8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 7:41 AM by joshtownsend

PPro to Premiere Elements...

Level 1
      Anyone know - can you open PPro projects in Premiere Elements? I wouldn't think so, but I thought I'd ask to be safe...
        • 1. Re: PPro to Premiere Elements...
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I'd be very, very surprised if you could.
          • 2. Re: PPro to Premiere Elements...
            akribie Level 2
            I doubt very much that you can read a PPro project file in PElements, but if Pelements will import an EDL that can be generated by PPro you might find an alternative route.
            • 3. Re: PPro to Premiere Elements...
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Eric,

Tested a PP2 Project with PE4. Renamed [Filename].prproj to [Filename].prel. PE4 saw it as a Pro Project and errored out, saying that Pro Projects cannot be opened in PE4. Do not know about PE7, or other versions of Pro's Project files.

PP2 will open PE4 Projects, with a conversion, but it can be a bit flakey and prone to crashes.

I'd test with newer versions of each, but that is all that I have.

Good luck,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: PPro to Premiere Elements...
                Level 1
                Thanks guys for the feedback, and thanks for the test, Bill.

I had a client call who owns Elements and wanted to know if I could give him a project file after I edited his video so he could make small adjustments later. I told him that I didn't think that was possible, but I wanted to make sure.

After hearing about all the lay-offs around the country today, I hope you all are still employed and keeping busy...2009 could be a rough one.
                • 5. Re: PPro to Premiere Elements...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Eric,

The best option would be to Export as DV-AVI. Client can bring that into a PE Project and cut away.

Depending on what Client wants to do, you might consider giving them a rough-cut, with Handles on all Clips and no Transitions. That is about as close as one can get - sorry.

As a test for the PE forum, I did manage to get a few simple PREL's to open (with conversion) into PP2, but not all of them. Depending on what was done, the majority of the tests just crashed. Never bothered looking to see what Effects, etc., would translate, as I really did not have a need. Unfortunately, going the other way, just errors out in PE, telling me, "fool, didn't you know this was created in PP? Why don't you just use THAT program - fool !!" Well, maybe that's a slight paraphrase, but you get the idea.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: PPro to Premiere Elements...
                    Level 1
                    "Unfortunately, going the other way, just errors out in PE, telling me, "fool, didn't you know this was created in PP? Why don't you just use THAT program - fool !!" "

Don't you hate it went software pulls attitude?!

Thanks for checking - he's changed his mind and doesn't require that ability anymore...but I'm sure something else will come up - you know how clients can be!
                    • 7. Re: PPro to Premiere Elements...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Yes, my software knows when it has me wrapped around it's little tentacles, er fingers. When I get a bunch of big Projects going, it knows that I cant live without it. Out comes the smartmouth and backtalk! It can get rather abusive, at times.

However, when it becomes too much to take, I just start a new Project and feed it a bunch of DivX videos, and watch it choke! Bru-hahaha!

I think that your client made a wise decision on this. Let the pro do what the pro does, and with the tools that the pro uses. If the client wants a "director's cut," or whatever, they have your telephone number.

Good luck,

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: PPro to Premiere Elements...
                        joshtownsend Level 2
                        "However, when it becomes too much to take, I just start a new Project and feed it a bunch of DivX videos, and watch it choke! Bru-hahaha!"

That gave me a good laugh.