11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2008 3:15 AM by synapsemedia

PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit

Running elements version 3 on vista. i imported a bunch of avi files and it almost immediately gives me a warning about low ram then says it has to close because of no ram.

i have 4 gigs (only shows 3 usable) and with pse open it says 1.3 gig are being used, anyone ever experience this?

not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated.
      peter
        • 1. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
          Paul_LS Level 4
          PE3 is a real memory hog... especially if you have over sized photos or are using HDV footage. Stills should ideally be resized to 1000x750. You will find that as you work the memory continues increasing.
          What are your source files?

Also so you have the 3.02 vista patch installed?
          • 2. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
            Level 1
            i have 3.0.2.

i am using avi files from my digital camera. i imported the same set of videos into windows movie maker and it worked with no problem. i am not using any still images at this point. it was about 1.3 gig of video in total, not that much.

I understand it is a memory hog, is it a vista thing?

Any other things I can do? Does anyone know if the latest version is any better? When I used it on windows xp i never had these problems. It is really shocking how unstable this software could be (whether it is this or vista i don't know.

Any help would be appreciated, i will contact adobe if necessary, i like to try the forums first and i often can resolve issues without bothering support, but i am concerned there is no solution for this and I have wasted my money. Photoshop elements is similar, it never closes but it runs extremely slow as compared to xp, i hope something is being done about it, i have been using many adobe products for years and have no interest in switching, but will do what i have to.
            • 3. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
              Paul_LS Level 4
              It is probably the video from your stills camera that is giving you the problem. If you convert to DV-AVI it will probably be fine. See this FAQ:
              http://adobeforums.com/webx/.3c054b56
              • 4. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
                Level 1
                also, your could try re-loading the preferences. Press <CTRL>+<ALT>+<Shift> while the application is loading.
                • 5. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2
                  When I first used Premiere Elements on Windows XP, I would get a warning that memory was low. I had to go into the control panel system settings and change custom settings for the virtual memory size so it was 1-1/2 times my RAM. Anyway, maybe you have to do something similar in Vista.
                  • 6. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
                    Level 1
                    Thanks for all the replies. I tried resetting preferences, same problem. Don't know how to change the RAM settings but not sure it would be that.

I was able to create a video with no problem in windows movie maker so I think you are right about the jpeg motion video files i am getting from my canon camera.

I tried to convert the files in moviemaker but was not able to find the save movie option in the file menu after adding movies to the storyboard. Am I missing something?

Also, any other converter programs you would recommend that i could convert it batch? Will be very painful to convert every file I want to edit.

thanks,
                    peter
                    • 7. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
                      Level 1
                      Following up on my original post. I tried converting video to DV (using Super, when using moviemaker it would squeeze the video and I couldn't stop it). I also tried mp4 and mp2 and i always get the system memory low issue. I checked the task manager and premiere elements was taking a gig of ram, but overall i was using about 1.8 gig out of 3 gig. A minute after the memory warning it always crashes.

I have about 75 video files that I import in batches, in total they are about 12 gig of video when in DV format and less in the other formats.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated, at this point I am ready to give up on premiere, it is very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
                      Peter
                      • 8. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
                        Barb__O Level 4
                        > tried to convert the files in moviemaker but was not able to find the save movie option in the file menu after adding movies to the storyboard. Am I missing something?

Under XP Windows Movie Maker for the "Save Movie File", a common oversight was to miss the "Other Settings" choice.

The process might be slightly different under Vista - but I suggest that you try to use this FAQ and see if you can adjust it for any differences in the Vista Movie Maker

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc247e2

This process has worked in XP for my motion jpeg file .avi files from multiple different Canon digital cameras.
                        • 9. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
                          Level 1
                          Thanks for the reply.

I had read through the fax, looks like it is different on vista. the choices are 'best quality for playback...', 'compress to []', 'more settings'.

more settings lets you pick the compression. the choices are DV-AVI and a bunch of wmv options. There are no other settings buttons on the screen unfortunately.

Even before rendering, in the preview window the video is squeezed.

I downloaded a trial of ulead videostudio and it is able to import all of the video files at once and edit them without any conversion, so it doesn't look like anything specific to my computer, just premiere elements.

Ulead also has a back converter, I tried that and it works. I am able to import the results into Premiere elements without a problem. Guess I will consider buying ulead for its converter. Does anyone know of any other converters i can consider that don't cost as much? I have Super but cannot figure out the right settings to get the desired result.

Thanks,
                          Peter
                          • 10. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
                            Barb__O Level 4
                            >more settings lets you pick the compression. the choices are DV-AVI

DV-AVI is what you want
                            • 11. Re: PSE 3 running out of memory (erroneously) on vista premium 32 bit
                              synapsemedia
                              I bought the PE 4 6 months or so ago. it never worked on my system. same problem - always gave me a running low on system memory error and then crashed. i called adobe support but they could not solve the issue. the disc is now jusy sitting in my drawer. i think it may be a broken product.

angus