidia drivers.
                • 5. Re: CS4 constant freezes on fast PC
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                  It might not be the number of programs running, but may more likely be what is running that is interrupting CS4. Certain antivirus/antispyware type programs are known to cause problems.