9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2009 7:11 AM by Jeff Bellune

Broken Codecs Found

(Sherif_Osman)
      Hello,

I went through your trouble-shooting checklist.

I ran quite a few tests and used the Sherlock software and also checked my Device drivers and found the following problems.

Sherlock software:

Warning: The following codecs were found broken:

Audio Codecs:

1. "MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Decoder ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2daac.ax")

2. "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mceampeg.ax")

Video Codecs:

1. "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2dsh264.ax")

2. "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2evh264.ax")

3. "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcevmpeg.ax")

Device Drivers:

I checked to To verify that device drivers are compatible with Windows Vista: The "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter" had a yellow exclamation mark. I tried updating it but it said I have the most current version.

Any advice, or do I need to be a programmer to use Premiere Pro CS4?

(I'm smiling now; stressed out of my mind, but smiling)

Sherif Osman
        • 1. Re: Broken Codecs Found
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Ignore the "broken" codecs--near as I can tell, that's how they always appear. Doesn't seem to cause an issue.
          • 2. Re: Broken Codecs Found
            (Sherif_Osman) Level 1
            Hi Colin Brougham,

Thanks for the info.

But my audio doesn't play when editing or exporting 'mpg' files, I get error messages that say: "ImporterProcessServer.exe" has stopped working. Premiere CS4 freezes on me after that error message...

Are you sure those broken codecs don't cause any issues?

Sherif Osman
            • 3. Re: Broken Codecs Found
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              >Are you sure those broken codecs don't cause any issues?

He's sure. And he's correct.
              >I checked to To verify that device drivers are compatible with Windows Vista: The "Microsoft ISATAP Adapter" had a yellow exclamation mark. I tried updating it but it said I have the most current version.

This is a network driver (Internet/Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol) that has nothing to do with Premiere.

Where did you get the video that you are trying to edit?
              • 4. Re: Broken Codecs Found
                (Sherif_Osman) Level 1
                Hi Jeff Bellune,

The video that I am trying to edit was from a Sony DCR-SR42 Camcorder.

I have footage that I took with that Camcorder of several professionals that I got together for a video shoot. They will not agree to meet with me again to redo that video shoot if I tell them it did not work and I have to redo it. They will just conclude that I wasted their time.

And again, my audio doesn't play when editing or exporting 'mpg' files, I get error messages that say: "ImporterProcessServer.exe" has stopped working. Premiere CS4 freezes on me after that error message...

Does Premiere CS4 not work with the Sony DCR-SR42 Camcorder?

Sherif
                • 5. Re: Broken Codecs Found
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >They will just conclude that I wasted their time.

Using that camera, I can see why a pro might think that. It's really not the best choice to pair with a professional level NLE. That's like putting moonshine in your Formula 1 race car.

You may be better off using a consumer application if you don't get things to work.
                  • 6. Re: Broken Codecs Found
                    I think CS4 has trouble with muxed .mpg files (where the audio and video are together in the same file) that have .ac3 audio.

Google for demultiplexing tools that will split the video and audio into separate files. TSRemux is a good, free one that I use occasionally.

CS4, unlike CS3, will import .ac3 audio so you can put it in the same timeline as the video, link them together, and edit normally.
                    • 7. Re: Broken Codecs Found
                      (Sherif_Osman) Level 1
                      Hi Jim Simon,

They will just conclude that I wasted their time.

"Using that camera, I can see why a pro might think that."

I thought some idiot would say something like that. and sure enough, they did :-)

Oh well,

Sherif Osman
                      • 8. Re: Broken Codecs Found
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I never disappoint.
                        • 9. Re: Broken Codecs Found
                          >I never disappoint.

:)