11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 8:05 PM by Eddie Lotter

Scrambled preview

Level 1
      The preview to my video is scrambled in a diagonal direction in Premiere Pro. Does this have anything to do with it being the trial version, or is something else messed up?
        • 1. Re: Scrambled preview
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Boy, there's just not much information to go on there.

Let's start with where you got the video clip?
          • 2. Re: Scrambled preview
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            By "preview window" I assume you are referring to the program monitor. If you change the zoom to 400% and then back to fit, does the video clear up?
            • 3. Re: Scrambled preview
              (Rodney_Mack) Level 1
              I am having the same problem. I have tried different videos, avi and mpg. I have not tried importing direct from camera. I have also tried different project settings.
              • 4. Re: Scrambled preview
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >I have not tried importing direct from camera.

You probably should. Premiere's compatibility does seem centered around standard camera formats, with other video types often causing issues.
                • 5. Re: Scrambled preview
                  (Rodney_Mack) Level 1
                  I have captured from camera and it is still happening. This was not the case in cs3. I understand your answer that it "Premiere's compatibility does seem centered around standard camera formats, with other video types often causing issues." But then why did I get it?? If I can't put my all the clips of my kids taken previously why would I spend the money to get this. It is not a hardware issue as everything on this PC is up-to-date.
                  • 6. Re: Scrambled preview
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    > But then why did I get it??

You must answer that yourself.
                    • 7. Re: Scrambled preview
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >But then why did I get it?

Seems a lot of CS4 users are asking themselves that very question.

What camera model did you try using?
                      • 8. Re: Scrambled preview
                        Level 1
                        Long time Premiered Pro 2.0 user
                        First time poster (I think)

I have had the diagonal lines also. Everything in the program and/or source monitor will be working fine when suddenly the video becomes 'scrambled' with diagonal lines. Does this mean I have to call my cable company and pay extra for HBO? :)
                        This will usually happen if I play any video clip in Windows Media Player or if I open a folder and set the View settings to thumbnail (while the Premiere project is still up and running in the background) When I switch back to Premiere Pro, the monitor windows show up 'scambled'. My only guess is some sort of video conflict. I usually work with an external TV monitor which NEVER 'scambles'. In fact, I can continue working (ignoring the program monitor) and use the external TV monitor.
                        My work around is to save the project, close it and then re-open it.(usually without closing Premiere Pro itself)When the project re-opens, all is fine.
                        It's not that big of a deal for me, but a little annoying, and I would love to make it stop happening. Maybe I need more RAM, but I think it has happened when the computer wasn't even close to using all of the RAM (according to task manager)

Dell Dimensions 8200, 780-ish MB RAM, NVidia GeForce4 MX 420, CanopusADVC110
                        it has also happened with my other Dell Dimensions 4200 with ADS Pyro A/V link (instead of Canopus)
                        • 9. Re: Scrambled preview
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          I'm CS3, but I don't think it matters. See my workaround in post #2? Try it next time. I think it is a video card issue, but my install is not clean enough to sort out.
                          • 10. Re: Scrambled preview
                            Level 1
                            I'm having a problem with this as well. I thought perhaps it was because I captured my video with a separate product (not Premiere Pro nor any other CS 4 app). But then I started a new project, and just used some jpg's on my timeline, and I get the same effect. I tried changing the magnification as suggested in post #2, but that hasn't helped. Anyone solve this yet?
                            • 11. Re: Scrambled preview
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
                              Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
                              - Over 350 frequently answered questions
                              - Over 300 free tutorials
                              - Maintained by editors like you
                              Forum FAQ