1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 2:43 PM by Harm Millaard

We've solved the huge number of problems by...

Hi guys,

usually at this place there's much spoken about unsolved problems, but...

In July '08 we bought new PC (below is the configuration) and so far had serious problems - from stability with Premiere and After Effects (crashing), errors claiming we are running low on system memory. PC was sometimes actually slower in rendering and exporting media than my 2-years old ordinary portable computer. We are working with XDCAM-EX files, which we tought will be able to edit natively, but it didn't work. So the solution was to downsample all files to dv-avi, but that's just too time-consuming.
      Our OS was Windows XP 32bit, then we changed to Windows Vista 32bit, but it wasn't much better. Yesterday we installed Windows Vista 64bit and it's just amazing - things just work!! No errrors, no crashing, stability is 100% and I was editing yesterday in native XDCAM-EX (full HD progressive) with no problems at all.
      We're working with external USB discs, but we're now switching to ESATA, which should also solve some minor issues on performance.

So, maybe considering switching to 64bit VISTA is good option (using premiere CS4), if you have that kind of problems as we had.

Does anyone have similar experience?

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3, LGA775, I P35, 4xDDR2(Dual),1xPCI-Ex16,GLAN, C2D,6xSATAIIr10+1xIDE,12xUSB2.0,3xPC
      processor: CORE 2 DUO E8500, 3.160 GHz 6MB, 1333MHz
      with 4gb RAM and graphic card Nvidia GF 8800GT OC2 512MB GDDR3

Regards,
      Ziga