16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2009 3:22 AM by spreeni

Interlaced Playback Problem

I recently upgraded to CS4, and now my primary and secondary monitors are both interlaced, and makes editing annoying.

If I view the same footage outside of Premiere everything looks normal. When I export to DVD, everything looks fine.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Again, I had the exact setup in CS3, and everything was fine.

Thoughts guys?

Later,
      Michael

Rig:

2.51 Q6600 Quad Core 2 OC
      8 GB 1066Mhz Memory
      Nvidia 8800 GTX w/ 768 DDR3
      Vista x64
      7 TB Sata 2.0 Hard Drives
        • 1. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          > my primary and secondary monitors are both interlaced

This is highly UNLIKELY. What monitors?
          • 2. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
            Keith_Andrews Level 1
            Are you sure it's an interlace issue and not related to realtime playback? Are you watching video that needs to be rendered first, or does the sequence match the format of the video?

You mentioned monitors in your posting, but did not tell us whether they were CRT's, LCD's, Plasma's, or DLP's. Could be a graphics driver compatibility issue with the newer version of Premiere. Have you installed the latest driver for your 8800?

If the video looks fine outside of Premiere then we can assume it is isolated to CS4, but can't be 100% sure without some more information.
            • 3. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
              Level 1
              When I said both monitors are interlaced, I met the video playback on both monitors are interlaced. And no, this with any video, that does or does not require rendering.

I have two widescreen LCDs, 21" and 19".

As I said before, I had everything set up the same in CS3, and my video playback was fine on both monitors, with no disgusting interlaced lines.

Later,
              Michael
              • 5. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                This is a typical case of SN instead of SNAFU. All systems normal when using interlaced material in an interlaced project.
                • 6. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                  spreeni Level 1
                  I have this issue, too on interlaced clips. I'm using a dual head display adapter (Quadro FX 1700) with a hd preview monitor at the secondary port. Unfortunately my display adapter doesn't seem to support interlaced modes, even the display supports them.

No problems on progressive source clips, they look fine on all displays. I thought, this was a normal behavior of cs4 to display interlaced sources as interlacd in fullscreen preview. Personaly I would prefer the way, CS3 did.

Harm, does your cs4 system really puts out interlaced clips as progressive in the fullscreen preview of a secondary monitor? If yes, which display adapter do you use? And... what does it mean SN and SNAFU?

greetings, spreeni
                  • 7. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    I use an ATI Radeon. All computer monitors are progressive, so all they can display is the first field at a time. So they display from frame x the first field and not the second field. They do not process the two fields to create a progressive frame. That is why, when using an interlaced project with interlaced material, you see all those lines with fast movement, since it is one field only, not a frame. This has never been different in previous versions. Thus the statement SN, Systems Normal, and not SNAFU, Systems Normal All F*cked Up.
                    • 8. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                      spreeni Level 1
                      Harm, you're right, all computer monitors are progressive. But in my case, I use a broadcast preview monitor which can handle interlaced inputs like an analog tv. And yes, there IS a difference between the CS3 and CS4 preview.

As far as I can say the CS3 fullscreen preview is deinterlaced by Adobe or nvidia software and sent to the display in a progressive format. CS4 sends it in source clip's native format wich produces a better quality but causes problems if one component cannot handle interlaced material (i.e. display adapter or monitor).

I asked of your hardware because you wrote, you cannot see a difference between cs3 and cs4 preview. This means, ATI drivers working completely different together with CS4 compared to nvidia. While you can read of those many problems with CS4 preview on nvidia cards, it may be a good idea giving ATI display devices a chance.

spreeni
                      • 9. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >This means, ATI drivers working completely different together with CS4 compared to nvidia.

That sentiment seems to be growing in these forums.
                        • 10. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                          Keith_Andrews Level 1
                          I haven't experience any problems what so ever using the latest NVidia drivers with my Quadro FX1700. I'm not sure how accurate we can be putting blame on video drivers for causing software conflicts when we never have difinitive tests, or results showing one working better over the other.

You best believe though, with Adobe and NVidia having established a partnership, that any issues with drivers, or device conflicts, will be addressed quickly and resolved without delay. Else they are going to have some major PR conflicts.
                          • 11. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >I'm not sure how accurate we can be putting blame on video drivers for causing software conflicts when we never have difinitive tests

I recall a time when updating my ATI driver to version 8.6 broke a Magic Bullet plug-in. Took me a while to figure it out, but rolling back to 8.5 solved the issue. Seems ATI made a change in the 8.6 version which MB then had to compensate for. So it's not impossible for a driver version to mess with other software, even if no tests have yet been done to prove it.

(Remember, gravity existed long before Newton 'discovered' it.)
                            • 12. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                              Keith_Andrews Level 1
                              I'm certainly not doubting that graphics drivers could cause issues with software, I'm just stating that we don't have any conclusive evidence that shows one video card manufacturer being more compatible with Premiere over the other.
                              • 13. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                                spreeni Level 1
                                > I haven't experience any problems what so ever using the latest NVidia drivers with my Quadro FX1700

Keith, so you use the same video card than me. Do you use two monitors, one for program and one for a fullscreen-preview? If so, and you got no problems, this would be quite remarkable because so many people got this 'stuttering preview problem' on their fullscreen-preview-monitor (Me too, since inoffical 185.20). Although I doubt the partnership of adobe and nvidia is that big: The adobe certified quadro fx drivers are version 162.65 from november 2007.

But back to topic, I think the interlaced preview (fullscreen on secondary display) mustn't be a problem. This would be great if the display adapter would go out in an 576i resolution. You would then have the ability of highest quality preview on a broadcast monitor. But as long as the driver doesn't support this mode it would be nice, if software will deinterlace the preview (again, the fullscreen preview on a secondary progressive display). A switch would be nice, for example 'native mode' and 'compatible mode'.

Is anyone else using an ATI FireGL or FirePro? How is HD preview on 2nd monitor with that?

spreeni
                                • 14. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                                  Level 1
                                  I just updated my Nvidia 8800 GTX drivers, and problems seems to be less, but it's still there.

CS3 was better in this area.

So if it's not broken... don't fix it.
                                  • 15. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                                    Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                    Your issue could be the result of that specific configuration. My dual monitor setup is configured with two identical LCD monitors being fed a DVI signal from my NVidia Quadro FX1700 for the main purpose of desktop real estate. I then use a firewire card to output the video signal to a Canopus Pyro box which then feeds an analog component signal to a Sony broadcast monitor. Regardless of whether I am editing interlace or progressive scan footage, anything shown on my Sony monitor is going to be interlaced.

I rarely use my LCD's for full screen preview. I think if you wanted to go that route, get a nice HD LCD, or Plasma and feed that a DVI, or HDMI signal with a dedicated graphics card like a Black Magic Intensity Pro and set the card up so that it is outputting a true television standard like SMPTE 296m, or 274m.

Read the follow:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/66709/374025.aspx

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/archive/index.php/t-48832.html

Most people are recommending two seperate video cards when using full screen preview and not just outputting two different video standards via the two dvi ports on the video card. NVidia has also stated that full screen video mirroring is no longer supported due to Protected Video Path Output Content Protection, or PVP-OPM.
                                    • 16. Re: Interlaced Playback Problem
                                      spreeni Level 1
                                      Hello keith,

thanks for the links, it's interesting to read, that the problems of AVID users are nearly the same... Anyway, the mirroring of the overlay was never the way adobe used for their fullscreen preview, so it wouldn't make a difference not to have this 'feature'.

I now know why your system is running well. It's really the best way to work with an external firewire-device - as long as you stay with SD video. But if you're cutting in HD and want a professional preview things getting tricky.

I thought of using a Blackmagic card, too. It would be good if you're using tape-based input, because you 'capture' the source clips in a special High Quality Blackmagic Codec. But when using memorycard-based input like P2 or XDCAM this solution isn't that usable anymore. All clips have to be converted in timeline wich reduced the workspeed dramaticaly.

For P2 or XDCAM the Motu V4HD would be an option. This is an external device, wich is connected by firewire and give a realtime preview of those formats (I think it's working in the same way as the well known DV-bridges). But this device is expensive and I didn't hear much about it of other premiere-pro-cutters. So is it really working? - Who knows...

The solution of using the secondary Quadro FX port for a fullscreen HD preview seems to be simple and cheap. Yes, to calibrate the output to a correct colorspace can be a problem, you're right. But this must be a display card driver's option, the nvidia hardware would be able to handle these colorspace.

I agree with you, a second Quadro FX card would probably reduce the problems of using a fullscreen preview. But as long as nvidia sells that cards for using it with two displays with support of different resolution, fullscreen video (video edition of QFX1700) etc. we don't have to accept these problems.

So it cannot be bad to ask how ATI handles this with their drivers, but this could be a new topic...

Spreeni