27 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2008 6:42 AM by Paul_LS

Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista

After approximately 14 to 16 seconds of viewing any .mod video file recorded from my JVC Everio camcorder a Windows error message appears and Adobe Premiere Elements 4 immediately crashes. Is there a patch or fix for such a problem? I have checked that my computer system meets the system requirements and I am unsure what else to do other than returning the software?

Error message in full reads:
      "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working. A problem causeed the program to stop working correctly. Windows will closs the program and notify you if a solution is available"

My new HP Pavillion (m8075a) computer system includes:
      Intel Pentium D CPU 3.2GHz
      3070 MB (RAM)
      210 GB Free Space C:Drive
      Windows Vista O/S 32-bit
      RealTek HD Audio
      NVIDIA GeForce 7500 Le
      Samsung Monitor SyncMaster 226BW(Digital)

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kim
        • 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional
          To begin, you should update the firmware for your nVidia card and your RealTek drivers and get the latest version of Quicktime. These things make more of a difference than you can imagine, particularly with Vista!
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647

Then you should optimize Vista, particularly since you're using a processor that's way on the lower end of Vista's system requirements.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

Then make sure you've cleared off the unnecessary stuff on your computer on a regular basis.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a

If all that doesn't work, you may need to convert your MOD files to DV-AVIs before you edit them in Premiere Elements, which you can do with this free program.
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e

All of this information and much more is in the list of FAQs at the top of this forum.
          • 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
            I have exactly the same problem and a much higher spec PC. I've done all of the above except convert MOD(mpg) to dv-avi simply because premeire is supposed to handle mpg and it would increase my work time greatly. Also the free progam to convert is free but the quicktime mpeg2 plugin required is not and the alternative quicktime is not compatible.

As you see it's getting ridiculous I paid $200.00 for what I believed to be a quality program. If I'd bought a dvd player that didn't work from the get go I could return it and recieve a refund no questions asked. No such luck with a software program though cause I could be lying and leave a copy of it on my pc.

Not Happy
            • 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
              Level 1
              To ensure the additional plugin is included only download the free program verson 1.81 or lower; version 1.90 and above do not have the plugin included.

After installing the free program with the MPEG-2 decoder the movie files work quite well and no crashes have occured, yet....I am still a bit disappointed that I have to change file type of every file I have recorded, particularly when the packaging clearly states that .mov files are acceptable.

Oh well, no time to chat, I've got some editing to do......

Regards,

Kim
              • 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                Level 1
                Thanks Kim

I'm over my rant now and I'm ready to move on. Just a question, under streamclip I assume I export to AVI but which is the best frame size to use.

Also I downloaded a freeware program Extension Renamer to batch file change my MOD extensions.
                See link,

http://www.download.com/Extension-Renamer/3000-2248_4-10438759.html
                • 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                  Steve - you frequently recommend that people upgrade the firmware for their NVidia graphics card. Can you provide a link to where firmware updates can be downloaded? Driver updates are easy to find but I have been unable to locate firmware updates. Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                    The links are right in my post, Richard. ;)
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                      New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                      If your machine is a Dell you should go to Dell support and find the most current DVD Burner firmware along with the most current audio and video drivers for your specific machine.
                      • 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                        Level 1
                        Sorry but Adobe Premiere elements is rubbish.

My task was to import from a JVC Hard Drive Camcorder and produce a DivX file.

It took me an 1/2 hour and 3 programs to do a 5 min clip using Adobe Premiere Elements (plus 1 crash)

The same clip took me 5 min to produce in one program (Cyberlink Power Producer)
                        • 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                          Thanks for sharing, fraser. Now maybe we can get back to working with Kim on the original post for this thread.
                          • 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                            Level 1
                            Your NVidia link takes you to their DRIVER page. I do not see anything associated with FIRMWARE.
                            • 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                              Level 1
                              Yes Steve and if you bothered to read my previous posts my problem directly relates to Kims original post of which there is still no answer.
                              • 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                New Improved Chuck Engels Level 1
                                This is one of the best articles on Firmware I have ever read
                                http://onkarjoshi.wordpress.com/2007/01/04/bios-firmware-updates-for-your-system-component s/
                                • 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                  I have the exact same problem - haven't found a solution yet all my firmware and drivers are 100% up to date.
                                  • 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                    Level 1
                                    Oh and by the way converting the .mod to avi is a COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE solution. Not to mention that it is incredibly time consuming. Elements is supposed to be able to handle .mov files - period.
                                    • 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                      Yep. Got that the first time, in your other thread, David.

But that still doesn't change the fact that those files simply don't flow well through this program. Trust us on this.

As I said, the software that came with your camcorder is probably the best application for working with those files.
                                      • 16. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                        Level 1
                                        Sorry Steve. If someone sold me a black car - and I got it and it was painted green - it would be up to THEM to fix it - not up to ME.

Why do people settle for less than they were promised? I don't and I never will.
                                        • 17. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                          I agree, David. Though it's probably more like buying a black car and finding out it's gray, since there's so much "gray" area in software marketing.

But it's no less frustrating, I'm sure. Sorry.
                                          • 18. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                            Level 1
                                            Hehe - yes there certainly is. Kind of reminds me of a lot of "Dilbert" comics - promise that the "widjit" does everything and hope it can deliver on half the expectations!
                                            • 19. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                              Kim,

I have 2GB of ram and have the same problem plus. Have gone through all the troubleshooting steps, safe start, and everything else I can find tht will help. Have searched everywhere on the adobe site for help. Have checked to make sure my security is not blocking any services (ie-netflex) and updated all drivers.

Also checking logs after every crash. EVENT, SECURITY, and PROGRAM logs.

I am lucky if I can work in Prem for an hour with it not crashing or not saving. I am getting to re-install, but don't think it will make a difference as I have already done this once. I have had the program for just a couple of months and have had nothing but problems.
                                              Unfortunatly, the end result is great.

If I find a solution, I will be back. AND grissiti S - none of the things you mentioned make any difference.
                                              • 20. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                                Same problem here ... also with the JVC Everio .MOD files ... I agree buying the camera was a real mistake as I was unaware of these stupid .MOD files ... you can hardly import them into any serious editing program! Nonetheless, I did hope at least Adobe would have a stable solution for these files ... my mistake!

If the software doesn't work flawlessly with .MOD files, maybe Adobe shouldn't post them as compatible. After all, I think many JVC Everio owners bought this software in the hope it would finally clear their .MOD issues, but just as with all the other programs, Premiere doesn't live up to the (not even so high) expectations either ...
                                                • 21. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                                  hello,
                                                  I am French and I have read with some kind of pleasure messages (I could have hardly written) of unhappy people that described exactly and my problems with PE4 and my feelings about Adobe.
                                                  My computer specs are normally far above PE4 requirements:
                                                  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
                                                  graphic card Winfast NVIDIA GeForce PX 8800GT
                                                  3000 MB RAM
                                                  Vistal integral 32-bit
                                                  450 GB of free hard disk memory
                                                  Samsung monitor SyncMaster 206 BW digital

After approximately 14 to 16 seconds of viewing any .mod video file recorded from my JVC Everio camcorder a Windows error message appears and Adobe Premiere Elements 4 immediately crashes.
                                                  Error message in full reads:
                                                  "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" (in French of course but it doesn't change anything to my problem! I must add that this problem also occurs to many French guys)
                                                  Regardless what PE4 pretends, I've converted MOD files to MPG2 format but it didnt' work better. Then I've converted these files to dv-AVI format but this time the following Windows error message appears saying the file format is not managed by PE4.
                                                  Steve, do I have to install QuickTime on my computer to have PE4 works?
                                                  Please reply soon as I am very much frustrated since I bought PE4 3 months ago.
                                                  • 22. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                                    Hi, had a problem with elements 4 crashing. Try this. click on "My Computer" icon. Under "System Tasks", click on "View System Information". Click "Advanced Tab". Under "performance", click on Setting button. Select "Data Execution Prevention" Tab. You then have 2 choices. Select either "turn on DEP for Windows prog. and services only, or add the premiere elements executable to the list in the second selection. I have only tried the first option and it seemed to cure the application crashing problem. The error messages I was getting seemed to indicate a problem with Quicktime. I have no idea how this effects other programs, so try this at your own risk. Try researching DEP on Google or microsofts site if you have any hesitation. Good Luck.
                                                    • 23. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                                      Level 1
                                                      My objective is to handle MOD files from a JVC Everio Hard Drive Camcorder with Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 (PE4) as PE4 crashes after a little while when using MOD or MPG files.

Sorry Steve but I dont want to use the software that came with the JVC Everio camcorder. I bought PE4 (in euros ...) to use it. By the way MOV files used by QuickTime have nothing to do with MOD files from JVC Everio camcorder! Yes I know, it's confusing.

After some months of useless forums, reading, hardworking and frustration, I finally found a solution to the problem!! PE5 works quite well and no crashes have occurred so far....

Here it is. It's not straightforward as you have to use two different free programs but the method is simple to follow.
                                                      1. Transfer MOD video files from the JVC Everio camcorder to the PC.
                                                      2. Convert MOD files into MPEG2 files with the help of a freeware program (I used Converio)
                                                      3. Convert MPG files into DV-AVI files using Free Video Converter.
                                                      This free program is very simple to use and DV-avi files output is compatible with PE4 which is not the case with some other conversion programs.
                                                      As DV-AVI files are not compressed, they are more easily handled by video programs.
                                                      I havent been able to directly transform JVC MOD files into files fully compatible with PE4. If someone knows how to do this, please tell me.
                                                      In conclusion, I feel it is unacceptable that neither JVC nor Adobe offer the compatibility of their products. The information provided by these reputable companies is deceitful for unaware users and sometimes wrong.
                                                      • 24. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                                        Excellent points all around, Joel.
                                                        • 25. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                                          I have been experiencing intermittent problems with Premiere Elements 4.0 and Windows Vista - PE4 works fine for an hour or more, then just starts crashing. Some sessions are no problems, then the next session it shuts down immediately after launching. My camera is a Sony, and files that I've captured are avi, so I don't think it is the file type causing the problem.

I've read the thread, and tried the solution from derek goldsworth - 1:52pm Jul 13, 08 PST (#22 of 24). Since the first option was already selected and I was having problems, I went with option 2 that he suggested, and added Premiere Elements to the list. It does seem to have stabilized - I guess only time will tell if it crashes again.
                                                          Thanks for the suggestion Derek.

I am running Premiere on an HP Pavillion dv6500 notebook
                                                          AMD Turion 64 x2 CPU 1.9GHz
                                                          1983 MB (RAM)
                                                          45 GB Free Space C:Drive and 119 GB Free Space on external Drive
                                                          Windows Vista O/S 32-bit
                                                          Conexant HD SmartAudio HD2
                                                          NVIDIA GeForce 7150 M
                                                          LG Electronics 222W Monitor
                                                          • 26. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                                            Hello
                                                            I have adobe premiere 4.0 element
                                                            my pc vista 64 quar core 8 G of ram
                                                            my camcoder is sony hidefinition HDR-HC3 HDV1080i
                                                            this not support HD 1080i
                                                            the picture come out not looking good
                                                            could any one help me
                                                            thank alot
                                                            Ben from NC
                                                            • 27. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4 Crash - Windows Vista
                                                              Paul_LS Level 4
                                                              So asre you capturing HDV to PE4 using firwire capture? Are you using the correct HDV project preset? And what do you mean it does not look good?... in the preview monitor or when you export it? If when yopu export it what format are you exporting to?