19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 1:38 PM by Ann Bens

Delaying  installing CS4 until...

shooternz Level 6
      My CS4 upgrade is now at the suppliers but I am seriously considering holding off on installing it until the UPDATES are released.

Seems that this package needs a lot of updates from the get go.

I am fighting my normal urges and impetuosity here so tell me this is a good strategy or that I am being a big nancy boy and I should throw caution to the wind. (Note: I do not need any hassles at the moment as I have too much work in hand for that b.s)

Also: Funny thing is I am not reading much joy and enthusiasm for CS4 anywhere as of yet.
        • 1. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
          Curt Wrigley Level 4
          What would be the updates you need? CS4 makes me much more productive. Batch rendering in AME alone is worth the UG. No rendering to Encore.. Pasting transitions to any group of clips, changing still duration in batch after they are on the timeline, better DL. Its harder to export a still frame. Thats the only downside for me. But the advantages far outweigh that.

Im curious what the roadblocks are for you?
          • 2. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
            Level 1
            I'm with Curt - CS4 isn't perfect, but I'm liking it far more then CS3. I LOVE that I can batch encode and still edit, among other things.
            • 3. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
              shooternz Level 6
              My impression is that I am reading more about fixes that will be dealt with in the 1st update than I am reading enthusiastic reactions.

eg Is CS4 amazing , ordinary or otherwise?

I still do not hear any conclusive answer that Garbage Mattes or creeping Titler Panels are fixed. Both essential to me.

Considering how many posts there were to a shortlist of "known issues" I am surprised that no one has tested and come out with a reaction (positive or negative) .

If the updates are coming so soon after release (hopefully) I do not want to install CS4 too early , then have more workarounds than I already have.

BTW: OMF will come with the update allegedly. A biggie for me.
              • 4. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                Level 1
                Isn't it rather risky to use the machine while doing something as critical and time-consuming as batch encoding? Isn't anyone concerned that doing editing might crash your machine and you lose hours of rendering and have to restart the process?

Based on my experience with CS3, I find it best to just leave the machine alone for the 4 hours or so that it needs to render a file. Attempting to do anything else is inviting an out of memory error or worse, a BSOD.
                • 5. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                  TradeWind Level 3
                  Yeah, the advantage I see to batch encoding is working on multiple sequences and/or multiple projects and/or multiple applications and rendering all of that at once with a single click. I'm not planning to do a whole lot of rendering while working on other projects, but maybe it'll come up at some point (and then I will be glad to have that feature).

Besides, if I wasn't waiting on my machine to render, when would I ever have time to watch paint dry? And you KNOW that grass isn't going to watch itself grow.

The patch/update is coming in a couple of weeks, slated for November...so you're not too far off. I cancelled my order with Amazon because apparently they will be the last 3rd party to ship (late Nov. or early Dec.). Instead I placed an order elsewhere and will have it this week and at a significant savings nonetheless.
                  • 6. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4
                    Mark; Ive found CS4 to be very stable. AME running in the BG has not caused an crashes for me.

Craig; I think it has been reported by more than one that the titler creep and garbage mattes are fixed.

Curt
                    • 7. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                      fuaho Level 1
                      @Curt:

Since you are one of the short list of happy folks, maybe you could tell us more about what you are doing?

Format? Tape or Tapeless? After Effects work? Photoshopping? Outputting to? Etc.
                      • 8. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                        I doubt happy customers of CS4 are the "short list". Where do you get this idea?

I shoot DV and HDV. Edit both. Test P2 tapless. A fair amount of AE, PS and Il. Export to both SD DVD, Bluray, and web. Corp, event work, some training, consulting and technical writing. Live mostly within Pr.
                        • 9. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                          Level 1
                          I was having problems with CS4 right off the bat with Vista 64. I turned off the Vista Theme and turned it back to the Classic mode and it seems to have helped a lot! CS4 feels more stable now and I have multiple programs open and the system feels stable so far. (knock on wood)
                          • 10. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                            TradeWind Level 3
                            @ William...

Remember, people are much more likely to punish than praise. When stuff goes right, we're happy, don't talk about it so much. When a single thing causes even the slightest disruption, it ruins our day and we tell everyone about it, usually multiple times.

The louder list shouldn't be confused for the longest list (though it is sometimes the case).
                            • 11. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              Finally installed Production Premium CS4 yesterday.
                              First tried all the known issues.
                              Can't find one, except for the flickering workbar.
                              Runs like a charme on Vista 64.
                              • 12. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                                Level 1
                                >Can't find one, except for the flickering workbar.

Change your windows vista theme to classic and that will fix the issue.
                                • 13. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                                  Ah, thanks.
                                  Set it to classic, zoombar stopt flickering but there is still a minor flickering in the the yellow timecode on the left.
                                  • 14. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    >Craig; I think it has been reported by more than one that the titler creep and garbage mattes are fixed.

Not that I have seen or read anywhere here.

Curt... You have CS4. Do a test garbage matte for me if you would be so kind and have the time. I would appreciate it very much coming from you.
                                    • 15. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                                      Level 1
                                      >Curt... You have CS4. Do a test garbage matte for me if you would be so kind and have the time. I would appreciate it very much coming from you.

I have tried the garbage matte and it seems to work fine.
                                      • 16. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                                        My garbage matte works.
                                        • 17. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          Great to hear that confirmed. Thanx guys.

I use a lot of Garbage Mattes and it will be brilliant not to have to flip over to AEFX for such a simple task.
                                          • 18. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                                            joshtownsend Level 2
                                            "Isn't it rather risky to use the machine while doing something as critical and time-consuming as batch encoding? Isn't anyone concerned that doing editing might crash your machine and you lose hours of rendering and have to restart the process?

Based on my experience with CS3, I find it best to just leave the machine alone for the 4 hours or so that it needs to render a file. Attempting to do anything else is inviting an out of memory error or worse, a BSOD."

If you read Adobe literature half the reason for AME is so you can work while you render. It's more obvious in after effects because you can set a specify how many cores are used to render for the purpose of being able to work while you background render.

Of course it's gonna work best with quad cores. If you only have a single duel core you might have problems but if your really scared you'll lose your render you can always render out to still sequence and just pick where you left off.

There are lot's of programs that do background renders. I haven't had Adobe media encoder fail one time. Besides IT IS A DIFFERENT PROGRAM. So if Premiere Pro fails on you that doesn't automatically mean that Adobe Media Encoder is gonna fail. Think about it, makes complete sense.
                                            • 19. Re: Delaying  installing CS4 until...
                                              > Funny thing is I am not reading much joy and enthusiasm for CS4 anywhere as of yet

I do like Dynamic Link: send to Encore.
                                              Just installed teh Premium version a few days ago, have yet to explore fully.
                                              But what i have seen so far i am very pleased about it.