18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 11:54 AM by (idar_lettrem)

If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)

shooternz Level 6
      Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s

Sorry guys... bit cheeky I know but I am on a world wide search for a 28mm nikkor lens (see link) and I am hoping some one here may have one of these in a box , in a dark cupboard or somewhere that they will sell me to complete my set of Nikkor lenses for my Letus DOF adapter system.

I promise that anything I shoot with it, I will edit on CS4 Premiere Pro

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm
        • 1. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
          Level 1
          Craig, if you had the money for a 35mm adaptor, why is the lens such a big deal? For 200 euros you should be able to get one. What's 200 euros compared to the obscene amount of money you already spent on your rig? :) And by the way... isn't getting a Nikon out of a dark box some form of piracy? ;)
          • 2. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Craig,

I have one, but it is pre-AI, and I never made the conversion, even when Nikon was offering it for nearly nothing. IIRC, even places like Marty Fourcher (NYC/USA) cannot get the parts for the conversion now. If mine had been updated, I'd gladly allow you to use it. I'm sure that the diaphram could use some working out. This would be predicated on my finding it amongst my historical stuff!

I'd look to some of the reputable used dealers, like B&H and Calumet. I'll also poke into Tempe Camera (PHX/USA) and see what they have in their used Nikon department. Though PHX is not the largest pro-photo market, Tempe Camera does have some interesting stuff. If I run across one of these, I'll shout at you.

I always thought that the Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 was the sharper, though slightly longer. I used mine with bellows and reversing rings for some good micro shots - until we got the Apo-EL Nikkor 105mm. That was the ultimate, but horribly pricey - ~ US$4k back in 1980 $'s. Still, it was the ultimate. We shot it and also used it for 8 x 10 dupe trans at 1:1. Wide-open, it was the sharpest lens I have ever used. However, as it was produced for NASA and then in very limited quantities, it saw little use in the real world. After about 10 years of service, we sold it for US$3k, so it did have its followers. It was, however NOT a wide-angle, unless you were shooting 4x5, or 8x10. No shutter, so you either used strobe in a dark studio, or the lens cap for a shutter.

If I find your lens, you'll hear about it.

Hunt
            • 3. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
              shooternz Level 6
              Thanx Bill.

Nice to "talk" to a guy that knows the magic of some of that old Nikkor glass. My recent tests on the new adapter with the lenses have proved how good these are. (24, 35,50, 55 macro, 85, 105 in particular. My Nikkor zooms are adequate and useable and cover the range)

I have been doing extensive searches for that particular 28mm lens and I know one will show up somewhere. No real rush.

BTW - my adapter will take pre AI lenses ( I also have PL mount for it)
              • 4. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Well, that might work. Now, I only have to dig through the Hunt Museum of Antiquated Nikon Stuff. Let's hope that I still have it and can lay my sweaty hands on it. If so, and you can use it. It will be yours, until you finish the projects - no charge. Oh, I might let you pay shipping (is it SA, or OZ, I forget?). Still, if I can dig it out, you are welcome to use it and no attribution will be necessary - unless you win a Motion Pictures Arts and Science award. You know that cute little guy on the black base...

Let me dig and poke. Is your e-mail in your profile?

Wish me luck,

Hunt
                • 5. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                  I've got the AF version of this lens, I think.
                  • 6. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Dan : Manual focus lenses are best on DOF Adapters.

@ Bill . Thanx so much - I am really looking to buy one of these lenses when I find one. Its a long way from where you live to New Zealand for a "loaner". (If you find it..let me know what it actually is and maybe if you can be convinced to sell it.)
                    • 7. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                      Level 1
                      By the way, what Nikon zoom lens is recommended for the Letus? I'm looking for something going from 25 to 100 tu use as an all around lens.
                      • 8. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        You don't understand the intention of the Letus, do you?
                        • 9. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                          shooternz Level 6
                          Well juju...A highly commended/respected Nikkor zoom lens for use with an adapter or otherwise is the 17 to 35mm. ( It runs about USD $4000) Not sure about 25 - 100mmm range

Most adapter users prefer a set of primes but the good zooms are definitely useable.

A fascinating fact I discovered with my Letus is that one can do a great little zoom with a prime lens by using the camera zoom. ie zoom up the ground glass (Not everyone knows that but I assure you it works perfectly.)
                          • 10. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Craig,

I'm off on the search. So far, I did turn up my Beaulieu PzM-2008 and my Nikkor to C-mount adapter. Gotta' find the old still stuff. There's an F-2 with an MD-4 down here someplace and should also be a 20, 24 28, 35 and 55-micro with bellows and rings. I think that another F-2 with 50 f/1.4, 105 f/2.5 and 80-200 f/4.5 were "gifted" to my favorite niece, when she started photo school, in the early '90s. Do not think any of the WA's were in that kit. I'll get back to you, ASAP - man, it's dusty down in Hunt Museum of Photo and Cimema Oddities! Might even find my old Bolex H-16 Rex, who knows?

Later,

Hunt

PS as she's off to other paths, if she did get it, I know I can get it back.
                            • 11. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                              shooternz Level 6
                              When I hunted for my old Nikkors ...I discovered a pile of meters...old Spectras and Seckonics and some old American Cinematographer Manuals. Was a nice trip in memory lane.
                              • 12. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                                Colin Brougham Level 6
                                Craig--

I've got a RedRock M2, and I do the same thing--zoom in with the camera lens to reframe when using a prime on the RR. I find this particularly useful when you're shooting an interview or similar setup. Ideally, when shooting an interview, you'd have a wide, medium, and close-up, and maybe even an XCU. With primes on a 35mm adapter, swapping lens in the midst of an interview is usually not the best course of action. However, I found that with careful framing at the outset of an interview setup, and the proper lens (I usually use a 50mm/1.2), you can achieve those various shots by zooming with the cam lens... and no one is the wiser :)
                                • 13. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  If I really intended (scripted) to do a zoom I would probably use one of my Nikkor zooms but the zoom to GG on a prime is a nice option and kind of different as well. eg the dof stays exactly the same.

I am shooting a music clip late next week and intend to use it as an "effect". Including pulling back to reveal the edges of the GG. Old trick we used to do in still photgraphy was print the border of the negative. Became a cliche but was cool while it lasted.

Shooting my first TVC with the LETUS tommorow. I invested in it to give my clients a "new look" and me a new challenge. Will be fun. (Glad I dont have to flip any footage in my edit suite.)
                                  • 14. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                                    I will tell you this much: invest in one extra person to be a grip/runner/bagel boy/whatever. Shooting with 35mm adapters is very enjoyable, but it can get a bit stressful because they are not without a certain amount of futzing about to get the most from them. You can get kind of spoiled shooting with a standard-issue video camera--the adapters bring all sorts of new shooting possibilities, but they do require a bit more attention.

Chia Pets, they ain't... :)

Have fun, and good luck with your shoot!
                                    • 15. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                                      shooternz Level 6
                                      I hear you Colin but I always have a full pro crew for anything apart from a "run and gun" shoot (which I dont do many of).

I have camera guys that I worked very hard with as we adapted to Digital and HD workflows. For them ...the cameras and the workflows were the big learning curves. After 100's of shoots...we are still learning constantly. The adapter is another bridge in the long and winding path but after a full day of comprehensive tests...we are very comfortable with it, its possibilities (and its limitations).

Makes no difference to the grips and gaffers etc what ever we use.

We always have a runners and prod assists to keep us fed, watered and whatever else they do...

I am buzzing a bit about the TVC but more so for the music clip (ie no rules)
                                      • 16. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Craig,

Bad news on the Nikkor lens front. I did gift that lens to my "favorite niece." I talked with her about it, and getting it back for you to use. She admitted that it, plus the 80-200 f/4.5, 50 f/2 and F2 body were all lost in a fire in her apartment. We knew about the fire, but she never mentioned all the Nikon gear going up in flames, as she didn't want me to be mad at her.

At least the "goose-chage" turned up some interesting artifacts, that I had not seen in years.

I'm heading to a camera store in Tempe, with a large selection of used Nikon stuff. I'll check with them, to see if they have this lens. There is also another shop near-by, and I'll drop into it, as well.

Sorry for wasting your time on this, but there's still hope in Arizona.

Hunt
                                        • 17. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          Thanx Bill.

I lucked in last weekend when an old friend and ex employer gave me a Nikkor 28mm f2.8 that he dug out of an old box in a back cupboard.

I used to use this lens thirty years ago so it has some nostalgia attached as well as a slight amount of fungus back of front element. (I also may have some fungus attached to me after all these years!)

Its in the hands of a camera service guy now. Quoted $50 to sort it and it will be perfect.

These old Nikkors, apart from being well made, sure can produce some good images.

Some test pix I shot
                                          http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=160994
                                          • 18. Re: If juju can ...I can ... (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s wanted)
                                            Level 1
                                            @ Craig: "Well juju...A highly commended/respected Nikkor zoom lens for use with an adapter or otherwise is the 17 to 35mm. "

I have this optics. It's waaaay to heavy IMO . Fixed optics is the way to go , 50mm 1.4 for instance