11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 9:25 AM by Eddie Lotter

MP3 unsupported format

Tpfkas Level 1
      In previous versions I have also had troubles to import mp3's. Not with all of them but with some. Not much of a problem because I used to work around it by converting them to wav.
      Now I finally found out what causes this problem. It's embedded album art that auses the problem. If you remove the album art from the mp3 the file is acceptable. I just wanted to share this with you guys over here. And a message for Adobe that they need to resolve this bug in their software...
        • 1. Re: MP3 unsupported format
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please post an example MP3 file that we (the community) can take a look at. I was not aware you could embed binary user data in a standard MP3 file.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: MP3 unsupported format
            Tpfkas Level 1
            Hi Eddy,
            I can't figure out how to post a file over here. If you let me know I would be glad to do so. I would then upload the same file with and without the album art.
            FYI: Album Art is a picture that can be dislayed when playing a file on a media player and yes, it can be embedded into the file. I use mediamonkey as my player and with that you can add or remove album art in a mp3 file. I have tested it with a few files; when I add the album art the file is not accepted by Premiere, if I remove it the file is OK for Premiere.
            Cheers
            • 3. Re: MP3 unsupported format
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              http://www.flyupload.com/
              • 4. Re: MP3 unsupported format
                Tpfkas Level 1
                Here is a file with album art: http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=495519897
                Here is the same file with album art removed: http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=961732419

The first one gives me the unsupported format error, the second one is accepted without any problems.
                • 5. Re: MP3 unsupported format
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Ton,

I just posted links to this thread in several other forums. I've tried to help others, when a few MP3's just did not Import. Usually, many others did.

I'd always look at their files in Audition, but they always looked the same. You may well have broken the "code."

Next time, I'll get a test MP3, and Open it in iTunes first, just to see if it does have album art. Unfortuantely, I've deleted all of the tests (for others), since I had not purchased the files in question.

I had *assumed* that album art was just linked to the MP3 and was in a separate JPG, or similar.

Only MP3's that I ever Import are tiny SFX files, and there would be no album art associated with them. All others get converted to PCM/WAV and that is what gets Imported. I can see why this was never a problem for me.

Fortunately, people working in PP are usually not adverse to converting the files first. In the Premiere Elements forums, they are loathe to do so and want every format to just Import perfectly, all of the time. Same for a lot of users on the Encore forum - many try to Import and use every possible format can cannot understand why it does not work.

Thank you,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: MP3 unsupported format
                    Tpfkas Level 1
                    Hi Bill,

Glad I can help, but I haven't quite cracked the code completely yet.

First about AlbumArt: it can be stored and handled by media players in different ways. If you let WMP download AlbumArt it will store it as a seperate jpg. Players like iTunes and MediaMonkey give you the option to store as separate file or embed it.

Now: I just did a test with a couple of more file with embedded albumart and know what: some of them ARE accepted. It would be interesting to see if there are users that have mp3's without album albumart which are NOT accepted. I haven't found any in my library...
                    • 7. Re: MP3 unsupported format
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Ton,

Someone on another forum pointed me to this article for Photoshop Elements:
                      http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=332125&sliceId=1

It seems that the album art issue has been known for some time, but only in the PSE forum. Heck, I didn't even know that PSE could Import Audio files, until recently.

Hunt
                      • 8. Re: MP3 unsupported format
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

Ton, from what you say it sounds like the files that don't work are ones that have been corrupted by invalid ID3 tags.

Cheers
                        Eddie

Forum FAQ
                        • 9. Re: MP3 unsupported format
                          Tpfkas Level 1
                          Hi Bill,
                          Allright, seems like there is an issue with AlbumArt. Importing audio into Photoshop is new to me also.
                          If Adobe can confirm that AlbumArt is also an issue to import MP3 into Premiere they should also create a technote for that. Or better...solve the issue :-)

Cheers,
                          Ton
                          • 10. Re: MP3 unsupported format
                            Tpfkas Level 1
                            @Eddie,

What do you mean by "invalid"? My MediaPlayer displays the tags correctly and I have no problem editing them. The only behaviour that I note is that as soon as I remove the albumart, the file becomes acceptable...
                            • 11. Re: MP3 unsupported format
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

What I mean is simply that if it is not done correctly then some programs might be less lenient about ignoring the erroneous format.

Cheers
                              Eddie

Forum FAQ