1 2 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2009 2:06 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 4 Questions

Since our Premiere Elements 4 thread got lost in the forum software shuffle, I'll start it again out here.

Post you questions and I will do my best to answer them. Please note that my ability to respond is heavily dependent on my workload and travel schedule so please be patient

Mike Iampietro
      Senior Product Manager - Consumer Video
      Adobe Systems Incorporated
        • 1. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
          It is a small thing, but in PE3 in the monitor there is an icon that allows you to go back to the beginning of the movie. It seems to be missing in PE4. Or, am I missing something.

I love the ease of the Youtube sharing, but the rendering is awful. I can't remember what settings I used on prior uploads to Youtube, but they look a lot better.
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
            I'm new to Premiere but I started making slide shows with iMovie and then when to Pinnacle Studio on a PC. The cross-over to Premiere was pretty seamless. I love being able to access my images from the Organizer. I am wondering if you can tell me why the program is so slow and why it keeps crashing. I realize that Vista is being blamed (probably unfairly) for, among other things, the war in Iraq, but I am wondering if this is what is causing the slowness and crashes. I have a new computer: Gateway DX430B, Pentium Dual Core E2140 (1.60GHz, 800MHz FSB 1MB cache non-Ht); Systemboard w Intel G965 uATX w/1394, 10/100; 1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-512); 160GB 7200rpm Serial ATA 11/300 hard drive w/8MB cache; Cyberlink DVD Solutions v5 2-Channel DWL only (for Vista); plus other stuff that I don't think apply to this program. I'm going to stay with Premiere and work around the problems, but it would be nice to know why these problem exist. Thanks. Sue Spetz
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
              What types of video files are you trying to edit, Susan? Are these DV-AVIs captured by Premiere Elements over FireWire?

Also, have you optimized Vista, per our FAQ? From the factory Vista is rigged to waste a lot of resources on unnecessary stuff like Aero.
              http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

Sorry, Mike. Just trying to give you a head start. ;)
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                Level 1
                I'm simply making a slide show with images that are in PSE5's Organizer. I add transitions, titles, music, a credit page and a menu (this is the first time I have used scene markers in a slide show--neat!!) My slide shows are not fancy but adequate. My first slide show was 17 minutes and the second one was 45 minutes. That's as far as I have gotten. There are some things that baffle me. One is that before a video crashes, some or all of the images will be upside-down. Stange!?! What I have been doing is everytime I make a change, I save it. That way, the next time it crashes, I'll probably not have to redo that change. Was this explanation any help? Sue Spetz
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                  That usually happens when your photos are too large, Susan. If you resize them to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, they'll work fine -- and your program won't slow down or crash.

Photoshop Elements has a batch resizer under File/Process Multiples Files. It will even save them to a new location so that you can keep your originals at their higher resolution.
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                    Level 1
                    Thank you. That is so helpful. Can't wait to try it.

Here's another stumper. In Transitions, I am suppose to be able to choose a default desolve. The default is no desolve. When I try to make the cross dissolve as the default, it doesn't do anything. I have to manually drag this to each slide. It isn't suppose to work like that. The user guide says that the default for video and slides is cross dissolve (page 81). Why isn't it like that in my program.
                    • 7. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                      You can make any transition your default transition by right-clicking on it and setting it as your default.

I don't know what you mean by "the default is no desolve." You DO have to add a transition. It doesn't appear automatically, unless you choose for it to do so in the slideshow creator.
                      • 8. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                        Level 1
                        In my program, when I right-click on the Cross Dissolve and set it to default, it doesn't set it to default. I don't know why it doesn't work.
                        • 9. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                          It works for me. You might want to try an uninstall (Removing preferences) reinstall. Sometimes version 4 doesn't quite take, for some reason, on first installation. Don't worry. You won't lose any of your work. It's in a different area.

If this doesn't work, you can post your question again for Mike and see if he has a solution.
                          • 10. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                            Level 1
                            I uninstalled removing the preferences and reinstalled but it still doesn't work. I had tried this several times before but just used the fix. I thought for sure that would do it this time. I'm going out of town tomorrow but when I come back I'll repost to see if Mike can solve the problem. Thanks you've been a huge help. Sue
                            • 11. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                              PeterFDuke Level 1
                              I think Mike intended this thread to be a Q & A on features of PE4, not for trying to resolve a particular (non-generic) issue which should have its own thread.

To paraphrase Steve, "Sorry Mike, just trying to help".
                              • 12. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                I agree, Peter.

Susan, if you'll start a new topic on the forum and describe what you're doing and what is or is not happening in as much detail as possible, I'll do what I can.
                                • 13. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                  New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                                  Steve, is it possible to clear out the posts not related to Mike's Topic? Please :)
                                  • 14. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                    Why doesn't the Clip monitor have a shuttle like the Preview monitor does? Is this the proper place for this question?
                                    • 15. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                      To clarify Chuck's question, above...currently, you can shuttle in a movie (i.e. your timeline) on your Monitor window, but you can not shuttle in the preview window (as far as I can see!) This would be very helpful in fine tuning your in's and out's. Right now, the best you can do is either fast forward or reverse at regular or high speed, advance frame by frame, or, by using the slider, scrub over your clip at any rate, but you get choppy digital audio, as opposed to the smooth "slow motion" analog-sounding scrubbing you get by using the shuttle bar on the Monitor window.
                                      • 16. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                        Level 1
                                        And one more unrelated question - in PE2 there was a small button on the preview window that allowed you to toggle whether you wanted video & audio, just video, or just audio as you were selecting your edit points. Is this feature gone from PE4?

Thanks!
                                        • 17. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                          And to add to the monitor window enhancements. If I recall correctly there was a timer of how long the complete project was in PE2. I kinda miss that. Sometimes when I'm working on paring down a project it is good to know how long it is without having to trvel to the end on the timeline to find out.
                                          • 18. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                            Hi Mike - I'm considering purchasing PE 4.0 as I am already a Photoshop Elements 4.0 user. I recently bought my first HD vidcam, the Canon HV20. I do some shooting in 24P mode and was wondering if this is supported by PE 4.0? I see that both 720HD and 1080HD are.

Thx, Chris
                                            • 19. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                              Level 1
                                              Oh - I'm sorry, forgot this one. Does PE 4.0 have a mode were you can download directly from the vidcam and burn direct to DVD?
                                              • 20. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                Premiere Elements 4 does support he HV20 and yes you can capture via Firewire in Premiere Elements and then burn directly to DVD but I don't think you can do it in one step.

Here is a whole topic discussing Premiere Elements and the HV20
                                                http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=505
                                                • 21. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                  Level 1
                                                  > It is a small thing, but in PE3 in the monitor there is an icon that allows you to go back to the beginning of the movie. It seems to be missing in PE4. Or, am I missing something.

> And one more unrelated question - in PE2 there was a small button on the preview window that allowed you to toggle whether you wanted video & audio, just video, or just audio as you were selecting your edit points. Is this feature gone from PE4

> And to add to the monitor window enhancements. If I recall correctly there was a timer of how long the complete project was in PE2. I kinda miss that. Sometimes when I'm working on paring down a project it is good to know how long it is without having to trvel to the end on the timeline to find out

Based on usability research we simplified the preview window.

> I love the ease of the Youtube sharing, but the rendering is awful. I can't remember what settings I used on prior uploads to Youtube, but they look a lot better.

The preset we use for YouTube is based on specifications provided to us by YouTube. It exactly matches the specification YouTube encodes all files to for playback. As result files uploaded from Premiere Elements do not get reencoded by YouTube

> Why doesn't the Clip monitor have a shuttle like the Preview monitor does? Is this the proper place for this question?

Sounds like a feature request
                                                  • 22. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                    VideoJohnny Level 1
                                                    >If I recall correctly there was a timer of how long the complete project was in PE2. I kinda miss that. Sometimes when I'm working on paring down a project it is good to know how long it is without having to trvel to the end on the timeline to find out.

Just hold the curser over the bar above the timeline. It will show the full length. No need to go to the end of the timeline.
                                                    • 23. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Hi Mike -

I'm hoping you can answer my previous question, which was about the lack of shuttle control in the preview window...currently, you can shuttle in a movie (i.e. your timeline) on your Monitor window, but you can not shuttle in the preview window (as far as I can see!) This would be very helpful in fine tuning your in's and out's. Right now, the best you can do is either fast forward or reverse at regular or high speed, advance frame by frame, or, by using the slider, scrub over your clip at any rate, but you get choppy digital audio, as opposed to the smooth "slow motion" analog-sounding scrubbing you get by using the shuttle bar on the Monitor window.

Thanks

Bill
                                                      • 24. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                        Level 1
                                                        JohnnyO,

I tried the mouse over to get the total timeline clock but it doesn't work for me.
                                                        • 25. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                          Level 1
                                                          It would be nice if I could increase the hight of the 'edit-effects' window. Now I must scroll to find all the handles for almost all effects.
                                                          It would be nice if the layout of PE4 was like the layout of 3.
                                                          Less fun please...
                                                          • 26. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                            I just started using Premiere Elements 4.
                                                            I was used to Premiere Elements 3.

I was supprized that the very useful display of the real time information in PE4 has disappeared

W.r.t. PE3":
                                                            - The total length of the time-line (length of movie),
                                                            - The lenght of a clip when adjusting it,
                                                            Particularly the last one makes it very difficult to adjust it to a certain lenght of time.

In this case you have to wait for the pop-up info when hovering with the mouse over a clip, read the clip duration, calculate the change in seconds/frames and than adjust it. This is a big step back in user convenience w.r.t. PE 3 where I can see the lenght of a clip real time while chnaging it. Also the info window doesn't show the clip lenght real time. This window is updated after changing the clip lenght. This results in a try-and-error procedure.
                                                            • 27. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                              Level 1
                                                              Franz,

You might want to ry to open up the info window. This does supply a lot of information on the clip, but it doesn't give you total project length of time.
                                                              • 28. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                I have purchased PE4 and am having an issue importing MPEG files. There is no sound when I do this. I created these MPEG using PE4. There is nothing that I have found stating that MPEG imports are restricted to video only.
                                                                • 29. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                  Just a note here to remind everyone that Mike will likely be able to handle questions about the functions of the product itself -- and then to a limited degree, since he's got a lot going on beyond this forum -- but will less likely be able to work with you through technical issues.

You're welcome to post any question here, but if you've got a technical challenge, you might be better off posting to your own topic and opening up discussion to the other voices on this forum, many of which may have dealt with similar problems.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                    Is there a trial download? I thought I saw one once, but now I can't refind it.

Wonder if it's worth the upgrade since 3.0 works fine for me.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                      Per the nearby thread "Version 4 Trial Available", here's where you can download a trial.
                                                                      http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=en_us
                                                                      • 32. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                        24 hours after I installed PE4, all of the titles stopped working for all of my projects! Whenever I try to add or edit a title, a Windows box appears that says "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly...". I can only quit or press OK, and both shut down Elements before I can do anything with the titles. This now happens even in projects I began with PE4. Do any of you happen to know a possible solution? I've already repaired and reinstalled the program.

Thanks for you help,

Adam Edgerley
                                                                        • 33. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          I have the same problem. PE4 crashes when I start working with titles.
                                                                          • 34. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            I am using a dual core (Intel E6400) desktop PC with 2 GB of RAM and Windows Vista. My Camera is a Canon HiDef XH-A1 and I made recordings in HDV (1080i, 25fps).

After working a few days with PREL4, I encountered the following problems:
                                                                            - PREL4 crashes when I start using titles (work around: make clips with titles in PREL3),
                                                                            - When I export a short movie (about 7,5 minutes) to my camcorder, the firewire connection is lost after 5 to 7 minutes. Workaround export the movie to a file (mpeg 1080i 25fps) and use PREL3 to export it to Tape this works, however:
                                                                            -When PREL4 exports to mpeg 1080i 25fps, it introduced some red frames!!!
                                                                            - A PREL4 project can't be opened in PREL3.

Conclusion: I did a lot of work but with PREL4 I can't finish my project (no export of let's say more than 5-6 minutes to tape, failures when exporting to a mpeg-file, no titles !!!!!
                                                                            • 35. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              I just bought, downloaded and installed PREL 4.
                                                                              The program starts fine but when I click on "New Project" and hit return the screen goes blank and the computer reboots.
                                                                              I repaired but the same problem.
                                                                              Any help will be greatly appreciated.
                                                                              Thank you,

Uwe M.
                                                                              • 36. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                                As I said above, it's unlikely Mike will have the time to work with you all through technical issues. Please limit this thread to questions about the features of the program itself and post your technical questions to the main forum.
                                                                                • 37. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                                  Level 1
                                                                                  Thanks Steve...the purpose of this thread is to answer questions about features and capabilities of Premiere Elements 4. I am not able to provide technical support.

For help with technical issues please post to the main forum or contact our support team.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                                    Level 1
                                                                                    "the purpose of this thread is to answer questions about features and capabilities of Premiere Elements 4. I am not able to provide technical support."
                                                                                    A 'human' manual?
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Premiere Elements 4 Questions
                                                                                      Level 1
                                                                                      Help!
                                                                                      I just installed PE 4 registered it and then tried to run it. Nogo. I get the lavender circle, it begins initializing things and then disappears altogether with PE 4 failing to run. Right, so I uninstalled it, restarted my comp, turned off panda antivirus, and reinstalled PE 4. Same thing. I get the registration window, register it, and then the lavender circle disappears without the program starting up.
                                                                                      System specs: C2D processor, 3 gigs DDR2 memory, Windows XP Home service pack 2 with all updates, 2 SATA2 HDs at 160gigs apiece, and a 7600GT video card with an Acer X191W LCD monitor.
                                                                                      What gives?
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next