21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 3:22 PM by digabyte

Merge Audio & Video Clips.

Adamlonsdale Level 1
      Okay i have 2 clips.

One is the Camera video + Audio
      the other is the Audio from a boom microphone.

I have them both in a bin, but because they started at different times they are out of sync. I can place the video clip into the sequence, and then replace the audio of that with the audio from the boom mic. But then i want to edit them, and cut them up. Is there any way to 'merge' the boom mics audio with the video clip, all fully synced and place it back into a bin as a 3rd clip?

Adam.
        • 1. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
          shooternz Level 6
          Line up audio and video (synch it) and then export the clip.
          • 2. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
            Adamlonsdale Level 1
            Thanks, is that the only way though? I mean that was an option, but it could take a while doing that to loads of different scenes.

Adam.
            • 3. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
              shooternz Level 6
              Well ...yes it is the only way to make a separate (standalone clip)

Why do you need to make separate clips anyway when you can just synch up the clip, link audio video and edit it?
              • 4. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                Adamlonsdale Level 1
                Just to chop it up really, as in set different in out points and split it, so i can speed up different parts and create different subclips (:
                • 5. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                  shooternz Level 6
                  Why are there different start times on the boom mic?
                  • 6. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                    Adamlonsdale Level 1
                    I meant because the boom mic is recording to an external device, and not the camera. So im taking video from the camera, audio from a hard drive, splicing them together, and then editing it as thought it was a clip straight from the camera.
                    • 7. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Make a sequence called Cutting Board. Place the clip and audio track into that, and sync them up. As you go through, make your cuts across all tracks. Copy/Paste the segments you want form the Cutting Board into the sequence they'll actually be used in. When the first clip is done, remove all the excess and start again with the next scene.
                      • 8. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                        digabyte Level 1

"Why do you need to make separate clips anyway when you can just synch up the clip, link audio video and edit it? "

What a silly question!

If you've got THOUSANDS of video clips, and then audio recorded on an external source (not the camera), you need to be able to link up the clips so you can select from linked audio and video in the Program Media Browser.

If the only way to do that is to lay EVERY SINGLE clip into the timeline, then sync the audio, then ONLY be able to access the linked clips from the timeline... then there is a MAJOR problem with Premiere.

I assume the above scenario is not the only way to sync audio and video, but it's the main problem I'm experiencing right now trying to sync RED (.r3d) files to audio so that I can edit our feature film.

I need to have the audio and video files synced together (linked) so that I can select from files in my project bins and drag them inton my sequence timelines.

Please tell me this is possible.

• 9. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the establishment of sync, take a look at this ARTICLE. You can use the boom as your main Audio, sync it up, and then delete/Mute any AV Audio, that you do not need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, once you do establish sync, if you do not need any of the AV Audio, just eliminate all of it, and then Link your boom mic material to the AV and you can cut like it was the original Audio.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              trying to sync RED (.r3d) files to audio so that I can edit our feature film.

Maybe I am missing something here, but would not plugging the boom into the XLR on the camera and disconnecting any other mic have been the better approach?

Back in the cine days, we recorded all Audio with a separate Nagra, that was synced to the cameras, and then transfered to 16mm or 35mm tape, that was locked in sync, and cut with the film. Slates were not yet digital, but worked perfectly.

I will assume that with a "feature film," you slated every take, right? You'll have no issues with the syning, as you have the slate to cue you.

If I have missed something very important, then pardon my interruption,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Please tell me this is possible.

Only in the timeline, not in bins.

• 13. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                                  Powered by Design Level 4

All you have to do is create a new sequence with the video+audio

turn off the camera audio and then sync up the boom audio

once you do that you can then create a new sequence and pull in the first sequence as a nested sequence and cut that up anyway you want and with keeping the audio linked.

You would only have to link it once for each video.

I hope this is what your looking for.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 14. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                                    digabyte Level 1

Maybe I am missing something here, but would not plugging the boom into the XLR on the camera and disconnecting any other mic have been the better approach?

Back in the cine days, we recorded all Audio with a separate Nagra, that was synced to the cameras, and then transfered to 16mm or 35mm tape, that was locked in sync, and cut with the film. Slates were not yet digital, but worked perfectly.

I will assume that with a "feature film," you slated every take, right? You'll have no issues with the syning, as you have the slate to cue you.

If I have missed something very important, then pardon my interruption,

Hunt

I assume the first sentence was for the creator of the thread, but I'll address it in regard to our project.  We didn't use this method for several reasons, the biggest being that we were running several audio sources (wireless lavs on the actors and two booms in the room) and ran them to a multitrack recorder.  I would also site wanting to minimize cables running to the camera (more mobility, less cable wrangling) as another major reason to not use the camera for the audio capture.

In regard to the slate, of course we slated every take (digital slate).

The issue isn't that we don't have something to "visually" cue us.  The issue (and it's a major one), is that Premiere doesn't allow you to sync video with audio using time code (which both Final Cut and AVID do)... In Premiere you have to do it manually by eye (syncing wav forms to video).  On top of that, the only way to save linked audio and video is in a timeline or nested clips (ridiculously ineffiecient when syncing thousands of files).

You have to either export each linked clip as a new clip with audio and video, or create a nested clip with audio and video.

You SHOULD (as all other professional video programs do) be able to sync audio and video using the time code, and then have the program "remember" where they are synced (the video would simply have the audio locked to it at that point).

Having to lay out every clip in a tineline and either access it from said timeline (rather than a bin file) or create new nested clips for each and every clip (thus cluttering your bins and workspace) is incredibly ineffecient and time consuming.

Again, Adobe REALLY needs to address this issue.

• 15. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

You SHOULD (as all other professional video programs do) be able to sync audio and video using the time code, and then have the program "remember" where they are synced (the video would simply have the audio locked to it at that point).

Can't argue with that.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 16. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.
                                        digabyte Level 1

Can't argue with that.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

My "request" has been submitted.

• 17. Re: Merge Audio & Video Clips.