31 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 5:48 AM by Jeff Bellune

CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting

When I export media (flv-video or mp3-audio) after I hit the 'Start Queue' button the Media Encoder just waits(?) for 20 minutes before it actually starts encoding. During that 20 min elapsed time remains at 0:00:00, PProHeadless.exe uses CPU at 45% and nothing else. After 20min 'elapsed queue time' jumps straight to 00:20:xx and starts counting, CPU crunches at 100% etc. as if nothing is wrong.

Annoying especially when exporting short mp3-files... Any ideas, anyone?
        • 1. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
          Curt Wrigley Level 4
          I believe the delay you are seeing is the time it takes to make a copy of the project file and load the temp copy into AME for processing. AME does this so you can work/change the original project in Pr while it is encoding the temp copy in the background.

It is slow for large projects and it is annoying. 20 minutes sounds extreme though. Does your project have a lot of assetts?

Curt
          • 2. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
            Level 1
            There is about 1,5 hrs of sd-video on the timeline, that's all. Well, I'll test by discarding most of it, let's see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply!

-RJ-
            • 3. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
              AME isn't working for me at all. I did a test on a 3 minute file.

I can't export anything from Premiere. I've had to recreate all of my projects in CS3 because I can't export any media from Premiere Pro CS4. This is taking a lot of time.

I'm very frustrated (bordering angry) that something as simple as exporting a video is causing errors.

Curt, when is there going to be a patch for this?
              • 4. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                Level 1
                Yes, at least that helped a lot: with 15min of video on the timeline the delay is "only" 3 minutes. That's still annoying compared to the 10 sec render time, but much better anyway. Maybe I'll dig into preferences and settings next, there might be something there to tweak...?

Thanks again!
                • 5. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  There can be delays in older versions of Premiere if the audio of the sequence isn't rendered. Premiere will render the audio "in the background", which basically means it gives no indication that it's actually doing something, and then start the actual export when the audio is done.

Might that apply here as well?
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                    Level 1
                    I have the updated latest version of Premiere CS4.

The 'normal' render time for that 15min of audio to mp3 seems to be about 30sec (both in Vegas and here in PremPro without the start-delay), so rendering audio in the background 3min to actually render the audio 30sec seems a little odd... Although that might be a part of it, of course.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                      Level 1
                      I have the same stalling problems. My project is a 10 minute video with audio soundtrack and voice over, mainly consisting of a lot still jpegs and some animated frames from 3D Studio MAX and NO live footage.

My system is super fast (Quad Xeon and 3 GB RAM and super new). But AME has been giving me a lot of problems not being able to output quicktime movies.

My usual workflow is output uncompressed quicktime losless and then use Sorenson Squeeze to output multiple formats. But it's frustrating that since CS4, now i can't even output files. AME stalls at 00:00:00 forever. I even left it overnight to see if it will catch on...nothing.

I tried reinstalling Quicktime...nothing. I have all the latest updates CS4. Hopefully Adobe is reading all our forums and working on a major patch fix.

Should we go back to CS3? Did this ever happen? I skipped CS3 and went straight from PPro 2.0 to CS4.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                        Level 1
                        Hi everyone, including those who have other problems with long wait times before AME kicks into rendering.

I dug deeper and found this post in the creative cow forums that someone may have found the problem with why AME takes forever to load a project.

I'm testing this now as I type, but maybe you guys can do the same and see if it really works. Something about "unchecking" the little tab the extreme far right of the "Filters/Audio/Video" tabs, and unchecking "include XMP metadata"

see thread here!
                        http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/889391

let us all know if this works for you!
                        -js
                        • 9. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                          Andy Urtu Level 1
                          I tried the solution from the COW. It worked for me! Thanks.

Short answer is uncheck export metadata and do not encode with metadata.
                          • 10. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                            Level 1
                            Good that it worked for you Andy.
                            Still no luck for me. I tried it and my quicktime output still
                            hangs for a few hours at 0:0:0

anyone else?
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                              J.Siew,

Put a single opacity keyframe on the first image/title at the beginning of the sequence. You don't have to set it to anything; it just has to be there. Export again. It should start right away for you.

Oddly enough, this is the same fix that is used for when a transition that connects two still images doesn't work after rendering.

-Jeff
                              • 12. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                Kevin Pavlovic Level 1
                                Hi. I was editing a short project with Premiere CS4, and had the same hang up issues on export. The weird thing was that I hadn't experienced the problem on any previous projects I had worked on.

For me, what I found was preventing Media Encoder to export was the use of premiere generated 'black video' or 'color matte' at the start of my project. I had black at the very start of my project that a title faded in from. When I removed the titles and started it directly with my video footage, Media Encoder worked just fine. Starting on pure black however, caused the same hang up that others are describing in this thread.

SOLUTION: I tried replacing premiere's black video with a black PSD file I made in Photoshop, and I still had the same problem. I also tried leaving the timeline blank with no success. However, I created a black video file through After Effects and when used in place of the Premiere generated version, the encoder worked like a charm.

Hope this helps someone else.
                                • 13. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                  Level 1
                                  Thanks much Kevin and jeff,

I will try those solutions and see. Strange workaround but nonetheless still a bug on Adobe's part, since this never happened to me before on previous versions of Premiere. Will let you guys know.

So do you think that unchecking the export metadata doesn't really work as mentioned on that Creative Cow forums?

-js
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                    >So do you think that unchecking the export metadata doesn't really work as mentioned on that Creative Cow forums?

If it worked for some people, then who are we to discount the effectiveness of the workaround?
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                      Kevin Pavlovic Level 1
                                      I just tried rendering out my project using the 'disable XMP metadata' method and it still did NOT work with an empty timeline at the start of the project or with a premiere generated black video at the start.

Dropping in a "black video" quicktime I created in after effects, had it working right away again.

I also did another test where I deleted one of my clips in the middle of my project. The encoder starts up and runs right away and then hangs in the middle of the encoding process right at where the empty footage is. So basically stay away from any empty timeline frames or using premieres black video.

I didn't see Jeff's comments earlier, so I didn't try his suggestion. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see it works in my situation.
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                        Level 1
                                        Jeff and Kevin,

that solution worked like a charm. kevin, you won't even need to put an After Effects Black video.

Like yours, i have a few seconds of black before my 1st title appears with music. So i just dragged the title clip bar to the very beginning, but as Jeff said, put a single opacity keyframe there. I set the keyframe opacity to zero for "Black" and then it just ramps up to 100 percent as the video starts.

Now exporting quicktime sorenson starts almost immediately!
                                        Great workaround guys, thanks very much. Hope others see this thread since they've been posting in other ones for the same problem.
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                          Thanks a bunch all for helping me solve my export problems. My original problem was that at a certain point in the export of a QuickTime file the Exporter would just hang. Sometimes it would freeze after 1 second but most of the time it was at about the 8 minute mark. I tried everything but in the end what worked was the following. In After effects I created a composition with parameters matching my Premiere project, left it black, then exported it as QuickTime file. I then imported the file into my Premiere project. I took all video tracks and moved them up to clear Video 1 of any items. I then added the After effects made black video to the entire Video 1 track making sure it was the first and last thing on the timeline. After that everything worked.

After all my the complex trouble shooting I've done over the past couple weeks the fix is reminiscent of how Michael J. Fox fixed the stalled Delorean in Back to the Future by bonking his forehead on the steering wheel. Whatever works...
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                            Level 1
                                            At least you guys can get to the media settings page and then AME! I'm crashing when I click the 'media' of file>export>media (or 'clipnotes') for that matter.

It just hangs and I can't click on anything. The only thing I can do is hit escape and it returns to the project....

:-(
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                                              Ed,

If you want to ask a question, at least do it in the proper way by supplying details. There are several mind readers around here, I asked them and the consensus is OE.

How to ask questions the smart way

Yet another unanswerable question without relevant details.
                                              Look here and supply details as outlined.
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                Level 1
                                                Thanks for the feedback. Afraid I've not got time to read all of that, but I shall do my best to ask a question clearly in a new thread...
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                  Funny, I don't have time to read your message now. I'll get back to you when I have time.
                                                  • 22. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                    Kevin Pavlovic Level 1
                                                    Hey Ed,

I had something similar happen to me a few times... if the escape key is taking you back to premiere and returning everything to normal, then your computer is not really hanging or crashing. What most likely is happening is that Premiere is opening a dialog box OFF SCREEN, so you just can't see it or click on it to attend to what it's asking. Hitting escape is like hitting cancel, which returns you to your project.

To fix: just mess around with your monitor setups in your display panel, ie.: if you have a dual monitor setup, temporarily disable one monitor - forcing everything to open on one screen. And/Or set your screen resolution to the maximum your video card allows so that you may uncover the off screen space the dialog opens on. OR... you're video card may have a control panel with the option of forcing all windows onto one screen or preventing off screen display. Basically do whatever it takes to get a view of off your screen.

Once you discover that missing window, make sure you move it onto your primary display, somewhere in the center, and the next time you try to encode it should be right where it should be.

Good luck.
                                                    • 23. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                      Level 1

Fixed!

I had this problem too -- I originally had CS3 installed, then installed CS4 and uninstalled CS3.  The encoder stopped working; I found this thread while I was trying to fix it.

Things started getting strange when I uninstalled CS3 -- lost my file associations, had this encoder problem and a bunch of other things.  I tried adding a black frame at the beginning with an opacity keyframe; no help.  I tried unchecking the "export metadata" flag; no help.

Finally I completely UN-installed both CS3 and CS4, deleted everything out of c:\program files\adobe (the uninstaller left lots of DLLs there), and reinstalled CS4 from scratch.  Now everything works great, including the encoder.

• 24. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                        rmc2800

Try this, this solution worked for me:

1. Close all Adobe applications.
                                                        2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. (If you installed Premiere Pro CS4 in a location other than the default of C:\Program Files\Adobe, then navigate to your custom installation location.)
                                                        3. Right-click on Adobe Premiere Pro.exe (which might appear without the .exe extension) and choose Create Shortcut.
                                                        4. Rename the newly created shortcut to just Premiere.           

Important: The name of the shortcut must be exactly Premiere with no other characters.

5. Open a second Windows Explorer window, and navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\dynamiclink.
                                                        6. Move the Premiere shortcut that you created into the dynamiclink folder.
                                                        • 25. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                          inversemedia

Nice job Adobe with your QC! Exporting Flash to QT has been broken on several releases since MX2004.

Now more workarounds.  Must be nice to have a monopoly!

Where is John Warnock when you need him?

• 26. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                            pradamedia

Everyone may have already got what they wanted from the answers given in the post but I thought I'd add my PAL experience of this.

I tried to media export a timeline to one large mixdown file. (blackmagic mjpeg) the timeline had simple premiere titles fading up and down to black before each video module.  The media encoder worked fine but none of the dissolves from timeline to title worked - they translated as cuts in the mixdown.  In the end I dropped premiere generated black video over the titles and used variable opacity to bring them in and out.  This worked fine and proves that you can export with black at the front.

What it proves however is that CS4 really is working differently to CS3 in lots of ways.

As far as media encoder is concered, I'm sure this is a grandmother sucking eggs business but it's critical for performance that the USE PREVIEW FILES option in the settings box is selected.  Otherwise CS4 starts to re-render everything and seems to be much slower at doing it than a basic timeline render. Including metadata files doesn't seem to offend too much but I only evr include this when I'm exporting final versions anyway.

• 27. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                              jtpben

I'm super frustrated as Adobe Media Encoder Won't start it's encoding at all, let alone the 20 min wait. Once I've chosen my desired export settings in Premiere, Media Encoder opens. This is where the problem comes in. Media Encoder, next to the project just displays 'Loading...' once i've clicked start queue. This is where is stops with nothing happening apart from a error message.Even after leaving it overnight, still nothing happens.

I've also tried reinstalling the software several times which doesn't make a difference. So at the moment the program is pretty much useless to me.

If anyone out is able to help me with this problem I would be extremely appreciative.

• 28. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

In order to help you we need to know quite a bit more. Click on the link below, read it carefully and follow all included links and reply to all questions asked.

Some suggestions

• 29. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                                  vkill

I also tried all with the metadata and the black video. But the thing with the Premiere Shortcut put into the dynamic link folder finally works!

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1938535#1938535

best

vkill

• 30. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting
                                                                    Grayson Bane

Gentlemen! You are scholars and genies!

I've had troubles with this for more than a month and, despite various searches, only just found this strand.  I did the one frame opacity and unticked the xmp, and lo! it ran.  Immediatly.

You've brightened my entire week!  Thankyou!

• 31. Re: CS4 Media Encoder waits 20 min before starting

Grayson,

What version are you using?  If you haven't updated to 4.1, then you should.  I think this was fixed (i.e., no workaround required) in 4.1.  If you have 4.1 and it's still an issue, then you should report that to Adobe via their bug report form.

-Jeff