7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2009 12:41 PM by (Benedikt_Mendzigal)

Worst performance EVER! Help please!

Hello everyone,
      I am extremly disappointed in Premiere Pro CS4.
      I am making a music video and I have 19 clips I (maybe) want to use. First I had the problem of synching them to my song. I made that in After Effects and had 19 layers, each with one clip right were it starts and ends, when playing the song.
      Then I exported this file in an composition to Premiere.
      Now I thought, I can finally cut... but no.
      I have managed to have 19 layers in Premiere to, so I can keep the position of the clips right where they were in After Effects. But the performance is soooo bad, I can't even edit.
      Here are some more information.
      The clips are in HD 1080p MOV; codec is 422 Pro and on some I used HDV 1080 25p. (my camera supports that ;)) But somehow the quality and performance on the HDV codecs is even worse.
      My camera is AVCHD but I imported the files over Final Cut Express into MOV 422 Pro.
      I have the fastest iMac on the market (3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo, Geforce 8800 GS and 4 GB RAM) and I can't believe this.
      I have searched very long to find some help on how to render for best quality and best performance and how to make the performance better in general but I did not find anything.
      I really hope you can help me and tell me what I do wrong or why Premiere sucks so much...

What codecs should I use, when I export from After Effects and is Premiere made for 19 Layers??
      What can I do to get better performance? (it takes about 10 seconds to just load one image of my clip and if I want to play it without rendering I see one picture all the way through....)

Sorry for my english...I am from germany ;)

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Worst performance EVER! Help please!
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I'd first ask why you started in After Effects. (There's a reason 'After' is in the name.) Typically one would just bring the raw clips into Premiere and work there.
          • 2. Re: Worst performance EVER! Help please!
            Level 1
            I had to do some effect stuff, BEFORE I could cut all that stuff.
            And the other reason is: I first wanted to cut my video in After Effects and started to position and synch my videos to my music there. It would be stupid to do this again in Premiere
            • 3. Re: Worst performance EVER! Help please!
              Level 1
              > and on some I used HDV 1080 25p. (my camera supports that ;)) But somehow
              > the quality and performance on the HDV codecs is even worse.

HDV is a delivery codec. That's why your camera uses HDV, it was optimized
              for that (AVCHD is also a delivery codec). If you want better editing
              performance, you should use a codec that was designed for editing. Consider
              using the Cineform CFHD codec, which was specifically designed for this
              purpose. You can download a free trial from their website at
              www.cineform.com.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "cut" in your other post, but I suspect
              you may not be using PPro and AE to full advantage.

Best,
              Christopher
              • 4. Re: Worst performance EVER! Help please!
                shooternz Level 6
                Your workflow is arse "about face" as Jim says. You have made you task very difficult. Synchronising audio in AEFX is a nightmare because of the lack of real time playback.

Set up and synch the base shot in Premiere then "take" it to AEFX in one of the many workflows available to you. eg. dynamic link or intermediate.
                • 5. Re: Worst performance EVER! Help please!
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >I had to do some effect stuff, BEFORE I could cut all that stuff.

Like what? Effects especially are things done after the edit is locked down, else one can experience the kinds of playback issues you're getting.

>It would be stupid to do this again in Premiere

It may be necessary, though.
                  • 6. Re: Worst performance EVER! Help please!
                    creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
                    > "...I had to do some effect stuff, BEFORE I could cut all that stuff..."

> "Like what?"

Perhaps, not what, but why?

Keep Smiling
                    • 7. Re: Worst performance EVER! Help please!
                      Level 1
                      I know I went with the wrong order...
                      But here is maybe a bit better reason: I tried to use Premiere before I made the effects, but it did not work as fluid as I wanted it to.
                      I could not playback anything without rendering it. I don't think my Mac is too slow for that.

I had to do some effects before, because I am cloning myself in some clips and I hat to cut them together before I could use them with the rest of my material.

So let's say, I would do all this again and start in Premiere. I still have to compose some shots before I can use them in Premiere. So what codec should I take for rendering in After Effects, when I do not want to buy the codec from cineform.com! I have looked at the site, and it seems to be a good investion, but if third party developers can do these things, why can't Adobe?
                      There has to be a good codec in After Effects CS4 that looks like it is uncompressed and is good for editing...

Next thing! I want to edit 15 clips or more. Is it possible to do that in a fluid way in Premiere. I would love to see all these layers at a time. I mean how could I synchronize 15 clips (that start at different times in the song) without having all that layers.
                      Are there tips or things I have to do, when I want to cut this relativly fluid?

Thanks for your patience, because I had no....but it gets better ;)

One other question: When I import AVCHD material with Premiere from my CANON HF 100, which preset do I have to pick: 1080p 25p anamorph or without anamorp?