28 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2009 4:01 PM by Dag Norum

Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP

DVDmike Level 1
      I started a project on one machine using CS3. I captured all of the footage using CS3. The footage was regular DV footage captured direct from a DV camcorder, no special codecs or anything. Three are not even any effects of any kind on any clip. its all simply captured footage and thats all.

I move the capture hard-drive to my CS4 machine and try to open the project in CS4 on the other machine and CS4 crashes (after converting to a CS4 project) . I open the CS3 project in CS3 on this new machine and all is well. Everything is fine and a save as a new name.

Again, I try to open in CS4 and it crashes (after converting to a CS4 project). So I start CS4 again and this time I try to start a new project. So far so good until I try to import a clip that was captured using CS3. Crashes again.

Next, I open CS4 and start a new project and import both a .psd and a .mov file successfully. Then, I open an old .avi DV clip from some other project back in CS1 days. It too bombs off CS4.

Next, I export from the CS4 project the timeline with the .psd and .mov clip as a DV avi file using media encoder. Then I import the resulting file back into CS4 and CS4 again crashes. So it won't even import its own footage created in CS4!

Any ideas what is happening to me? This is the first project that I have used CS4 for other than some slide shows with still graphics.
        • 1. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
          DVDmike Level 1
          I did a help<About CS4 and it give me an "Adobe Premiere Pro V4.0 Ironside" name?  Does everyone see Ironside when they do help about?<br /><br />When I first start CS4, it does NOT list it as Ironside.  And it says 4.01, not 4.0.<br /><br />When I first downloaded the CS4 master collection and opened photoshop, PS CS4 gave me a "Stonehenge" screen which meant that it was some sort of Beta release.  Other people got this too and Adobe had to revise the build for the master collection.  I had to uninstall everything and re-download the entire suite.  Well, I had not done much work with PP CS4 until today so I cannot say for sure if Ironside was there when I first downloaded it or not.  So can someone who's CS4 works please let me know if they see Ironside when they do a help about and let me know if this is normal or not?
          • 2. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
            DVDmike Level 1
            b Can someone who's CS4 works please run PP CS4 and let me know if they see "Ironside" when they do a help-about?
            • 3. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
              Gary Andrew Level 1
              I get the ironside listing when doing a help-about
              • 4. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                "Ironside" is/was the internal code name for PPro CS4. I think CS3 was "Buffy", and 2.0 might have been "Stingray". Doesn't mean anything.
                • 5. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                  DVDmike Level 1
                  OK, thanks for checking. After the Stonehenge problem with Photoshop, I am a little paranoid.

So I'm back to my original question. Does anyone have any ideas why I cannot import a DV clip into CS4?
                  • 6. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Are you on a MAC? Why else use .mov with regular DV footage? You should have gotten a PC instead.
                    • 7. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                      DVDmike Level 1
                      i Are you on a MAC? Why else use .mov with regular DV footage? You should have gotten a PC instead.

Harm, these statements are ridiculous and are not helpful.

First off, there many reasons why I might use QT footage in a PC project. And since PP has supported and continues to support .mov and many other types of footage, the crux of statement is very odd. But it is especially irrelevant to this discussion since the only reason why I imported .mov into my project was only to determine if I could import any other type of video besides DV since I already determined that DV was not working. In this case, I was simply attempting to gather some benchmark data to see what types of footage would or would not import.

So to continue answering your obtuse questions; no I am not on a MAC and I often do use QT .mov files. But just because I am a PC user, I'd never tell a MAC user that they should have purchased a PC! And I resent MAC users who tell me that I should have purchased a MAC whenever I have an issue that needs to be resolved with my PC. How does that kind of statement add assistance to a discussion on the forum? I have no intention of starting another mac vs PC forum war. I just want some help for my particular problem of not being able to import any DV footage into a CS4 DV project.

I can also tell you that in many projects in the past I have used .mov files. All of these projects were PC projects using Adobe software. I have hundreds of royalty free clips that came in the .mov format. Up until your post, I had never heard of anyone assuming that just because someone used some .mov files that they must automatically be using a MAC! Regardless of who developed the .mov standard, its a fairly universal format, especially for uncompressed video.

I'm sorry to get off on a tangent here. I don;t want start a war between .mov and other video formats. But if anyone has any possible suggestions on what might be causing my issue with importing DV footage into a DV project, I'd appreciate the information.
                      • 8. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Try again with the original AVI files. PC captured files are AVI, if not, recapture as MS DV AVI and try.
                        • 9. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                          Mike,

You don't happen to have a BlackMagic card of some sort, do you? Either DeckLink or Intensity?
                          • 10. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                            7 responses before we found out what platform you are using, and it will be at least 11 before we find out if you have any 3rd-party hardware installed.

Now might be a good time to list your hardware specs, any special video hardware, any video-related software that's on your machine, camera make and model used for capture, whether or not you can capture DV footage using CS4 and what happens when you try, etc.
                            • 11. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              Hopefully we have the whole picture, without artefacts, before post # 50.
                              • 12. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                >Up until your post, I had never heard of anyone assuming that just because someone used some .mov files that they must automatically be using a MAC!

I tend to assume the same thing. When it comes to video, you do see .mov files more as a Mac standard, and .avi files on the PC as a standard. Makers of royalty free clips do tend to buck that tradition and release only in the .mov format.
                                • 13. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                  On a PC, with this workflow:

> I captured all of the footage using CS3. The footage was regular DV footage captured direct from a DV camcorder, no special codecs or anything.

one would expect .avi files. I never saw the possibility with a regular DV project to capture as .mov. Hence my assumption.
                                  • 14. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                    DVDmike Level 1
                                    Colin, yes. I have an AJA card installed. It is not being used for this project. But it is installed in the system. Are there some known issues between AJA and CS4? Its been so long since I did anything with it that even if I had listed my hardware specs, I might have forgotten about it.

Colin, since you have obviously been trying to help me all along, can I ask you to check your help/about one more time please? can you look at your version/build number. Mine is 4.01 (052(MC160820))

If I understood the person at adobe correctly, the build should be at least 314 and not 052. If you could verify this for me, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
                                    • 15. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                      DVDmike Level 1
                                      "Next, I open CS4 and start a new project and import both a .psd and a .mov file successfully. Then, I open an old .avi DV clip from some other project back in CS1 days. It too bombs off CS4."

Above is the reference from the original post.
                                      --------------------------------------------------
                                      Here is your response:

"On a PC, with this workflow:

I captured all of the footage using CS3. The footage was regular DV footage captured direct from a DV camcorder, no special codecs or anything.
                                      one would expect .avi files. I never saw the possibility with a regular DV project to capture as .mov. Hence my assumption."

When did I ever say that I captured anything as .mov? Why do you continue to want to argue. If you made an honest mistake, admit it and move on. But don't waste anyone's time with a post trying to make me believe that your post was rational and trying to be helpful. Telling someone that they purchased the wrong hardware is NEVER helpful. So even if you made an honest mistake, there was still no point in your original post. And you continuing to bash me to try and defend yourself is not helping.
                                      • 16. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                                        Mike,

I've got the same number as you. It's possible that they gave you the build number for the Mac version...?

Well, AJA isn't BlackMagic, but here's a quick tale:

I have an older Decklink SP card that was working fine with CS3 on Windows XP 32-bit. I recently brought my system down to zero, loaded up Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and installed CS4. For giggles, I installed the 64-bit version of the BlackMagic drivers--I knew they wouldn't work with PPro CS4, but they did work with After Effects CS4, oddly enough--I could output my comp timelines to a monitor perfectly.

However, when I tried to do anything in PPro, crash-boom-bang... the whole thing came down. I could import clips (video, audio, graphic, whatever), but attempting to load them into the Source Monitor caused PPro to begin hemorrhaging error messages. After a frantic hour of poking and prodding, I uninstalled the BlackMagic drivers, and functionality returned--PPro was no worse for wear. I would suggest completely uninstalling the AJA drivers (don't worry about pulling the card--yet) and see if that happens to fix the issue. Some of these drivers install importer and playback modules that can wreak havoc.
                                        • 17. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          >When did I ever say that I captured anything as .mov?

You actually didn't specify where you got the .mov you're importing in the original post. And you did specifically say you're exporting a DV .mov, which also crashes the app.

I can understand Harm's assumptions on this one.
                                          • 18. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                                            The number of posts is increasing. Another 30 or so and we may know what is really happening.
                                            • 19. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                              DVDmike Level 1
                                              i 7 responses before we found out what platform you are using, and it will be at least 11 before we find out if you have any 3rd-party hardware installed.

All you have to do is ask. Why the sarcasm? If you really want to help just ask what it is that you think that you need to be helpful.

yes, I have an AJA card installed. I also have many plug-ins from Red Giant Software. I also have a 1394 card installed with a TI chip in it. But my playback external devise is set to "none" so I assumed that cards were not an issue. There are no plug-ins being used to simply create a new project and import a dv AVI file created in CS4.

The footage was shot and captured using a Panasonic DVX-100. The files are .avi. But as I stated, even an .avi exported from CS4 (AME) won't import. So while one might be curious if I can capture to CS4, I do not believe that it is relevant to the issue due to the fact that no DV clip will import, even CS4 clips.
                                              • 20. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                DVDmike Level 1
                                                Colin thanks for your post.
                                                • 21. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                  Also, depending on which RG plugs you're using, they may not work in CS4 either. I regularly use Shine and Starglow, and while they work in AE, they don't work in PPro. Red Giant has been promising updated versions since November...

You might want to make sure that they're not in the CS4 Common folder. Not sure that they're the issues or not, but it's one thing you can eliminate.
                                                  • 22. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                    Who is asking here? Weren't you the one with a question and were you not the one asking for help? On this forum you are dependent on fellow editors to spend their time and effort to help you. If you need help, do give the relevant information. There have been a number of posts on what info is required to help us help you.

Back to the issue at hand:

> The files are .avi. But as I stated, even an .avi exported from CS4 (AME) won't import.

Why would you want to export with AME to import again? How did you export with AME without importing first? That makes no sense. What happens when you use a more common workflow, import the AVI into a project?
                                                    • 23. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                      DVDmike Level 1
                                                      i You actually didn't specify where you got the .mov you're importing in the original post. And you did specifically say you're exporting a DV .mov, which also crashes the app.

I can understand Harm's assumptions on this one.

Wrong Jim, here is what I said:

"Next, I export from the CS4 project the timeline with the .psd and .mov clip as a DV avi file using media encoder. Then I import the resulting file back into CS4 and CS4 again crashes."

I did not specify where I got the .mov file from, but I didn't specify where I go the .psd file from either and no one assumed that I was writing out to a photoshop sequence. And I did specifically say that I exported the clip to a DV avi file. Where did I ever say that exported a dv mov?? How can you defend a post that ends with "you purchased the wrong hardware"? I understand Harm's assumptions too. I understand that he does not want to be helpful.

The reason why this thread is so long is because people are not reading what was written. I'd bet that Colin has likely hit the nail on the head without being sarcastic, nasty, or spewing irrelevant information that is not helpful. Plus, it took just one question from him. Forums like this only work well when people are helpful and not judgmental.

Instead of trying to resolve the issue at the current time. I will just go back to using CS3 and you can all consider this post closed. This issue can be considered closed. Thank you to Colin and Gary.
                                                      • 24. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                        DVDmike Level 1
                                                        i Who is asking here? Weren't you the one with a question and were you not the one asking for help?

Harm, yes I was asking for help and you have yet to offer any, have you? Please show me one post where you were offering any help. Your first post was obviously designed to be nasty and I have been trying to defend myself ever since.

I am sorry that you did not grasp the importance of trying to export from CS4 to see if CS4 can read its own files. (This is not my normal work-flow, although sometimes I do do this to avoid rendering an entire clip with effects that is adjoined to another clip with a transition.) But if you cannot understand why I did that after unsuccessfully trying to import CS3 dv avi footage and cs1 DV footage, I cannot possible explain it to you without a conversation with you.

If you do not have the capabilities to understand my rational for this type of problem solving and you have nothing to add but "buy a PC", please just refrain from posting on my threads. That is all that I ask. If you don't want to or cannot help, then don't post. If you think that I am an idiot and feel that it is necessary to tell me, don;t. I might not be the sharpest hatchet in the woodshed, but I do not need you to tell me this. Haven't we been to this dance before?

i Why would you want to export with AME to import again? How did you export with AME without importing first? That makes no sense. What happens when you use a more common work-flow, import the AVI into a project?

All of these questions were answered in the very first post.

i On this forum you are dependent on fellow editors to spend their time and effort to help you. If you need help, do give the relevant information. There have been a number of posts on what info is required to help us help you.

I agree, I thought that I had given the relevant information. Honestly, I forgot that the forums had been combined for Mac/Win. I erroneously assumed that this was just a windows only forum. If there is a standardized form that include all of the specs that are required for editors to help, I'd be happy to fill it out and post it in the first post of any thread that I start. Until someone takes this initiate to design a standardized form, I do not think that its too much to ask for people to ask if they think that it might be relevant or simply not post on threads where users do not provide your minimum level of information.

But I also believe that people who do decide to post should be required to attempt to be helpful. I do not believe that a post that ends with the statement that one should have purchased a PC qualifies in any way as trying to being helpful evn if it were understandable that that I was using a MAC.

Do we need to continue this? If so, I think that we are going to have to exchange phone numbers so this does not go on forever.
                                                        • 25. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                          >All you have to do is ask. Why the sarcasm? If you really want to help just ask what it is that you think that you need to be helpful.

>So while one might be curious if I can capture to CS4, I do not believe that it is relevant to the issue due to the fact that no DV clip will import, even CS4 clips.

So I asked what I thought I needed to know, and you determined that it is not relevant. Nice.

Your tone from the very beginning has been demanding and impatient (see post #2 and compare the timestamp of post #2 with the timestamp of post #1 and the OP). Yet you feel terribly wronged when we get impatient with you.

It goes both ways.
                                                          • 26. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                            Eddie Lotter Level 4

I'm asking: Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
                                                            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                                            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                                            - Over 250 free tutorials
                                                            - Maintained by editors like you
                                                            Forum FAQ
                                                            • 27. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                              creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
                                                              > ".....It goes both ways....."

Sure does, in my opinion. Expressing urgency is not exactly a reason to respond thus, but #6 has been confirmed in other posts, by other posters, and is the unpleasant norm.

Assumptions were made. Bias was on display. Rudeness soon followed.

And: Words, though written plainly, were not clearly understood (by all); nor was intent of action. But then actions are never fully understood by those who would have bias.

Compound misunderstandings like this are amusing, but only in sit-coms. In other venues (like forums), they serve as ironic lessons. I urge you all (except Mike---it's his post; and Colin, who listened to the plea, sifted through his own mind, and grokked it) to read through it again, like a second viewing of "The Usual Suspects." You'll enjoy the wrong turns.

Sorry for the righteous indignation, but I really hate to see people feuding needlessly.

Keep Smiling

...(and will somebody apologize already)...
                                                              • 28. Re: Cannot open old DV files Created in older versions of PP
                                                                Dag Norum Level 2
                                                                Where I live, we have a saying:

"Self-declared disasters will come through".

If you really want it to go bad, you'll get it, to put in other words.

If you want a war, start one...... (don't turn the other cheek...)

Please remember what Creig is saying (got the spelling right now),

Keep Smiling (copyright: Creig Bryan)

Dag