38 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 1:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes

When exporting my HDV project to tape on my Canon XHA1 camcorder, the camocorder stops recording after about 3 minutes. Meanwhile PE4 goes happily onward exporting, while nothing is being recorded anymore.
        • 1. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          It sounds like some process on your computer is interrupting the output.

Some possibilities:

Windows Indexing (in My Computer, right-click on your drive(s) and make sure the Indexing option is turned off)

Your virus software (though this is pretty rare on a reasonably fast or new computer)

Any program by Norton, particularly SystemWorks or 360

Any program that optimizes your drive as you work
          • 2. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
            Level 1
            This could also happen because of corrupted frame or frames at 3 minute duration on timeline, See if there is a gap or edit some part of video there.
            • 3. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
              Hi, I have the same problem.
              I tried HDV export to Cassette on two computers but the export to my canon XLH1 always stopped after 3 to 6 minutes, every time at other points. The rendering process still continues. First I thought my PC isnt strong enough. But know I tired it with a really fast one, but it is the same problem. Has someone of you ideas? Is there someone who successfully exports HDV to Mini-HDV Taps with Premiere CS3?
              Ciao Marcus
              • 4. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                Level 1
                I now tried to export the same HDV material to another Canon camcorder (HV20) and again, stops at 3:30 minutes, while PE4 indicates it's still rendering and exporting.
                • 5. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                  Level 1
                  I read in this forum, that this is a premiere problem with canon. But there is a little help.
                  Put in your camera a record protected tape. Then export to tape in premiere. When it stops and gives the message protected tape change to your project folder and search for the file HDVExport.hdv2, premiere just created. Copy it and rename the file for example to HDVExport.mpg. Now you can open this file in each other program (Vegas, Pinnacle, ), which can work with HDV mpg files. Try to export it there to the tape.
                  Ciao marcus
                  • 6. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                    Level 1
                    Marschalek,

Thanks for the helpful tip.

Bert Dalmolen
                    • 7. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                      My newly purchased XH A1 has a similar problem -- it invariably stops after some 5 or 6 minutes when I export edited HDV footage back to A1 from Premiere Pro CS3. I had the same problem with two other PCs with Premiere Pro CS3 and Premiere Element 4 installed.

Two days ago, I borrowed my friend's Sony HDR-HC9 which also uses HDV format. I can now export smoothly and successfuly to this small camera. Though I have sent A1 to Canon Service for general inspection, I suspect there is some idiosyncratic clash between Premiere and Canon camcorders.
                      • 8. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                        Bad Habit Pictures Level 1
                        Same issue here but it IS NOT Premiere related because it happens on every piece of software I tried.

I rented an HV20 to capture some 24F HD footage given to me to edit. I had no problem capturing any of the 24F or 30/60i tapes.

When I tried to Export to Tape from the PPro timeline, the transcode succeeds but the actual export dies in the manner described in this thread.

In PPro after anywhere from 6-8 minutes to as longs as 20-30 minutes, the HV20 will stop recording (even though Premiere is still outputting) and display the error message: "HDV-IN Signal Lost. Check Connection"

In Ulead Video Studio the camera displays the error message: "Check the HDV/DV Input".

Using HD Link to export the M2T files (saved and renamed from the PPro transcode process) the camera displays the same error message: "Check the HDV/DV Input".

In all instances the software kept outputting the data stream and the camera failed to completely record it.
                        What baffles me is that the Canon camera DOES record the output for a while then seems to quit after anywhere from 6 to 20 odd minutes and NEVER at the same exact time or frame.
                        I used 3 different 6-pin connectors to make sure it was not a cable related issue and attempted exports of half a dozen different projects to eliminate the possibility of individual errors within a project.

The kicker... the exact same projects exported without a single flaw or hesitation to a Sony V1u.

Googling shows this to be a big issue for this camera. Even some FCP/Mac people have complained about it. I can only surmise that it has something to do with a proprietary aspect of the Canon HV20 [I don't know how much of this is fact but apparently the cheap SOBs didn't want to pay the license fees for the same codecs that every other HDV camcorder uses, hence the "F" pull down unique to Canon].
                        Whether the same issue exists in all 4 of the Canon HD models I can only assume, but my experience with the HV20 has forever turned me off as a Canon enthusiast.
                        Regardless of superior picture or audio quality, if it cannot function seamlessly with all aspects of the technology I use, then it is useless to me.

My System:
                        Alienware dual 2.8 Zeon
                        WinXP SP2
                        4G RAM
                        (3) 250G Internal 7200 IDE RAID0
                        NVidia GForce
                        CS3 Production Bundle
                        All Software Updates Current
                        • 9. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                          Level 1
                          It seems that it is really a Canon problem with all Canon cameras. Sony cameras work without a problem.
                          • 10. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                            I've had the same problem exporting from Macrosystem's Prestige to my XH-A1, and now assume from what I've read here that the problem is a lack of adequate engineering on Canon's part. I'm frustrated at the failure of this otherwise decent machine to perform as expected. I'm even more annoyed with Canon personnel who told me when I requested help that Canon is not interested in how its equipment interfaces with anything made by another manufacturer. I'm therefore about to put my camera up on ebay to try to recover some of my loss.
                            • 11. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                              Level 1
                              Exporting from Sony Vegas to XHA1 and HV20 is no problem at all. There is some mismatch between Canon and Adobe Premiere

Bert Dalmolen
                              • 12. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                Another option that works reasonably well, based on Marschalek's idea is:
                                . as Marschalek describes, export to tape with the HD cassette in protect mode
                                . after the HDV conversion process ends and the tranfer fails, unprotect the tape and press render and record again
                                . Premiere will then start the recording part of the process
                                . watch the camcorder to make sure recording starts properly. i find sometimes it won't work the first time, and you have to press cancel and restart the recording. as long as you don't fully cancel out of the export to tape function, the temporary HDV file will remain accessible by premiere
                                • 13. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                  To output HD to a Canon HV10, I have to export from PE3 or 7 as an m2t file and them import into Magix Edit Pro 14 from where I output perfectly to tape.
                                  • 14. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                    Felix G Level 1
                                    As I just found out, much to my disappointment:
                                    the same problem occurs with my Canon HV30.
                                    "Check the HDV/DV input".
                                    But I have no idea what to check/where to look.
                                    • 15. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                      You say Sony Cameras work without a problem, then I need some help. I have Premiere CS3 and a Sony HDR-HC9. I can't get it to capture video, I have sound but no video. Playback controls work in capture mode but when I try to capture I get the adobe "generic" screen video I hear the audio but no video. Any and all help would be appreciated
                                      • 16. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                        PeterFDuke Level 1
                                        This is an export HDV to tape thread. If you have trouble capturing from tape I suggest you start your own thread.
                                        • 17. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                          Level 1
                                          Sorry, but what do you mean by starting your one thread?
                                          • 18. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                            PeterFDuke Level 1
                                            Go up one level from here to the main PE forum page, and click on the text "Add Topic" right at the top. "Thread" and "Topic" are synonyms in this context.
                                            • 19. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                              I had a similar problem with my Canon HV30. However I discovered that I captured the video with the import set to HDV 720p. When I tried to export got similar messages as described in this post. I believe this is because the Canon works with 1080i format and so doesn't recognize the 720p file. I just exported 4 minutes of video and it worked fine. I did have one small problem, adobe exported an extra minute of blank video. This was because the 'work area' handles were one minute past the end my project due to editing. Is it possible that the problem with the export failing after 3 to 6 minutes is because adobe is only exporting the work area?
                                              • 20. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                Felix G Level 1
                                                Settings on my HV30 were 1080i on capture and export.
                                                The problem occurs after more than 4 minutes.
                                                And (unfortunately): the work bar covered the whole project of approx 15 mins. So no solution there either...
                                                Regards
                                                Felix
                                                • 21. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                  Armin Stelzer

I have got the same problem when I export an HDV project to my Canon HV 30 using PE 7.0 and VISTA. The camera stops recording after about 4 minutes.
                                                  Has anybody contacted Adobe's support and have they provided any viable solution? After all Canon is one of the world's leading producers of fine cameras.
                                                  Regards
                                                  Armin
                                                  • 22. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Adobe support have referred me to Canon support. Canon support, as you've probably guessed, referred me to Adobe support.
                                                    • 23. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                      Tpfkas
                                                      Add me to the list with the same problem. I have tried it numerous times. Sometimes the reocridng proces justs stops, sometimes it stops for about half a second and then resumes.
                                                      Anybody already found a solution for this problem?
                                                      • 24. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                        It's possible a background process is interrupting the connection.

What happens if you open Task Manager (right-click on your Windows Task Bar), go to processes, right-click on Premiere Elements and give it high priority?
                                                        • 25. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                          Tpfkas Level 1
                                                          In my case it is Premiere Pro CS4. When I work with CS4 I kill as much as possible everything that is in the background; even my antivirus program. I'll have a look if giving PPRo a higher priority and report over here.
                                                          • 26. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                            Tpfkas Level 1
                                                            I tried giving it hogher priority, but then the transcoding process just does not seemt to start at all.
                                                            BTW: My camcorder is Canon HV30, and having read all the post above I conclude that it must be an issue in the combination of Adobe's software and the Canon. I'll download the Vegas trial, see if that exports OK.
                                                            FYI: you don't have to use the protected tape trick. When the transcoding has finished, just go to the export file and copy it to a new file. The original export fils is not deleted untill you push the "Done" button in the export window.
                                                            • 27. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                              New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                                                              When capturing with the HV30 it is highly recommended to use HDVSplit (free capture utility) for HDV capture or WinDV for SD capture. Then import those captured clips into your Premiere Elements project using Add Media From Files and Folders. Lots less headaches and the clips will be named correctly as well as the ability to capture by timecode.
                                                              • 28. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                Tpfkas Level 1
                                                                As experienced by others in this thread. Export to tape from Vegas works without any problem.
                                                                What even struck me is that Vegas has smart-render capability for HDV which Premiere does not have. Two minus-points for Adobe from me.. :-(
                                                                • 30. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                  SiriNeosBoss Level 1
                                                                  Hello,

I have the same problem too.

My last film was a 40 minutes film of a treking in Pyrinees Mountais.
                                                                  My plan was projecting the film to many friends (30 people), from my camera using the HDMI port. But I couldn't print the tape, so we couldn´t project the film in HD because no one solves this long time bug.
                                                                  But we watched the film because I exported it to a DVD disk and we proyected from a DVD device. ¡Poor quality if you consider my investment in new HD camera and a licence of PE7! ¡Incredible!
                                                                  My friends said that they expected better quality from my new camera.
                                                                  None of them know that behind the problem is Adobe, only Adobe, not Canon. I can say it louder but not clearer. ¡An Adobe responsability!

If Vegas works fine, is evident that the problem is in Adobe.
                                                                  Owners of Adobe, please recognize your bug and solve it for us.

Thanks,
                                                                  SiriNeos, an Adobe's customer.
                                                                  • 31. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                    This will work, Siri, and you will get excellent results if you are using the proper project settings.

It is not a bug. It is the way you are using the program. Sorry.
                                                                    • 32. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Hi Steve!
                                                                      What do you mean "It is not a bug, it is the way you are using the program"? Please tell us how to export files to a Canon HDV camera?
                                                                      I tried it on several PCs and Laptops, no chance. The export to tape in the Canon cameras (XLH1, XLA1) stops after a few minutes. With Sony cameras, there is no problem. I can export even films with 80 minutes duration.

What du you mean with "proper porject settings"?
                                                                      Thanks, Marcus
                                                                      • 33. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                        SiriNeosBoss Level 1
                                                                        Steve,

You say "This will work" when? In the next version?

Today doesn´t work!
                                                                        • 34. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                          Guys, I didn't design the program, I don't work for Adobe and I don't have to defend the program. I'm just a guy with a full-time job in another industry who spends a lot of time helping people on this and on the Muvipix.com forum.

But I'm telling you that, with the proper hardware and the proper project settings for your video, these things will work. I've seen people report success on this forum and on http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

Unfortunately, it's not available to ask all the necessary questions to help you troubleshoot your set-up. Particularly when you start from such a negative place.

I recommend you start by contacting Adobe Tech Support.
                                                                          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe7d56
                                                                          • 35. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                            Tpfkas Level 1
                                                                            @SiriNeos
                                                                            I fully understand what you wanted to try to do. As long as you don't have a Bluray burner, exporting your edited HD work back to tape and play it to a HDTV using the HDMI connection is your best option. The alternative route you took via DVD will never beat that quality level, simply because you are going form HD to SD (unless you have invested in the abandoned HD-DVD system...).
                                                                            Your frustration is very understandable and justified.

@Steve
                                                                            With all respect: you pointed a few times to either people not doing things right or system resource problems and kind of deny that it is a bug. I have been exporting SD back to tape using Premiere for already years without any problems. With HDV in combination with my Canon HVC30 I suddenly have this problem after 3-4 minutes as described by other users. Can't be anything else than a bug in the communication between Premiere and the Canon...
                                                                            • 36. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                              Point well taken, Ton. I have heard of problems with the HV30 and Premiere Elements (although the HV20, strangely) worked beautifully with it!
                                                                              • 37. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                                I have the same problem with HV30 and premier elements 7.0 - recording on the camera stops after ~4mins.

I also loaded vlc videolan and tried experimenting with this - if I opened the capture and set it to record I managed to record for 15 mins (of an hour). This may be just a fluke but I felt that there was some sort of handshaking not going on.

Seems like the only solution is to buy Sony Vegas, which after discovering that PE doesn't do smart rendering but SV does may well be justified.
                                                                                • 38. Re: Export HDV to tape stops after 3 minutes
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                                  Max CC,

You might want to post your problem to the Community on www.muvipix.com. You will need to "join," but unless you wish to download from the content section, joining is free.

There are a lot of folk using the HV20-30 and IIRC HV40's there. I'm sure that someone there will be able to offer you some ideas.

Good luck,

Hunt