7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 7:14 AM by (Ros_Hamilton)

Importing video from HDV camcorder on Prem 7.

I am managing to import video from the camera but on the monitor window it comes in in jerks and there is no movement in the picture . However, when I play it back after dowloading, it is perfect. Could this be a problem with my old graphics card? I have a new one ordered. Also I cannot manage to download from HDV to Standard inspite of following all the iLink instructions on the camera. HDV - DV - ON and not having the camera on Auto. My camcorder is a Sony HDR-HC7 1080i. Should the settings be 25 fps or 30 fps (PAL) in HDV when I set it up on Premiere 7? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Importing video from HDV camcorder on Prem 7.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          Assuming you're editing in a project set up for high-def, it could be that your system hardware just isn't up to it. Or, if you're using Vista, it could be that your operating system needs tweaking so you can get full access from your hardware.

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

Also, is there a red line above your clips on the timeline?
          • 2. Re: Importing video from HDV camcorder on Prem 7.
            Level 1
            I did get a red line and realized I hadn't set it up properly for high-def. Next time there was no red line.However, I am still not sure about the fps.
            I am not a computer boffin but I see my computer is Windows XP Pro. Pentium (R) DCPU 3.20 GHz
            3.26 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
            Version 2002
            Is this what you asked for?!
            There is plenty of free space and I defrag. manually every day.
            • 3. Re: Importing video from HDV camcorder on Prem 7.
              With that rig, you won't be able to do a lot of high-def work, but you should be able to do some basic editing.

The fact that there is no red or green line above your clips means that your project is set up correctly. Things should go well from here!

And, when your system is overwhelmed (which it may never be, unless you add a lot of effects or work on very long projects), you'll know.

The most challenging thing may well be the burn to BluRay.
              • 4. Re: Importing video from HDV camcorder on Prem 7.
                Level 1
                What do you mean by the most challenging thing might be burning the BluRay? Are you saying my computer is not powerful enough and should I upgrade it somehow? Would the still pictures in the monitor window be because the computer is not man enough in its present state? Having closed the download window the video plays perfectly!

Some of my projects are over half an hour but I do them in separate chapters (peoples gardens, weddings etc) My chapters are usually 10 minutes or so. After that I burn them to a disc and the viewer can pick out whatever chapter they wish to see. I put in music, transitions, titles which is very basic I think!
                • 5. Re: Importing video from HDV camcorder on Prem 7.
                  I'm saying that only you can judge if the computer is up to snuff, Ros.

As I said, you may be just fine. But, if things start to bog down, you'll know you've reached your limits.
                  • 6. Re: Importing video from HDV camcorder on Prem 7.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Ros,

Strange playback behavior is often a sign of an inadequate I/O system, your hard drives, and such.

With slow, full or fragmented HDDs, the playback is often very choppy, lags and has drop-outs in Video and Audio.

A weak video card can also cause some of these problems, as it cannot refresh its buffer fast enough, or lacks enough buffer space to do the job. HDV material can be a challange for even fairly powerful computers.

You might want to gather up the full specs. of your machine, especially the I/O aspects and post those.

Hunt
                    • 7. Re: Importing video from HDV camcorder on Prem 7.
                      Level 1
                      I am now ready to start burning BluRay discs! I have the HDV camera and BluRay player (Xmas present) AND a HD TV!. Now to buy the burner. Can you let me know what BluRay burners are compatible or not compatible with Premiere 7. I use Nero 8 for standard video burning. I have never succeeded burning a DVD from Prem 3 or 7 with my burners and therefore had to use Nero 8. Prem 3 or 7 do not recognize my burners.

I have downloaded and edited successfully in HDV.The video is certainly downloaded in PAL HDV but I do wonder if it changes back to standard somewhere along the line!? A 38 secs. clip of excellent quality is only 36.9 MB. 720 x 576 (CCIR-601 D1). 16.9. Does this sound like HDV to you?