10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 7:05 AM by axlone1@optonline.net

Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format

I understand that Premiere Elements now supports directly importing JVC's *.TOD format video files yet I still cannot seem to import such files using Premiere Pro CS4 (Mac). Am I missing something? Is Adobe putting capabilities in their 'lite' consumer application versions that they're not including in their professional software versions?
        • 1. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Yes. The consumer software is more geared towards consumer media. Which makes sense, really.
          • 2. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
            Used to have the same trouble with the old .MOD file format - it's a shame that even with CS4 I'm going to be given the same runaround with the .TOD file format. It'd be nice if JVC stopped messing around with what appears to me to be a pretty straightforward MPG format, at the same time it'd be good if Adobe could be bothered to retain what's in Elements for Premiere as well.

It's like buying a sports car that only has an automatic transmission even though the same manufacturer's family sedan comes with a manual.

Anyhoo, like you, I'm trawling through the net to find something that will fix this. Unfortunately SDCopy which worked so well with MOD files doesn't seem to do the same with TOD, but if that changes I'll post here again.

Cheers!
            • 3. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
              Level 1
              Why would someone with a MAc use Premiere (Elements or Pro) when Final Cut (Express or Pro) work much better on a Mac and IMHO are superior products?
              • 4. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
                joshtownsend Level 2
                "it'd be good if Adobe could be bothered to retain what's in Elements for Premiere as well"

It'd be good if Adobe retained more features from CS3 if you ask me. Like easy stills......
                • 5. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
                  last year I asked already to adobe to implantate the possibility to work with the .tod files. But still the cs4 programe is not complete. And its already 2009 in the age of the FHD-age?!
                  • 6. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
                    Alright guys this was very frustrating until I learned a new trick with MPEG Streamclip which works fairly well considering the other alternatives I have found. I have tried everything right down to taking a few hours to import a video into iMovie 08 by using the playlist feature, found from a different forum. My buddy today just got Elements 7 and I am ticked that not even CS4 supports TOD files and elements does, but I guess I understand that we are looking at a consumer product and working on a professional platform, although I do not accept that as a reason. I dont care cause I like learning new stuff and believe me nothing will always be as easy as plug and play so you have to do a bit of extra work. Ok now onto the good stuff -

First you need to download MPEG streamclip, do a google search I am not doing the work for you sorry.

Second you need to mount or if your on windows need to enter in the playback on pc mode on your camera (sorry I am using the GHZ-3 camcorder), and locate in your folders on the hard disk the extmov folder and in there you will se a bunch of TOD and MOI files. you only need the TOD files

Copy them to the designated folder where you will store them when you work in premiere pro, try a short sample video like 15 seconds long to make sure it works without spending much time on it.

I have TODs default program to open as MPEG Streamclip so I just double click on the TOD file on my hard drive. Inside MPEG Streamclip go to file and click on the "CONVERT TO MPEG WITH MP2 AUDIO. This will only take a few seconds and makes a mpeg file of your tod file in the folder you selected.

Import into PrPro and enjoy. Now at first you will see the Media picture instea of the converted movie, give it a few seconds and it will be there. Do what you wish to it!!!

I got this camcorder last spring and had it all this time using different codecs and crap to get it working, and finally got progress. As Long as it works I don't care how I do it. Just think a little over two decades ago we were working on MS-Dos, and look at where we are at now.

To my friend Robert Tomkins - I use PrPro because it came bundled with my software that I need so sorry to disappoint but just because you prefer FC over PrPro there is no sense to start conflict, just let it go be productive not so negative.

Anyhow I have a Macbook Pro, 2GB Ram, 320 GB Hard Drive, OS-X 10.5.6 Leopard, Adobe Master Suite CS3
                    • 7. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
                      Territan
                      Pardon the thread-resurrection, but I think I found the simplest solution yet.

JVC's "proprietary" TOD file format is nothing more than MPEG2 with time stamps. The filename would normally be .M2TS, and in fact if you go through and change all the extensions from .TOD to .M2TS, Premiere Pro and After-Effects will happily slurp them up. Copy them out of the camera, rename them, and you can get to working with them immediately.

Trouble is, that kind of spits in the face of that whole "work with footage on the camera" thing, doesn't it? I want an even simpler solution, and I'm sure one exists.

I'd like to tweak the CS apps to recognize .TOD as an equivalent of .M2TS. That way, I should be able to manage a project using assets from the camera. Does anyone have a suggestion how to do this, or request that as a future enhancement?

(The only advantage I can find to copying them out of the camera before importing them into a project is that the drive you copy them to might be faster, either Firewire Extreme or an internal HD with a kick-butt throughput. Plus you can clean out the camera and capture more footage.)
                      • 8. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
                        pgagolfer13

I have been looking at forums on this subject for the past year and renaming the file extention is the best way.

To make things just a little bit faster I would go and find a freeware app or write a batch program to batch rename all your video file extentions

• 9. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

One freeware renamer that I have liked in the past was NaMo, but I do not know which OS's it might, or might not, be ported for. I've used in on NT4 and XP-Pro, but have never tried it on Vista, or Win7.

Of course, one could use the CMD line REN with the necessary parameters and do an entire folder - the "old fashioned way."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Unable to import JVC Everio TOD video file format
                            axlone1@optonline.net Level 1

Thank you, I think your solution is indeed the easiest wasy of handling the TOD file import problem.